Monday, May 05, 2008


Cinco de Mayo!


There have been many times recently where I had to pause and question my motivations.

It is so easy to begin serving in an area for all of the right reasons, only to get lost along the way, and become rather self-centered. What was formerly done as "unto the Lord" has become something completed for the praises of men.

Sometimes it takes a pretty significant jolt to awaken me.

I am not fond of this within myself. My upbringing taught me to be humble and gentle. I had one of the best teachers ever...my father. He was truly the most humble and godly man I have known. He was a model of living for Christ and not for self. He did what God called him to do, and never got caught up in the push for materialism and power.

I was having a conversation with a friend recently about how difficult it is to live a humble, godly life. So many today who have the anointing of the Lord on them, have somewhere along the way become self-focused and self promoting. Somewhere in the journey of following God and His call and will for our lives, we begin to follow our own pursuits.

We begin to seek hard our own distorted views that have resulted from a once clear calling. It takes very little to get off course.

I was teaching students recently a truth that I find compelling. The definition of "wickedness" is: "A slight deviation from the intended purpose."

Many of us begin strong and pursue Him hard. Along the way, we begin to accept certain things as reality and begin to justify slight deviations, as acceptable. Before long, we are self promoting under the banner of service to Him.

I have seen this happen in the lives of too many and have tried to guard against it in my own life. I often find that I am failing at this. It is so easy to believe certain things to be true or necessary. It is too easy to accept certain worldly truths as being a part of the gospel I follow. It is too easy to deviate slightly from the Truth and the result can be devastating.

I cannot use the excuse that believers around me are faltering or even accepting things as truth that aren't. My accountability is to Him. Justification of that which seems logical doesn't play when I stand before my Savior. I am to exemplify Him in every situation...at all costs.

To promote self in the process, because I believe I have something to offer based on the calling God has given me, is to "slightly deviate" from my anointing. My anointing has everything to do with Him, and nothing to do with me. To promote self is to fail to understand my calling. He will direct my paths and surround me with those He wishes to help accomplish His will. My role is to step where He guides, and not take detours for the purposes of self fulfillment. My fulfillment is most visible when I am completely yielded.

This does not mean I sit back and do nothing. It means that when I have opportunity to bring glory to Him, I pursue it. When I take advantage of opportunities to point others to Jesus, I will experience joy and fulfillment. When I point others to my own giftings or abilities in the process of pointing to Him, I deviate ever so slightly from who He has called me to be.

Father, forgive me for getting off course. It was not my intention. Thank you for pointing that out to me. You are an amazing God!

brent

4 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You serve amazingly
Bless you Brent

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute picture!
You described your Dad well. He was a great brother to me and a great example also.
Your California cousin said how she feels about you. When I told her about our conversations about your Dad when I was with you, her response was for you to look in the mirror. We love you much and can see how the Lord is using you to impact the lives of teens.
Aunt Maralyn

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, thanks for being real and humble. Not often do we like to point out our imperfections or deviations, however it proves we NEED the Savior and need Him with our whole heart and passion, with our very lives. Not for our good, but to bring Him glory! May the Glory be to God!! Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home