Friday, May 25, 2012

Tracking His Will

Deanna and I will be returning to Peru in just a few weeks. We will once again, be working with Pastor Tito, and concentrating our efforts across the northern parts of the country. We need and appreciate your prayer support as one of the cities we will spend a week or more in, is the witchcraft center of the country. We want to see Him do a mighty work here!


Being one who loves the outdoors, I have spent a bit of time tracking animals.

There are conditions that make tracking very easy, like fresh snowfall, or a soaking rain. One can see every step taken in the new fallen snow. Similarly, the animal will leave prints in soft mud, and one can trail them relatively easily.

When tracking an animal, one must pay very close attention to the path or trail they leave. Details are important. Of course, one must occasionally look up and take in the full scope of the landscape to assure safety.

Psalm 119:105 teaches that "Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

The phrasing implies that just enough light is cast  to reveal the next step.

In tracking and in life, I struggle with this.

When I am tracking, I don't like focusing on details (though in other areas of life, details are my thing). This makes me a poor tracker. I constantly survey the landscape to look for the prize, rather than poring over every minute twig break or footpath depression. I get too easily frustrated, because of impatience and a desire just to see the animal without much effort.

I have tracked with others less experienced than me, but quickly found my flaws and their skills were based in patience and attention to detail.

If His lamp reveals just a step or two ahead, then perpetually surveying the landscape is a pointless proposition. Regardless, I continue to try to prognosticate His will. Rather than just following one illuminated step at a time, I try to connect the dots before the pattern is laid out.

I find that I have done this over and over again. Epic failure!

I am not proud of it.

Sometimes I get so focused on 'dot connecting' that I miss the obvious.

He reveals a step at a time because it requires that we remain focused and dependent upon Him. This is how it should be.

This isn't how most of us function.

When our complete dependence is placed upon Him, He takes care of the details we would otherwise fret over.

We are always trying to map out or manipulate circumstances to produce desired outcomes. This is not His way. This is not what He teaches us to do.

I need to turn blind eyes to what I think is best, and view the journey as the part of the prize. I need to wait upon Him. Where I routinely assign inflated, random value to events, objects or achievements, He is trying to reel in my focus to His path, one step at a time.

I cannot have intimate understanding of His will until I yield my heart, my time, and my focus to His Word.

Join me?


dad

5 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger gilbert said...

Yes I'll join you "dad"

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I will join you too. Good luck on your next trip to Peru. Your persistence in sharing the Word, especially in Peru, constantly amazes me. You inspire me to chase after the dream that God has laid on my heart, no matter how crazy others find it.

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will join too! And I was wondering, if it's not too much to ask, when are you going to Peru and in what part of Peru will you be serving? I am wondering because I have some friends going on a mission trip to Peru as well, in about a week. I think it would be really neat if they met you! Thank you for always being wonderful examples!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Linda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Dorothy said...

I was searching out something like this finally i discovered it quiet thrilling, optimistically you may hold posting such blogsā€¦.preserve sharing.
iogamez.com
Geometrydashonline.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home