Monday, June 12, 2006

It was late, Sunday evening hours stretching into Monday morning. Brent, Deanna and Whitney are exhausted with the strain of hope - hope building, waning and building again. Lauren has finally, though reluctantly, headed back to Indiana Wesleyan University to start the school year. (She came back a few hours later.)

I had only been back at the hospital an hour or so after Brent's call that BJ's vitals were wavering, so I decided to stay in with BJ while the others sought much needed rest. Whenever it was coming it was only fleeting as wavering numbers had been too much a part of the six weeks at the hospital.

Standing by his bedside, leaning into it and holding onto his hand, arm, or brushing back his hair; looking into his face and talking to him, praying for him, hoping for him. Believing in my heart that the Lord was with him no matter what - he would come through this, after all, it seemed such an awesome ministry had been laid out for him to persue. A young man who was fully committed to serving him and truly open to his call - wherever it would take him. He was bold in his faith but humble of spirit (well, most of the time - he was a teenager).

Looking into his face I tried to recall our times together, our conversations, hikes and wrestling matches. I still found it hard to see this physically changed body as my nephew, still swollen and bruised from his battle with sickness. I walked around the bed and did the same thing from the other side, trying to stay clear so that the nurses could go about their work as they did so efficiently and lovingly. I closed my eyes.

I opened them again with just enough of a start to realize that I hadn't just blinked as I thought I had. The doctor was standing opposite me looking concerned and resigned. He was asking the nurse if the parents were here or if they had been called. NO! This can't be happening now - this weekend had brought trials but renewed hope through dire circumstances that he was going to live. But it had come down to "a matter of time".

As Brent, Deanna, Lauren, and Whitney slip in and go to his side I slip out and make three quick, hard phone calls on my cell phone - "we are losing him - now." During the last of these calls I hear weeping beyond my own and I feel the weight of it, I know.

Times like these bring such conviction, sorrow, even guilt, questions that can't be formed into words. Even as we see how the Lord uses this precious life - loss - there are still unresolved questions, feelings and pain. Through it all there is hope in the Lord, our King of Kings; knowing and trusting that His will is perfect, even when beyond our understanding, this is the only hope some days that can keep us going.

Thank you Lord Jesus for the hope that you give us, the grace you extend and for the promise of life eternal. Thank you for the knowledge that BJ and your other faithful servants who have gone home, are beyond suffering. Thank you for the knowledge that his story is part of yours.


Brad

P.S. Thank you to the blog family that has been praying for me through my surgery and recovery...it went very well and I am getting stronger.

7 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger natenamy said...

Brad--
It was nice to hear from you today! Nate and I are glad that you are doing well. Thank you for sharing... I can't imagine just how tough those final moments must have been for everyone, but I am glad that you were all there, as a family to support each other. That would have been important to Beej I am sure!
We will continue to pray for you as you heal... We drove by Jameson the other day and said a prayer for you in the car!
Blessings,
Amy (and Nate too)

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you...not sure why I continue to seek out this website...but I do...day after day....
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad we can pray - and it doesn't matter what color we choose! God is amazing - He is blessing. Thank you for updating us on the trip. We appreciate it!!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad--

it was great to hear from you today. such a humbling thing to hear it from a different point of view. I'm Kristin. I was part of Peru 2005. BJ was awesome. A world changer. I'm glad you're going to be sharing w/us for this month! i look forward to it!

Thanks
~kristin

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Gracie said...

Wow! I must say that was quite an encouragement to me. I know when things get rough in my life, I have the hardest time thanking and praising God. Thank you so much for demonstrating the way things should be! I am so glad that God led me to this site!
Gracie
ps. Glad to hear that your surgery went well!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad,

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the events surrounding BJ's homegoing. I know through BJ's time in the hospital you carried a lot of responsibility not only to support your brother and his family but also to keep those of us in the extended family informed with up-to-the-minute changes by making and accepting phone calls. Thank you for being such a caring and supportive example of God's grace at work even when you were hurting deeply.

On a personal level, thank you for the many, many ways that you have been an encouragement and support to me over the years.

I continue to pray for your complete healing after your surgery and for the elimination of the pain you have experienced.

Love,

Becky

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad,
As I read your message, my heart simply broke in two. Two years ago our daughter went through a serious illness, was in the hospital & rehab 107 days. There were 3 times when doctors weren't sure she would make it. No one can know the pain and struggle until you've had a loved one go through this. But she has recuperated and is back in school and doing very well. I thank God every day for what He has done. But just reading B.J.'s story makes me appreciate it even more. But yet, I'm so sad for Beej's family. I was almost there. It's SO hard to understand why these things happen. All I know is that God is still in ultimate control and some day we will know why. Your family is in our prayers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home