Friday, November 17, 2006

We have made a couple of recent trips to the storage facility where our things are being held. I have retrieved some of the many boxes of books that I have inherited. I've been unpacking them onto the bookshelves in my office. In doing so, I have run across a couple of journals that friends were writing in when BJ was in the hospital.

It is clear from their tones that there was a unified firm belief that he was going to make it. It is a strong reminder to me of just how we felt in those moments. We were just as sure that his survival was eminent.

Recently, at our iGo Conference, I was sharing BJ's story with a table of Baylor University students. Among them was an interest in serving in Peru this next summer, and they requested that I share about his journey.

I am most thankful for the many times the Lord has opened the door for this kind of opportunity. What made this time unique, was that as I shared, three or four of BJ's Peru teammates came and sat down and listened. I confess that I was nervous that as I shared. There is in me an abiding desire to be completely truthful in sharing his testimony. As his friends sat down and seemed to get lost in the story, I wondered if I was getting the details right.

I often think that as people hear his story they will feel like I am just a proud father who is taking an ordinary young man and sharing from an overdeveloped sense of what actually happened. That in a sense, I am making him sound larger than life, or more Christ-like than he actually was.

It is from this perspective my mind was focused as I concluded his story. The table fell silent for several moments, and then the unexpected happened (to me anyway). One by one, his teammates began to add their own testimonies in regards to who BJ was.

I was utterly humbled at what they had to say. One of them even began her sharing with something like, "When you hear BJ's story there is a tendency to think that there is no way he was like he is being represented..." She went on to convey that he actually was every bit that way. Story after story spilled out. It was hard not to be proud...it was hard not to weep.

As I was reading the words from one of BJ's friends written in the journal from his hospital stay, I was reminded of how those close to him, perceived him. His friend wrote:

"BJ, Hey bro you've been on my mind so much since all this...well no actually since we talked at Jumpstart. I've told people that in talking to you it was like BJ didn't even exist anymore and literally the only thing left is the Lord in you. There are so many people praying for you. My mom and I have been praying for you continually. Just know when you wake up the Lord is going to continue his incredible work in you. You are set apart from your friends and even your family. Never ever look to your right or left. Constantly fix your eyes on Jesus. Don't even look at what the Lord is doing. Just look at him. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you. I love you bro and the Lord is absolutely in control."

His words are affirming to this dad. His words speak truth of who my son was. Thank you Wesley for taking the time to share your heart on those pages. You have blessed mine.

God Bless,

dad

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds truly amazing. I pray my children will know and love God that much. You have every right to be proud. God IS in control and He is sovereign. That is not always easy but it is always true.
God Bless.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing....thank you Brent. And so true from what I have heard over this blog....there was no more Bj left, just Jesus. Obvious when he can't even breathe, but was still questioning nurse if she was saved, willing to preach about his Lord and Savior with every breath!

God bless you today...
Praying in Pink

Linda Anderson

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

missing your precious son right along with you

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speechless brent. But i'm sitting here at my comp crying.

wes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home