Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I noticed as I pulled up the screen to write this morning that this is our 300th post. I have to tell you that I cannot believe it. We must thank you from the depths of our hearts for being the kind of brothers and sisters who are there continuously for those in need. I am excited to be a part of a united body that lifts others up before God's throne. You are an enormous blessing, and I Praise our Christ Jesus for each of you!

Many of you know that I work at a Christian Camp. We have a couple of ponds that we ministerially exaggerate and call Lakes. Actually, that isn't true. When the camp was purchased, the intent was to build a couple of large lakes, but red tape has slowed the process, so the ponds are what we have.

A year ago February, I was working on some outdoor education projects. One was erecting bird houses all over the property, for future study. Among those I put out was a house on a pipe at the edge of the larger (pond) lake. Well, it was winter, and the lake was frozen over with a thin sheet of ice. I had to drive the pipe into the lake bottom at the shores edge. I was using a post driver to do so.

A post driver is a heavy metal tube with one end enclosed, and ears on both sides to grip with your hands. This fits over the top of the post, and with gravity and muscle you drive the post into the ground. I was standing on a tree stump out over the water and repeatedly throwing the post driver down on the post.

To my surprise, my last stroke was in error. As I lifted the driver upward, and began the plunge down, the driver cleared the top of the post and did not connect on the way down. Instead, as I completely missed the post, the weight of the driver, and my lack of knowledge of what was happening, pitched me forward... right onto and through the ice. The water was frigid. The bank had no typical gradual grade, it was a shear drop, virtually straight down.

I was disoriented and in shock. I was working alone at this. The direction I fell was away from shore, my work boots were suddenly very heavy as were the rest of my clothes. My mind raced at a frantic pace as I tried to figure out how I was going to escape this fools errand. I did not want to die like this. Not only was it foolish, but I knew it would take a long time to find me, I had chosen this location for it's remote disposition and difficult access. Now this decision worked against me.

I scratched and clawed as more and more ice broke away. I panted heavily as the icy waters were stealing my breath. I finally got turned towards the shore, and managed to flail my way to the edge. Every thing I grabbed to try to pull myself with, came free from the shore, as if to taunt me. I could feel myself weaken, I saw my family in my mind, I saw my Savior, and I begged for release. I looked up and saw nothing but a steep unforgiving bank which would not yield to my escape. I thought it was over.

I cannot tell you how I got out. I only remember clawing at the frozen shore. The next thing I remember is walking towards my truck, dripping like a sponge, fighting the steep bramble covered incline, and fumbling with my radio. There was no way it would work... but it did. I called my co-worker and told her what had happened and that I was on my way home to shower.

The Lord had my attention! I had not been in a time of running, or turning away from Him. I was humbled beyond descriptive words that He would allow me escape from this certain peril.
I have read many stories, and they all end the same way. You don't survive... "He reached down from on high and took hold of me, he drew me out of deep waters, he rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place. He rescued me because he delighted in me." Psalm 18:16-19

I am unworthy of His delight, but I am so very grateful for His faithfulness! My life will be lived for my Savior, my King!!!

"I will lead, I will serve, I will fight. I will tell people about Christ. I will unsheathe my sword and stop playing all defense in this war. It's time to raise a revolution. God will give me the strength." (BJ Higgins)

dad

8 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I continue to marvel at how God speaks through you...

Praise God that He is so in love with us that He not only saved us from eternal death, but gave us power to live for Him!

Keep running the race well - may today be an exceptional leg!

Continuing to be on my knees for all the amazing things that are going on through obedience.

In Him,
Tammy

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God saved you for a purpose...and you are living that purpose now! Praise God that he had such plans for you. AMEN!!!!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although it has been several weeks since my last visit with the Higgins family, I am still joyed as always. I am constantly so thrilled to see your family continue to bring truth to people throughout this place.

I choose today to make a difference in this place, to honor God in everything I do and to always seek guidance from Him.

.... Glad to be back.

Kurt Bachmann
Drumright, Oklahoma

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless You and keep you warm in His embrace today!

Tina

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kewl!! God is always amazing!!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brent,
How amazing is our Lord? Really we shouldn't be at all surprised, His Word is full of His wonderful reminders of how He loves and care for us, but so often we get busy in the daily duties we forget. Thank you for the timely reminder.
He not only saves us from ponds/lakes but also from our own stumbling and doubts. He is always faithful even when we are not.
Thank you Lord that no matter what you always love us and welcome us back into Your presence.

In His Love
Linda Ronne
Shawnee,OK

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will the book be available?

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Scott Harris said...

It's very chilling that you write about that incident Brent... I just got back from Russia and while I was there I had a similar incident. While walking on the frozen river, I broke through a thin spot in the ice. I was able to get out fairly quickly and back to the hotel (it was about 5 degrees outside) and warm up. It was by the grace of God that I didn't get sick from hypothermia or get frostbite or even worse, die...

Thank you for showing me that verse in Psalms...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home