Wednesday, March 25, 2009


Deanna and Pablo


Tomorrow morning, I leave for Indiana. On Friday morning, I will be on the Harvest Show. This is a national broadcast and may run in your area live or later. Their web address is www.harvest-tv.com. I will be in the South Bend studio for this interview. I would appreciate your prayer support. Unfortunately, Deanna cannot come with me.


Preparing for the mission trip to Mexico this time, came with a vociferous battle. Since our government cautioned US citizens not to go there due to the high level of violence between drug cartels and Federales, many colleges, churches and para-church mission trips were canceled.

I spoke with many who had withdrawn and were deeply disappointed. Understandably, we had some parents pull their children from our teams.

The last thing I wanted to do as a leader, was to march into a "hot" zone with a group of students and lead them to slaughter. I sought the Lord and the wise counsel of godly men.

The Lord gave me a Scripture passage that I was very familiar with, to quell my fears and calm me down. He did so, while I was teaching a discipleship series on "Hearing God's voice!"

I clung to this passage as I spoke with parents who were concerned. As a father who has lost his only son as a result of serving, I do not take lightly, the issue of parental surrender of their children. To be honest, at times I fear what could happen.

The Lord has demonstrated His power, over and over. He has all authority, and was clearly in charge on this trip.

We had absolutely no issues at the border crossings, both coming and going. In fact, I have had my teams searched thoroughly in the past, and this time, we breezed through. We also traveled all over the border town of Nuevo Laredo, which is in the news routinely as a violent place. One parent called me and said they had contacts in the government in Laredo who said, "Do not come!"

I have now been in Nuevo Laredo for missions on six occasions. I have been pulled out of my van at the bidding of the Mexican Army, as they aimed their tank guns and machine guns at us, while searching our van for drugs. I know how it feels to be a bit intimidated.

I had far more stress before this trip, than after arriving. Why? Because we have a natural tendency to fear. We especially fear what we cannot see or control.

As I began to prepare for this journey, I feared. When the Lord gave me His Word, my heart was filled with peace. When I sought wise counsel, my heart was filled with peace.

At what point to we stop fearing, in any circumstance?

On our final morning of ministry, I took 24 students into a women's prison. Here, if the families do not bring them food and toiletries, they have to go without. This is a hard place! I knew our students were a bit apprehensive, but simultaneously, excited.

While they were sharing the Gospel with the women, the asst warden of the prison, saw our method and was very moved by the drama. He asked us to also come into the men's side and share. We were thrilled at the open door! The students were even more apprehensive!

Though there are many guards with automatic weapons, any environment such as this could easily get out of control. There is something to be said about open doors and the peace of Christ, that help allay fear.

The students shared, and we saw 60 people between the men's side and the women's side, come to faith in Christ!

Perfect love truly does drive out fear!

When we walk where we are encouraged to walk by our Lord and Savior, the result will be that glory is brought to Him!


I will never have a cavalier attitude towards students, parents, or potential danger, but I will have faith in my God that no matter what the end result (for me), if He has called me, I must go!

Fear is a tool the enemy uses to strike at the heart of obedience in the lives of potential warriors. If we succumb to his schemes, we run his interference, and corrupt the will of our Father in Heaven.

Fear not!


dad

7 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you tomorrow AM! \0/

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you tomorrow AM! \0/

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris and Marla are faced with some of these same issues as they prepare for their Mexico trip with the teens.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Brent for such elegant words concerning the violence in our NEW country. We too, have had a group cancel their trip to come minister to us. However, God will still work in us as long as we are available.

Blessings, my brother,
Dan
Tuxpan, Mexico

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Brent, I came across something today that so reminded me of what I imagine BJ was like (if I'd gotten a chance to meet him before he was so sick). I thought you might want to watch this video as this young man was full of love for Christ.

www.claytonsstory.com

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see you on The Harvest Show. Here is a link. Brent comes on around the 14 minute mark.

http://www.harvest-tv.com/video/dsp_playshow.cfm?showid=404

God Bless

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview Brent. thanks for the link. \0/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home