Friday, March 24, 2006

Throughout our time in Mexico, we had many encounters with their police force. By that I do not mean we spoke to them, or were in any kind of trouble. What I mean is that when they appear, you take notice, and you don't soon forget.

They drive pick-up trucks, and you always see two vehicles come by at a time. There are two men in the cab of each truck, and the back has a bar that runs from side to side at the beds front and another at the back. Then an additional bar runs down the middle of the bed, connecting the other two. The purpose of this structure is not to put prisoners in. Four to six policemen stand in the back of the truck, and they have their machine guns resting on these bars, and aimed at you as they drive by. This has a tendency to get your attention, and make your knees a bit weak.

I have told the story many times of BJ leading the four policemen in Peru to Christ. But I must confess, that each time I did, I pictured American policemen and how they conduct themselves. BJ made it clear as did his team, that the police there are nothing like the police here. They are often corrupt, and exercise power for their own gain. They are much more like Mexican police, than American.

Every time I saw this duet of trucks pass by, I was reminded of the level of courage BJ must have exercised to follow God with a heartbeat of obedience with those policemen. I confess that there have been many times in my life that the Lord put on my heart to share with a specific person, but due to my own excuses, I was disobedient. If there was ever a time for disobedience, and a corresponding excuse based on safety, this was the moment.

Yet, his response was to do exactly what God put on his heart to do. Here's how he put it:

"...then God called me to go speak to these four policemen, I [was] kinda nervous cuz they could've easily laughed in my face, or else whip out their uzi's and order us to get off the premises, but God was teaching me obedience so I went and talked to them. As I was speaking, 2 of the 4's eyes started to well up, and you could tell they wanted Christ. [The] other 2 were also sincere... and all 4 accepted Christ."

To top off what this experience reflects, he also writes that he was having translation problems prior to the arrival of his translator. The translator arrived to help BJ pray with them to receive Christ. Whatever translation issues he thought he was having, the Holy Spirit was clearly ministering to the depths of these mens hearts. Their tears preceded the translators arrival.

Our simple obedience opens heavens access to the lost and dying. God is in control and has absolute authority and power over each and every situation. If we step out at His prompting, He moves. We must be willing to lay all else aside, and be obedient.

Three days prior, Beej wrote that "Josh's testimony inspired me... to lay my life down for God."

Six months ago this weekend, he did just that.

dad


We are traveling to Kentucky this weekend (all four of us), where we will be sharing our journey at two different churches. Please pray for receptive hearts, and for people willing to lay all else down to follow Christ. I believe He wants to call some this weekend to serve Him on the mission field. Please pray for their obedience. Please pray for my words to be His words. I do not wish to be in His way!

7 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fmaily,

I am confident that God has already prepared the way for y'all this weekend. I will continue to beg on you behalf that His Spirit will continue to touch the lives of all the people that will hear you this weekend and in the years to come.
Thank you so much for striving to further the Kingdom.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awe at the obedience that you and your family have for our Lord. I pray for safe travels and prepared hearts, and for your continued strength through your journey.

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God.. I love seeing the ways you seek after God's heart.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all such an inspiration to me. I seek your ability to surrender all at Christ's feet each and every day. I'm trying and I'm praying that God will help me to see what I need to do and give me the strength to do it.

Blessings on you all this weekend, and may God prepare the hearts of those in attendance and may He bless your time as a family together.

Tina

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing how many have stumbled accross this Blog while looking for another site. All in our Lords plan!!
You will all be in my prayer this weekend, safe travels and hopes many shall receive and be deeply touched by your message.
Bless you Family
Your friend and
Sister in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent and Deanna,

There a many people who would agree with your assesment of Police in Latin America. For that reason, they are a greatly UNreached people group. We were blessed that our first church planter in Tumbes, Peru was a policeman. One of his best testimony points was his house. While other policemen lived in nice homes and had cars, Brother Jose lived in a house of mud and bamboo...evidence that he did not take bribes!

We work in South and Central Quito. Centro has huge numbers of policemen becuase the government is there. Be praying for these guys this week, please. There is rioting going on near the Presidential Palace and as always the police are in harm's way. We pray for them to know that they are ministers for God.

Frank in Quito

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey whats up i am getting to go to Chile this summer cant wait

post a comment on my xanga

 

Post a Comment

<< Home