Monday, March 30, 2009


one of many who would give their hearts to Christ on the streets of Nuevo Laredo

I appreciate the kind words of encouragement from many of you who saw the Harvest Show interview. It was a blessing to be able to participate in this and to spend time with family in Indiana.


While in Indiana, over the past four days, I had the privilege of meeting with a woman that I knew from my childhood. She was a paper route customer for either my brother or me. She had been a prayer warrior for BJ while he was in the hospital, and her daughter wrote on our wall frequently.

As she invited me into her home, she informed me she was 90 years old! She does not look 90, she looks much younger. She acts much younger. Her mind is sharp and her compassion focused.

She had heard about the interview, and had called my mother prior to it's airing to be sure she had the time right. She said she did not want to miss it. She was such an encouragement.

She said she has ordered one of our books in the past, and decided she must have forgotten to go pick it up. She had been so anxious to have it and to read it. My sister Lisa and I delivered a copy to her door.

Her home was warm and inviting. I did not have much time, but could not resist her invitation to come and sit down for a while. There is something about having the opportunity to connect with these dear saints of the Lord.

God has placed elders in our lives for a reason. In too many of our churches today, there is a loss of connection between the "elder generation" and the younger ones.
We often do not worship in the same services. Many are in a traditional setting while others go to the contemporary.

This dichotomy causes a loss of fellowship between the generations. It is far more difficult for the younger population to respect their elders if they never see or meet them. It is no easy task for the elders to pour into young lives that they don't encounter.

Theoretical fellowship, is no fellowship at all. I believe it is important for the young to learn from their elders. I realize that differences in worship styles has become extremely important.

I do not believe worship was ever intended to interfere with cross-generational connections. In fact, it should be a time we stand side by side to offer our all to our Savior.

The younger need the wisdom and experiential teachings of the elders. The elders need the significant task of pouring into those who have walked the earth for fewer days.

Without this connection, both groups suffer in ways the church body was never intended experience.

Who would have thought that worship would become the platform for selfishness that would erode the church body from the inside out?

I am extremely thankful for the men and women in my life who are wiser and carry more years than I. I have long looked up to them.

Growing up, I can remember a woman in the church who always worked with the newborns. When we arrived at church early, she would be there, memorizing scripture. I was a boy then, and this dear saint must have been in the winter of her experience.
It did not matter, she poured into me and others like me at each opportunity.

I can think of many, in my lifetime who have done likewise. Elders having fellowship with the youth culture is an important facet of training them up. We must make time and develop connection points between the two.

I will not forget the 20 or 30 minutes I spent with this dear lady. She expressed not only her appreciation for our time, but she validated my own experience with her words of encouragement and pride over seeing us walk with the Lord.

I do not like to think where I might be, had I not had godly examples, that were tangible and reflective of what it truly looks like to have an intimate walk with Him!

I praise God for my elders!


dad

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gret writing today. My mind went to who I think the 2 women you talked about are. I may be way off base on them but they were and are great women. I'm sure there are many adults today that can relate to the SS lady who was always there for children.
I'm glad you had some time with your family.
Is there still snow in Tulsa?
Love you
Aunt Maralyn

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that Brent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home