Monday, May 12, 2008


I couldn't resist...


"Are you feeling particularly heavy today?"

This was a question I posed to a co-worker several years ago, when I was employed in the secular world. I know it sounds cold and unfeeling, but wait a moment, please read on?

We had known each other for years. We had been side by side managers of different departments and had been through much together. Sarcastic humor was how we got through.

On this day, seeing her for the first time that morning, I noticed she was wearing a new necklace. The necklace had an unusual charm attached.

The charm was a silver manatee (which I intentionally called a walrus).

When I saw this hanging around her neck, I could not help but ask, "Are you feeling particularly heavy today?"

The look she gave me said it all. It revealed so many things. It was evident that the next words out of my mouth had better let her off of the hook, or she was going to light into me. She did not understand my question and thought I was insinuating something that I was not. We were close, but that was far too bold. She was ready to toss me under a moving bus.

I quickly pointed to her manatee and said, "With that walrus hanging around your neck, I thought you might feel unusually heavy."

Her laughter and relief, ensued.

She proceeded to tell me about her recent vacation to Florida and the "manatee" not walrus, population, and a bunch of stuff I didn't care about, but I had opened the door.

I have often thought about her response. I have often thought about the question. It became a standing joke between us, and was reflected back on when the situation needed comic reprieve.

Today I pose the question for a different reason. Too often in our lives, we feel particulary heavy...burdened, and have no one to share it with. Too often, we pass through our lives caring too little about what others are facing, and refuse to take the time to ask, even though the burden is clear.

As the body of Christ, we have the privilege of coming together to pray for each other during these critical times. I would encourage you to share your burdens here, so that we can pray over them. We will pray over them.

Sometimes it is an encouragement just to know that others are praying. This is a praying group of people, and I know your situation will be lifted up. I receive e-mail from many of you letting me know of your sitations that need prayer, but I would ask that you also let this body know and pray.

If you find you are feeling particularly "heavy" today, or any day, feel free to share, and we will pray.

By the way, I don't recommend that you pose this question to others that you do not know really well!

dad

2 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy for a family that I have gotten to know over the last year. It seems there are alot of wounds, deep wounds, that aren't being healed and are being ignored. They are pronounced Christians, yet they shield their hearts from dealing with their hurt and grief. Please pray that they will allow the Spirit to tear down walls of protection for REAL protection in Him --- and healing!

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Brent. It is good to know that we can pray for each other here. Like you said, it can be encouraging to know that others are praying for you. God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home