Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Technology is such a wonderful and terrible thing. Wonderful in that communication is not limited to anywhere in the world that provides internet. Terrible in that we have more gadgets to keep us busy and not face to face with people. Wonderful for when weather prevents you from venturing out (we're "iced" in again) and you want to maintain some contact with loved ones. Terrible that we can be easily deceived and distracted, like we are short on distractions in this world...

Brent has talked with our nephew in Peru several times and he's been able to call home about every day since he left. Obviously, he's in a city (Lima) right now. Quick story: Derek met Junior! OK that may not mean anything to you so let me explain. Junior was the translator for both Awestar teams BJ went with in 2004 and 2005! Crazy, small world we live in! Derek was wearing an Awestar shirt and that's how they figured out the connection.

A week or so after BJ's funeral, I was on the internet and I had logged in under BJ's name. We were so thankful his password was automatic and we could peruse through things he had written and said, conversations saved and stuff. Junior IM'd me expressing his condolences. I thanked him - it was my first experience on IM and I still don't ever communicate that way. Then he wrote back asking me who I was! It hadn't dawned on me, that he wouldn't know who was using BJ's log-in. Across the miles, I think we both laughed. I've never met Junior but I hope to this summer.

Seldom in my life have we truly been snowed in, and I've never been "iced" in. Honestly, it is strange. You go outside to walk on what looks like snow and you don't sink down in it. Even cars don't penetrate the icy blocks. We thought our car was going to scrap the ceiling of the garage pulling out because of the pile of snow it backed out on top of. It is treacherous out there.

I worry for our young friends who have cabin fever and insist on getting out in it. First of all, 12 people have died since this all started. Is it that we can't be still? That is my thought. I don't think we know how to be still and rest. We have so much to entertain and distract us that when we take a break from the rat race, we get restless. Resting is foreign to us. Instead of rejuvenating us, we get depressed because we're not doing anything.

Rob Bell, a pastor at Mars Hill, says "We're addicted to productivity." He makes some good points including that people who work in the animal world have learned that animals in a zoo can't be on display for more than 6 days. They go crazy or something. They have to house them one day a week. He talks of the natural rhythms of our lives and imagine this, God, our Creator, made us this way on purpose! There are rhythms to each day and week. Pastors, for instance, experience an adrenaline rush on Sunday, Mondays they're coming off but Tuesday is when they typically "crash." Since he knows this, he is better able to prepare for it. Another point he makes is that before going to bed, you don't want to do something to get your mind racing. He used to get caught up on emails before bed. He found this was not a good idea because his mind couldn't shut down for the night.

Is it hard for you to take a rest from being productive? Productivity is good, we want to use our time wisely, but in using our time wisely, in the name of productivity are we shortchanging ourselves of the "peace that passes all understanding?" (Philippians 4:7)

I love times like this. I can always find something to do, but maybe I'll try to pull myself in today. Can I just relax and rest in Him? Listen to worship music and meditate on scripture? Do nothing? It's my challenge for the day.

Can we ever quote this one too much?
Psalms 46:10 and 11 "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

I love the first part of Psalms 46 also. A friend of mine in college wrote a song with the exact words (and it's beautiful) so I never have trouble remembering it. verses 1-3 say "God is my refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though the waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their swelling pride."

Before I close, I have a few prayer concerns. Two of our cousins are facing some pretty serious issues concerning their ministry. One is married with three children, one is single. Lift them up today. God knows.

Love,
Deanna

8 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is surely a small world indeed. Lifting your cousins in prayer along with all of you today. Psalm 46, so beautiful, so difficult for me to do sometimes. I have no idea how Jonah and the Lord stayed so calm they could sleep when the seas turn stormy. By His grace I am learning but my inclination is to bail the Titanic with my thimble. Gotta do something. Maybe it's a guy thing?!! \o/

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We brag about being type "A" personalities, don't we...I do, but shouldn't. Thank you for reminding us to slow down...to listen to His voice....more difficult than it sounds

God Bless
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom-

i've enjoyed hearing from you these past couple days.

i hope that you've been enjoying your time away from school!

I LOVE Junior. he is so precious. His english is IMPECCABLE. i cant wait for you to meet him!

i love you. miss you.
praying always..
~kristin

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding us to be still. Sometimes we choose to always be moving around looking for this or that excitement when we need to be still and soak up His contentment.
I hope you are embracing your new home.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Janice Berry said...

Want to get Top Cash For Cars in Caboolture region? We have made it easy, Our team is ready to buy your car with free car removals.
car removal caboolture

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Charlie Lix said...

COMMERCIAL WRECKERS CANBERRA. Truck wreckers Canberra are you not sure what to do with that old van. You don't have to stress in your life.
truck wreckers Canberra

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Ad Cash 4 Cars said...

Car Removal Adelaide offers free Car Removals services and Cash for Cars in Adelaide. We pay instant cash upto $10000 for your car.
adelaide car removal

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Meta Liz said...

Our scrap car recycling services are the ideal way to ensure your scrap car is safely and legally removed.
scrap car removal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home