Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I’d love to take a survey of people to see how happy they are in their jobs. It seems so many are not. I know I go back and forth arguing my position. Middle school is a different atmosphere than elementary in so many ways. It’s easy to see why it’s not most teacher’s top choice. I’m continually reminded of the rough patches BJ overcame at such an age. Yet, my school has teachers that I think are exceptionally caring and highly qualified. For the most part they love it there and are able to keep disappointing behaviors in perspective. I have the utmost respect for them. The need is great and somebody has to do it!

God has shown me again and again that “It’s not about me.” Hmmm… That’s the slogan on mine and BJ’s t-shirts from a mission trip in 2005. Appropriate. My happiness in my position/ career and circumstances in life is not to be the issue. Doing what God wants me to is.

Perspective. It’s seems I’m always thinking and talking about perspective. How you view things and people and our God makes all the difference.

Several stories come to mind that we have a different perspective on now and especially since we have lost a son. Abraham offering Isaac as a sacrifice. It seems such a ludicrous thing for God to ask from our earthly perspective. When BJ was 6 feet in the air on a motorcycle lift at the hospital, Brent kept thinking about Abraham and Isaac and that moment Abraham offered his son. When Brent shares our story, it is my favorite one and continues to move me. Isaac saw there was no lamb. What if Isaac, in unusual “teenage” wisdom, said “Dad, I know you’re scared, but I believe God is going to deliver me through this. But even if he doesn’t, that’s OK ‘cause I’ll be with Him.” (BJ’s words after the blood test revealed how seriously sick he was.)

How often do we pray to be delivered from our situation? When maybe that's not the right attitude. Do we trust God enough to give us strength in the difficulty? I feel ill-equipped to teach middle schoolers, but I'm on my knees every day asking God for help. He's getting me through each day in sometimes surprising ways. Thank you Father for holding my hand - I'm counting on that firm grip!

Mom

Around 6 p.m. last night, I heard from Brent. They arrived safely in Nuevo Laredo. Thank you for your prayers for them. We know it’s a long shot, but we’re praying he gets to see Sylvia – he told her story when we got back from spring break.

9 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been going through a situation for the last two years that I keep asking God to resolve, and it just seems to keep lingering. Over and over again I have asked myself what lesson is God trying to teach me that I am not getting. Sunday night while laying in bed my husband turned on Joel Osteen and the sermon he was preaching on was about relying on God to have the strength to get through the tuff times. You brought that message home again today. Thanks!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I prepare for my trip to Peru, God continually reminds me that it is ,in fact, about Him...This just seems to be a reoccuring lesson...Thanks mom.
Matt

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna, your obedience is inspirational. Thank you for continuing to journey in uncomfortable, but needed territory. As God would have it, there is impact that sometimes is unseen and revealed at a time when we least expect it. My daughter is in middle school and is struggling with issues that seem to be happening way too soon!! She calls it "the fast track". If you want to fit-in, which is what all teenagers struggle with, you lean towards that "fast track". Right now she is leaning on her faith and finding ways to "fit" that in, which, unfortunatley, is difficult. We need to pray and walk with these kids and find ways to keep them busy doing the right things that keep them Christ centered and not world-centered. Having you in the middle school is God's way of keeping Him where He needs to be!! Thank you for your efforts!

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless You,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers... thanks and please keep going.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, mom. You inspire me.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

Deanna, I know you know this: BJ could say what he said at the time he said it because he knew that his God had ALL AUTHORITY. Authority over every disease, every symptom, every doctor, every nurse, every infection, every outcome, ALL AUTHORITY.

He does over job situations as well.

Your family and mine are counting on that . . . and so much more.

Praying for Brent and others returning from Nuevo Laredo; praying for your family as you travel and celebrate Lauren's graduation!

with tender love
and prayers in pink

Marti

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Thank you for sharing, for persevering, for continuing in obedience with this site. I am blessed richly each time you share. Praying for you and your family.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home