Wednesday, January 14, 2009


Whitney and her Mother-in-Law, Nancy


Deanna and I have been reconnecting with High School and/or college friends via the technology on the internet. It has been pretty exciting at times, we find out where people are and what they are doing.

One such friend of Deanna's lived in a nearby town in Texas, when we were visiting the Law family, over Christmas. Deanna and I met them for coffee (I should have posted that pic today...maybe tomorrow). When I say them, I mean Deanna's friend and her husband.

These kind of reconnection's can be uncomfortable. I remember going to a high school reunion and watching everyone trying to impress everyone else. I did not enjoy it very much.

A couple of the friends who were there that night, reconnected. They had been acquaintances in high school and little more...they got married a few months later.

What is interesting to me, is how we all change.

Some grow into their lives with more grace than others. Some grow wider, others thinner, some lose their hair, and still others seem to combine most of these elements, and can be unrecognizable.

I am often amazed at who was popular during these times. Popularity is fickle and has little to do with substance. It is fleeting and foolish, yet too many have been hurt by those who were considered so. It's a good thing we get to grow up!

I guess it's inevitable, but as I was reconnecting on the social internet network, facebook, I came across a young woman I had known in college. We had been friends. Not close friends or best friends, just friends.

I attempted to reconnect with her. I actually knew her little sister as well, and had come to do so through social engagements.

She did not recognize me.

I cannot be surprised. We have not been in touch for over 25 years. However, the nature of our friendship was wholesome and stable, so I had hoped...

Anyway, I keep a picture of myself on facebook from when I was in college. It was actually my senior picture. I had a lot of hair then. People who don't recognize me from that era, usually have vague memories, once they see the hair! I directed her to that page to take a look. Who knows if it will actually help.

Life happens, and we have so much going on that it is not easy to stay in touch. Some of us are less memorable than others, too. Not necessarily because we want to be, but often because we have not done outlandish or infamous things (at least that others are aware of).

I reconnected with a grade school friend recently, that I knew through college. As we began to get caught up, I have thoroughly enjoyed the hearing about her family and the things that are important to her.

She is not different than most of us. She speaks of husband, children, job and accomplishments. I'm sure I have done likewise.

As this occurs, I have been mindful of something. Regardless of who remembers me and who does not, I am always known by my Savior!

Many of us long for connection points that may or may not come. They may be consistent or they may short term. Regardless, we still want to be known. We want to know that our life matters and that it is important.

To Him, it is! He has such plans for us that we have yet to come to know! It is exciting to grow more intimate with Him, to be known more by Him, and to have Him seek to draw us even closer.

Some of us spend a lifetime trying to find in other people, what can only be found in Him.

Regardless of marriage, family, bff's and other relationships, the one that truly endures through time and tests (if we stay focused) is the one with Him.

He constantly pursues us, if we are paying attention. Many do not.

Along the way, a few of us are afforded a mate for life that is an extension of His love for us. I have been thusly blessed.

Deanna and I have been through a great deal in our time together. Regardless of how we look, at this point (and she looks great!) we are closer now than ever, and I am so very thankful for her love, her encouragement and her friendship! She is an amazing woman of God, and I praise Him for her!

Happy 26th Anniversary my love!


brent

7 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, I remember the drive to Houston for your wedding and realizing how many parallels there were between Deanna's family and ours.

I love you both and hope that your Anniversary is a special one!

Brad

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Brent and Deanna! May the Lord continue to shine through your living His way.
Mark \0/

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger KK said...

Oh yay! I'm so excited for you both!!!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there were only more men like you! I admire your devotion to your wife and most of all to your Lord. Wishing you both a Happy Anniversary!
Heidi

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

Having just returned from one wedding, it seems appropriate to celebrate another that continues as an example of love and faithfulness. I did not know you 26 years ago but I do know how blessed I am to call you my friends and partners in ministry today.

Happy, Happy and Blessed Anniversary

with tender love
and prayers in pink,

Marti

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

God Bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home