Monday, August 07, 2006

This is hard for me to share and I am struggling to do so, but I feel the prompting of the Lord to go ahead.

Since returning from NA, I have had a great deal of difficulty seeing what the Lord did while we were there. Much of this is because of the extreme spiritual battles I found myself fighting throughout many parts of the journey there.

My friend and mentor has taught me much already since joining this ministry. One of his teachings is that "when you go into darkness, the darkness comes out in you." The country God called us to was very dark and oppressive. We were under attack most of the time we were there. I was fearful of how I would respond. I had heard stories (actually horrific ones) of how some people responded when they entered the darkness.

I feared the battle would be evident on fronts that never materialized. In reality, they came in areas that I thought the Lord and I had defeated and left behind. I became highly stressed, and lashed out in ways unacceptable. I grew increasingly frustrated over my inability to establish and control a flow of daily events that would allow us to get into a rhythm.

The truth is that it there was little I could do about this. Much of what occurred was not within my power to control. What was within my power was daily surrender, and a sturdy focus on Christ. I did not do nearly as well here as I would like to report. I caused additional confusion to those who had placed their confidence and trust in me.

I can say that they did not relent in providing me their support. They offered routine encouragement and displayed the kind of Christ-like attitude that they had been trained by their parents, youth ministers, and Awe Star to convey. I am very proud of them. I found myself asking the question "who is the teacher, and who is (are) the pupil(s)?" I learned much from their attitude and disposition under stress.

I'd love to report that this changed my poor self control. However, the truth is that upon return to the states, the combined efforts of fatigue, jet lag, weariness and this same issue, continued to find me surrendering to that which brought pain to those closest to me. It has taken me a couple of weeks to unpack all that the Lord has accomplished, as my lens has been clouded with the smudges of my own filth. I fear I do not even know all that I need to apologize for and I trust the Holy Spirit will bring conviction.

I kept my eyes on my circumstances instead of on Christ!

I was sharing with my friend Eddie about all of this. I went on to tell him that there were literally times when I felt like telling God, "You have my son, You owe me!"

Without missing a beat, he uttered with blurry eyes, and a broken voice, "I wonder how many times God looks at Eddie and Brent and says "You have my Son, you owe me."

He is so right! I was stopped fast as the Lord spoke through this.

brent

11 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You have my Son, you owe me" Wow! We must all remember this.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your openness and honesty and just allowing yourself to be vulnerable. You are a being such a good example. May we all be as open as you (the whole family) have been.

Laura O.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real growth is never easy. All one can pray for is that the lesson need be taught only once however rarely has that been my experience. Then the Lord gives a moment of clarity, "You have my Son, you owe me" and you realize His hand is on your life. Peace my friends!

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surrender yourself and move on. He is a forgiving God!! Apologize to those you hurt and allow God to heal their wounds and yours. It takes alot of patience to lead a trip. We will keep praying for you.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, I lift Deanna up in prayer right now, as she is struggling with earthly and humbling feelings that are overwhelming her. Lord, wrap your loving arms around her and her family. You gave them your Son, they have given You theirs . . . and they are human with human emotion. Take that real and unmasked emotion and give them strength to endure this grieving process. You are the comforter, Lord --- comfort them.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You have my Son, you owe me." That is a cool thought. That is really neat.

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dad-

what a lesson. thank you for your honesty..i could tell that you had been having some rough days..thank you for sharing. i will continue to pray..and God will continue to be faithful. i'm praying for deanna too..w/her patience level and her concern level for you as well.

i'm really battling w/the Lord about Him taking things from me..and here He is..smackin me in the face w/this. how appropriate.

i love yoU! i thoroughly enjoyed getting to see you..even tho it was brief.

i'm praying always.
~kristin

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such powerful words and so amazingly true. Thank you for such honesty. We all struggle with different weaknesses and believe it or not, you will probably help someone to recognize theirs and ask for help to surrender to God.

Continued prayers for all of you in this long, often painful journey.

Tina

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not been here in a wile- It is so comforting to know it still feels so comfortable. Like your warm bed when you get up in the middle of the night, these people I dont know throught this tool called the internet, mean so much to me. I forgot that. I am sorry. I committ to checking here daily, to be fed- as I used to look forward too. I am reminded today God is so constant and steady (Diane, like a "rod"). Today I am reminded of that. And once again I am broken. Funny how it is always Gods timing, not mine. Thankyou for that.

Kurt Bachmann
Drumright, Oklahoma

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

must be nice to have a family like this.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home