Thursday, October 29, 2009


a national treasure in Santiago de Chuco, Peru


In a month, Deanna has a landmark birthday. To be sure she does not forget that she is entering the autumn of her life, a national organization sent her a membership card. One she did not request.

With this card, she can get discounts at hotels, and on meals at restaurants, etc. She reminded me we would soon be taking our evening meal at 4:30 in the afternoon. Apparently, when this card arrives in the mail, it becomes obligatory.

The only problem with this is that I don't get off until 5:00. Perhaps I could begin my day a half hour earlier to accommodate this life change. I'm certain I'll be ready to eat then. We currently don't wait much past that. Just ask my children.

Not that long ago, I wrote of becoming a member of another fraternity. We did not seek to join this one either. Perhaps this first one coming along when it did, has positioned us for a smoother transition beyond the life season of summer.

In many respects, it often feels like winter, though it seems yesterday, we were walking among new floral representations of life.

That metaphor actually doesn't work well for me. I like winter. I miss the snow. The last two winters it has snowed while I have been sporting short sleeves on the other side of an ocean somewhere. It was all gone upon my return. I leave in December, so perhaps it is coming again.

Deanna was not happy to see her new membership card. They expected her to pay a fee.

Come to think of it, we had to pay a fee last time... at least this time we can decline. You know, postpone the inevitable. She tore it up and threw it away. I tried to find it so I could talk in more detail about it. We don't own a shredder, at least I didn't think we did. That card is unrecognizable! So is all of the accompanying paperwork. If she bores of teaching, she has another marketable skill.

She promises mine will be along soon. I'm quite sure that won't happen for at least another year or two. Yes, our birthdays are only two days apart, but I am convinced that staff at my work (where her card showed up?) will intercept this little inflammatory credential and discard it (at least I have given them instructions to). Besides, I'm leaving the country on my birthday, and being a recent development, surely this national "association" will not know how to find me.

This organization goes by an acronym. Don't ask my wife what it is. She adds unnecessary letters when speaking of it. Actually, I like her version better. IT makes me laugh.

I don't feel old... most of the time.

My eyes don't work right, neither does my metabolism. I am reminded of the verse in James 1 that talks about seeing yourself in the mirror and then forgetting what you look like when you walk away. Actually, that could be a virtue when you get to this stage. I like remembering what I looked like when I was... younger. I do it all of the time. It's how I see myself.

I apologize that the rest of you have to look at the current version of me. The one in my head is far more attractive!

Anyway, the organization that I AM a part of didn't cost me anything to join. However, it was terribly expensive. In that fraternity, I don't have to worry about the inconveniences mentioned above! I get to deny myself, daily. I get to serve the One I love, and oh how He loves me, so!

I don't need a membership card, the handbook is supernatural.

Even the mirror is pointless. All members who look into it see the same thing...

Christ alone!


dad

3 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you guys that God will heal your wounds.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings---This is cyndi in colorado. You have not heard from me in some time. I just found your site again. I wrote a piece for you in 2005. You encouraged me to keep writing. I have. I suggested our library system--outside of DENVER--get a copy of your book about BJ. They ordered three! Thought you'd lke to know that. I still talk about him to people here and the impact he had. God bless you and keep you strong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home