Thursday, October 18, 2007

I’m becoming that old woman who repeats herself and can’t remember things. My girls tease that my “Alzheimer’s” is kicking in… It’s funny; we laugh. Whether we like it or not, we’re getting older every day. Don’t ya hate those movie stars who never seem to age? Take Heather Locklear for instance. Does she age? I guess I’d rather be encouraged by those that age gracefully than discouraged by those who don’t. Rock stars for instance. The drugs and party lifestyle show. Wait… was Heather Locklear married to a rock star? Oh, I don’t know. Who can explain these things?

My thought for today is “Does your lifestyle show?” Kind of what Brent was talking about yesterday. Does our lifestyle match up with the words we speak and beliefs we proclaim.

It’s somewhat dangerous to carry your Bible around. Expectations will be raised, as well they should, but will we live up to them? Not to expect perfection, but at least an attitude that is pleasing to God and others. Sometimes it’s startling to find out who is and is not a Christian in the workplace. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy to tell one way or the other.

In a women’s group I attend, we’re discussing humility. We’re reflecting on what it means to be “clothed in humility,” ways God opposes the proud and how God responds to those who are humble.

I found it interesting that King Asa is known as a good king yet his life ended in anger and pride and rebellion. And King Rehoboam was known as an evil king, but when confronted with the truth of his sin, he repented and humbled himself. 2 Chronicles 12 through 16.

The Bible is such a study in contrasts. I’ve often wanted to write a book on opposites or ironies in the Bible. You know like:
our earthly nature tends to self promote, but the Bible teaches to think of others before yourself;
we want to find our life, the Bible says we’ll only find it when we are willing to give it up;
we want to be successful, the Bible teaches we’re to be servants;
we want to be prosperous, the Bible says it’s better to give than receive;
we say “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,” the Bible teaches mercy and forgiveness;
we say “Let’s destroy our enemies,” the Bible says love them;
we look at outer appearance and revere beauty, Jesus looks at the heart;
we want a comfortable life, the prophets and disciples endured intense suffering.

We have flaws, we make mistakes, sin is our tendency, it's the reason Jesus was necessary.

Is your life in contrast to what you proclaim? I pray Christians everywhere wake up to the fact that the world is watching us and may we draw them to a better understanding of what it means to truly follow Christ rather than turning them away in confusion with our mixed signals.

Mom

3 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During a recent bible study, I spoke about how my daily commute can be a study and illustration of my journey with Christ. It's a time when I am "invisible" to others, yet visible to Christ.

Do I cut others off in my haste to stay "in front". Do I slow down and let my "brothers" in front of me? Do I let other's agressive action affect me? Am I agressive, etc, etc. Unfortunately it depends on where I am with Christ at that moment.

I'm ashamed that I am so inconsistent, yet I'm quite certain that applies to all of us "Christians" (my bible is along side me as I drive).

We are all sinners. I only pray that Christ will help me improve my outward apprearance to others...that He will help me appear more Christ-like, because I'm quite certain I can't do it without Him.

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put Deanna and friend from Greenfield.

brad

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed that reminder. May God bless you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home