Thursday, April 28, 2011


Whitney, 19 weeks pregnant.


A great man of God died yesterday.

David Wilkerson died in an automobile accident yesterday, in east Texas. He was 79.

He was one of my heroes of the faith! You may or may not remember his book, "The Cross and the Switchblade." It chronicles his early years of ministry, where God used him mightily to reach out to a gang in NYC. Nicky Cruz was the gang leader.

David led him and many other gang members, to Christ. The story is compelling. Nicky Cruz is in ministry today in California. This book is well worth the read.

In recent years, David pastored Times Square Church (NYC). His messages can be found on youtube and elsewhere. He speaks with passion and power. The Lord's anointing was upon this man!

I loved to listen to him. He told it like it is. He laid it all down based on the authority of Scripture. There was no time for 'fru-fru, make people feel good' messages, when our country and the world are headed in the fast lane, to hell.

It is amazing to me that many of us today, prefer to be made comfortable when we listen to a sermon. Granted, we all like to be comfortable. Our society seems to be built on the concept. But when that comfort comes at the cost of eternal damnation for those we are too comfortable to reach out to, then the messages we listen to had better motivate us to action.

I know, I sound like a broken record. I get that. But like David, I cannot allow the perception of others to influence the message that doesn't seem to be getting through.

Much of the time, I am preaching to myself!

It is not enough to agree with an anointed message. We must take action!

Jesus said, "greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." (Jo 15:13-14)

The inactivity of the masses who pour out of churches weekly, seems to proclaim, 'greater love hath no man than this, that he would die for the remote in his hand.'

David routinely skipped the entertainment others frequent, to serve.

At a time when most "Christians" lives reflect the world, David's looked like Jesus'.

The Word of God proclaims that, "whoever claims to live in him, must walk as Jesus did." (1Jo 2:6)

I need to walk different.


brent

2 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Go Bold said...

thanks for sharing that!

I did actully hear "The Cross and the Switchblade." and I was wondering wether to read it or not.

I guess I will!

thanks for posting this blog post!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

jordan 12
hermes
nike air max
ultra boost
longchamp handbags
kyrie 6
curry 4
air max 270
off white x jordan 1
off white

 

Post a Comment

<< Home