Thursday, March 16, 2006

I am writing to you from Mexico, one of the hottest and dustiest places I have ever spent time. I cannot imagine being anywhere else right now. The Lord is here, and has directed my heart to these people. I have been given the unbelievable privilege of leading a team of teens from a couple different youth groups. I did not know any of them, save two before we all came. Oh how God is working!

Seeing the light of sharing the Savior come on in the lives of students is a passion I will never outlive. Young men and women who come, not really knowing what to expect, lay it all down for a short term trip. They do not know what to expect, they just know they need to go. They get trained in a drama, they go with their friends, and they expect the best. They just don´t know what the best is.

They are moved to an address far south of their comfort zone, and asked to stand up and testify, then go out into a crowd of people they do not know, and share in a language they do not speak, some with interpreters and some without. The result? People are getting saved in huge numbers. These students have even led a deaf mute man to Christ just today, by using pictures, etc. God is amazing!

The students are learning to think outside the box. When that light comes on, it is hard to snuff it out. They cannot wait to go and share Christ with the ones they see. Some will even take this home, and begin to evangelize their schools and neighborhoods.

This is the life BJ embraced and set an example for. Before he got sick he was trying to tell me I needed to go to Mexico with Awe Star. I did not know it, but he had shared this with some of his `05 Peru team. I was a little embarassed when I found out. I mean I kind of felt like I was out of God´s will because I wasn´t planning to go. I didn´t make the Christmas Break trip he wanted me on.

BJ, I made this one, and you were right. I will never be happy unless I have the opportunity to be teaching students how to lead others to Christ, and/or then getting to see them do so, or am doing so myself. This is what it is all about. This is what it means when Paul says "for me, to live is Christ, to die is gain." Phil 1:21

It is very emotional when I see the drama performed. I see the role of the Knightmare or Satan that BJ played, and I am moved as I can so easily see him in this place (every Awe Star Satan mask has a pink swatch on it in memory of BJ). Going out to share Christ was his element. He could not wait! He wanted lost people to know Jesus. So do I.

I am thankful I had the opportunity to fulfill what the Lord, and BJ both knew I needed to do. I am so appreciative of the chance to work with students to share the gospel in the dark places... even if they are hot and dusty!

¡Gloria a Dios!

dad


Whitney and Deanna I love what you have been writing... you are blessing the hearts of many!

9 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled to hear that God is moving in the lives of the locals, the team, and yourself.
You are all being lifted up.

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
It helps me in many ways to read your words. It is hard for me to put into words but reading about these young people and what they are doing seems to put things into perspective for me. It helps me to understand the passion that my daughter has to go and share and spurs me to see the world in the same way.

As always, you are in my prayers as well as your family. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this gives me hope and an excitement I couldn't explain. dad, thank you for going. Thank you for obeying and writing, and worshiping God and being the example that you are. I have the hope that one day, whenever mom will allow it or when I'm an "adult," to go on a trip with you. Hopefully more than one, but if it's one or if it's one hundred, it will be amazing. Thank you for being so transparent, I love reading your (and Deanna's and Whit's) posts. Praying for you still.

love you all
Acts 20:24 & Philippians 1:20-21

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers are being answered all over the world...even when all we hear about or read about is bad news. Praise be to God that there are people who are willing to listen to God's call on their heart to go and spread His love around the world! I love reading these daily posts.
Blessings and peace today. Tina

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, every one of you need to ask God to take you out of your comfort zones and into areas where you can minister for Him. If He sends you to Mexico, Russia, Europe, Africa . . . that is awesome. BUT, He can use you as a missionary in your neighborhood! People are dying without Christ right next door to you. Get to work while we yet have time!! Let's DO IT!!!!

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN and AMEN!!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom and sisters--

I've enjoyed reading your guys writing again.. its good to hear from you all. Whitney.. thanks for being open w/what the Lord is teaching you w/all the craziness that we call life. Its encouraging. Mom--i hope you're doing ok at home all by your lonesome!

Dad.. i echo Tara's heart. Here's mine.. I was SO hesistant to commit to another 35day trip this summer.. thinking wow.. its gonna be SO different, my trip was exceptional. So i was almost relieved for the Lord to call me to go w/my youth group.. i hope that doesn't sound horrible to people. anyway.. But it would be so different..and so hard, and so weird in so many ways..spending time w/35 days w/people who weren't my FIRST family..those 19 people are SO special to me.
> i hope that wasn't too much blabber. try to make sense of it all.
but thats my heart..i know that every trip is different, and the Lord works differently in each one.. but i know that Peru 05 will be the rule by which all other trips are measured.

Sorry its been a few days since i've commented.. things have been crazy here.

Love you all
praying always--
~kristin

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Dear Brent:

God has taken you to a place where He can use you! It is such an awesome experience when you trust and follow Him AND He provides for you! Keep serving and loving the Lord!

Christina

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
I saw your picture on the awestar website and I was moved to tears! I have been reading your words for MONTHS and was able to finally see the face that goes with these beautiful writings!! It makes me think about how I'll feel, (only mulitplied by thousands)when I finally see the face of Jesus who has been speaking to me for years!!!!

I have also stepped out into a different world...of witnessing. I am way out of my comfort zone, but am loving every single minute of it. I have gone to a womens prison and let a prisoner to Christ, and am now involved in a wonderful ministry here in Kentucky that has several outreaches I have been going to. It is crazy and I have never experienced such happiness in my whole life!!

BJ would be VERY proud of his family and how they have stepped out where he left off. You all keep up the good work, continue to write and inspire many of us out here that read your words every day!!! I know many here in my town that read these as devotionals. I am one of many.

Lots of blessing to you all!
Debbie Schmidt
Florence, KY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home