Saturday, June 17, 2006

One of the common interests I shared with BJ as I grew up was toy cars, they consumed much of my time as I played with them by the hour, day and week. I can't say if he would have developed that interest on his own or notbut the fact that I bought him scores of little cars didn't allow him the option of at least thinking about them as the collection took up more and more space.

On one gift-giving occasion BJ finally said to me "Uncle Brad, you sure enjoy giving me cars don't you?" It stopped me in my tracks mentally and made me stop and think each time thereafter when I was looking at the Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars hanging on the store rack. Was I looking for him or for myself? Was I buying him something that he wanted or something I wanted him to desire because I wanted that commonality with him?

In much the same way I have struggled at times with knowing or seperating the Lord's will from my own. Do I want to do something because it is what He wants of orfor me or because I want it to be His will for me? How much am I projecting my own desires (or fears) into what I "feel" he wants of me?

These aren't always easy questions to answer. It is important though that we do the best we can with the gifts we have been given, no matter how we serve Him. Our focus should be on the serving, not the accomplishment because it is He who does the work through us of we will only let Him.

Our family must thank Angela Ganote and Fox 59 for conducting and running the follow-up interview with Brent and Deanna and the sensitive way in which it was done. In this time when "good" news seems hard to find we all must be grateful for journalists who are willing to do stories that many do not see as politically correct - without editing out references to our Lord Jesus Christ. What a perfect example of using the gifts God has given.

Please be praying for Whitney as she has not been feeling well the past couple of weeks. In fact we need to be praying for the health and well-being of the entire team as they prepare for the trip to North Africa.

In Christ,

Brad

P.S. I will try to update you with information on the trip as I receive it. During this time of training the Brent and the team have very long, intense days in preparation and little opportunity to call. I can tell you that they are all tired but very excited about this opportunity and are looking forward to arriving in N. Africa.

Thank you Marti for giving the web information.

6 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Brad and all the Higgins family,

You have touched on a topic that I can definitely relate to! On the one hand, God wants to give us the desires of our hearts, but on the other hand, it's IF that is what will be in our best interests and what will glorify Him...When you couple that with a general indecisive nature that some of us (me???) posess, it makes faith and trust even more real.

Right now we have an offer on the sale of our business. After months of deliberation, we are sure that a sale is what God wants, but now we need to be sure that this is the correct buyer. So far we're feeling like it is the time and the right person--just the price isn't what we were hoping for. Ah well, we realize that money isn't all there is to happiness; the freedom to pursue other interests and ministries is the biggest impetus behind the career change. I've been a slave to my work, and that must change!!

We're praying for peace as we move ahead--it will be more than a little difficult to leave behind this business, which has been a part of my life for many years...

Philippians 3:13-14 is becoming my "battle cry:" Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Well, thanks for "listening." We're praying for all of you as you move ahead in your lives, living for Christ.

Jolene
Deer Park, TX

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another leader named Brent
Your name Pete
What is on the backside of the PrayforBJ.com T-Shirts?

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad...

Thanks for you continued updates - we will take them whenever you can get them. No worry, we will just continue to pray for what we know & what the spirit lays on our hearts.

Continue the race!

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating, Brad. The spot on FOX59 was great. I look forward to hearing how God is continuing the work that BJ started and inspired in so many others.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad and brad-

Dad--thanks for sharing yesterday! i so miss being in Dallas!! its such an incredible time. seriously. i'm so happy that you're there..i understand the overwhelming feelings..keep on keepin on. i thought of another story..i will share it w/you when i get to Tulsa in August. I'm praying for you! N Africa is going to be stinkin awesome. I love you!!!

Brad--thank you for continuing to share and for sharing w/me a side of Beej i never got to know.

love to all! praying always--
~kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home