Monday, April 04, 2011


Cheetos anyone? Bigger isn't always better (except in Mexico?)!


Who are the "Lord's elite?"

Last night, I was working my booth at the close of a missions conference when this subject was brought up.

I had the privilege of speaking twice over the last four or five days, to students, who were a vital part of this church wide event.

During these days, I've fellowshipped with 65 missionaries from around the world. I've had incredible conversations with them as well as staff, students and parents. God was doing a significant work in and among this body. I was honored to take part (We were even recognized for 'most countries ministered in').

The stories and testimonies I heard were God sized. I gained a pretty clear picture of how we are one body but different members, and each member vital.

As I worked my booth in the closing hour, a mother came to speak with me. She proceeded to tell me what she had told her daughter leading up to this event.

She told her daughter that she was going to meet the "Lord's Elite." In so doing, she needed to be respectful and learn as much as she could. And that maybe one day she could go and serve.

I immediately took issue with this statement, but understood her intent. I did not want to make her feel bad, so I tried to graciously receive her intended complement.

The dictionary defines "elite" as; "the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons."

Uhm, I need to be excused from that table of personnel! I don't belong.

When the disciples argued over who would sit at the right and left hands of the Father in Heaven, Jesus told them, (in Mk 10:43-45) "...instead whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be a slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Now, I understand that from the perspective of those who do not do ministry on a regular basis that we might be considered His elite.

My contention, however, is that the distance between those who serve and those who don't, is a gap measured by a yardstick of "surrender."

We, as believers, are ALL called. We are not all called to the same place at the same time. That means we certainly fill different functions and roles. There is room for each of us to serve. Thus, if the gap of surrender is closed, we are all His elite.

My role is not more important than your role. Each of our roles are significant. That doesn't mean that some stories won't be more dynamic than others, but that does not equate to 'more elite.'

Our culture is used to measuring size on a grand scale wrought with its worth or value being based on material wealth, power, fame, etc.

Many strive to be found here, but few if any of His elite will find themselves in bold face type on a list like this.

My concern is that if I consider myself worthy of such a title, I have just proved that I am not.

If servants are seeking to serve as Jesus did, the spotlight may come, but they never seek it. They are too busy trying to meet the needs of those who 'have not.'

The more surrendered you are, the more Christ-like you will be. Christ-like people serve. They don't seek the white hot heat and false bravado of a worldly spotlight.

The "Lord's Elite?"

Perhaps we'll see them seated to His right and left... in heaven.


dad

Please be in prayer for a revival I am preaching this weekend Apr 8-10?!

7 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger gilbert said...

You speak to my heart again today Brent - I want to be in that place of more surrender, more Christ-like, serving more - I'll be praying for you this weekend.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger brobrad said...

I've found myself struggling again with this concept, it is so hard not to compare ourselves with others. I've done a new inventory test of my "spiritual gifts" and can't say i was very surprised by the results. I am chagrined that i've done so little of late with the gifts He has given me. Thanks for the reminder

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The opposite side of the elite idea is where I find myself. I'm a broken man, broken by sin, divorce, destoyed ministry. Although I have accepted and "wallow" in the forgiveness of our Lord, I'm experiencing an absence of acceptance from those once called friends, and even family. In my mind I know God still has a place for me. In my heart still is a desire to serve. I appreciate your words, Brent. I love you and miss you.
Dan

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Elite" I am not. Forgiven and Loved, I am. My prayer is to close the gap of "surrender" in my life. To be in "constant surrender" to our Lord! Thank you for speaking Truth.

MB

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger jeje said...

pandora
pandora charms
off white jordan 1
christian louboutin shoes
canada goose jackets
pandora
ed hardy clothing
ray ban sunglasses
moncler online outlet
nike shoes

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018..8.14
adidas yeezy
pandora charms
football pas cher
adidas football soldes
クロムハーツ
ugg boots
hermes belts
off white jordan 1
tn pas cher
vibram fivefingers

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous velvet bed sheet wholesale said...

My concern is that if I consider myself worthy of such a title, I have just proved that I am not.
red and black salwar kameez designs ,
red black suit salwar ,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home