Sunday, August 28, 2005

BJ's numbers are about the same. The only new thing tonight is that there's been some increased bleeding around the tubes in BJ's body. The doctors have to make them clot slowly, so clots don't form in the machine. It's a complicated process.

Tonight I was reading the last entry BJ made in his online journal, and I wanted you all to see it. It's pretty lengthy, but definitely worth the 5-6 minutes it may take you to read. Prepare to be challenged.

"Ok, so I was reading "Don't Waste Your Life" (an excellent book, I suggest you read it) when I got to one part, and I thought "Man, I should post that on my xanga." So here I am.

Allright, so Piper is talking about the passage from Philippians 1:21 "To live is Christ and to die is gain," and he just finished expounding on how "living is Christ" and how to die for Christ, etc. Then he starts talking about how we can't separate living for Christ and dying for Christ. He sites 1Corinthians 15:31 and Luke 9:23 and then shows us the conclusion from these two (and countless other) passages:

"Daily Christian living is daily Christian dying..."

I was like, "woah, thats profound." Piper goes on:

"...The dying I have in mind is the dying of comfort and security and reputation and health and family and friends and wealth and homeland..."

How often do we live like our own lives are so important, like all of our comforts, friends and circumstances are the greatest things ever, and yet Christ clearly says "Whoever holds on to his life will lose it, but whoever gives up his life for me will gain it back." (Mark 8:35). And then again in John 12:25 He says that he who loves his life will lose it. Then Piper says:

"...These may be taken from us at any time in the path of Christ-exalting obedience..."

So we die to ourselves and lay down our lives daily so that we will be ready when our lives, our comfort, our family, wealth, or friends are taken from us in our walk with Christ.

"...To die daily the way Paul did, and to take up our cross daily the way Jesus commanded, is to embrace this life of loss for Christ's sake and count it gain."

You see, as Christians we are to give our lives up every day, to die to ourselves every day, to let go of all of our attatchments and affections and be willing to let go of life itself everyday because we treasure Christ higher than life.

So often we get preoccupied and distracted with all of the little details and life and all of our wants and dreams and desires, and yet as Paul says in Philippians "To live is Christ." All of the details don't matter, all of our wants and dreams are of no consequence because our lives, as Christians, are to be for Christ and Christ alone.

How often do we really live as Christ? How often do we lay our own dreams and wants down for God? At church camp? On mission trips? Maybe even every Sunday or Wednesday? But Christ says DAILY. Too often do we attempt the whole "Christian living" on Sundays and Wednesdays, and forget the whole "DAILY Christian dying" Christ calls us to die daily.

It's time that we as the professed Christians of America wake up from our sleep of lethargy and hypocrisy and stop only living for Christ on Sundays and Wednesdays and start acting as Christ says all of His disciples must act. (As Luke 14:27 says, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me CANNOT be my disciple") We must die to ourselves daily. We must forget our comfort zones, and our cliques of friends and go out and share the love and rescuing truth of Jesus Christ with the lost, empty, suffering, and dying people of the world all around us as Christ commanded!

Our lives are for Christ, not ourselves, so as it instructs in Hebrews 12:1-3, we need to actively, forcefully, and even violently (spiritually speaking) THROW off EVERYthing that hinders glorifying Christ through our lives! Don't want to because you enjoy your life? But Christ says "I have come to give them life and to give it to them abundantly," John 10:10. You see, because we were made to glorify God, it is the one thing that satisfies us most and that we can find the most enjoyment in. We spend our lives seeking satisfaction and enjoyment, but its only to be found in Christ. So what better reason to turn to Him and let go and throw off everything that holds you back?

Also, as the apostles are constantly reminding us in their letters, we have a hope and a certainty for the future that no one else has. We know that at the end of all things that Christ will gather us together and reveal His glory to the world on the day of judgement, and that instead of receiving the judgement and condemnation that we deserve, we will be able to take part in the GLORY of Christ.

So then, let us with His glory and our hope in mind, throw down our own lives and pick up His--that is, pick up our cross, take our life of suffering for Him and His glory. Let us die daily for Christ so that we can follow Him and better obey His call: that we reach the dying people of this world and tell them of Jesus Christ, the saving one.

Whew. So thats what God is teaching me."


My little brother is amazing. He is laying down his life right now. He is eager to suffer for his Father's glory. He GETS it. And I am challenged on a whole new level to understand that ALL is for God's glory.

-Lauren

33 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I Pastor a church in Youngstown, Oh and have been praying for B.J. We are so amazed at what an amazing young man he is and how God uses him. The touch that he has on his life at such a young age is so evident. We continue to pray for his healing, wisdom and direction for the doctors, strength and encouragement for the family and God's glory in all things. God Bless you all...you are covered in prayer.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that my wife and I have been in prayer for BJ since we were informed of his condition by Beth Renfroe. His comments here were very touching. I will also bring up his name for prayer at our weekly Promise Keepers meetings on Monday night. God Bless BJ and his family.

Greg & Deborah Beckwith
Winston Salem, NC

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to BJ and his family. Though you all are going through such a difficult time, your faith and perseverance are shining through these posts. Even though I don't know BJ, I know he is definitely a young man after God's own heart. The post today has touched and encouraged me.
Still praying,
Tammy
(friend of the Renfroes)

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To BJ's family, I read about BJ on the Asbury Seminary web site. What a Christian family you are! I hope that more people will follow in GOD'S footsteps and decide to walk the walk and talk the talk because of BJ's inspiration on all of us and his love of GOD.Please know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers.Glory be to God!!!
Debbie Collins
Nicholasville,Ky.

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord,
I just ask you to be with BJ and his family this day. Father, heal BJ's body, give his family and friends comfort in knowing that we are all here for BJ and for each other. Father, thank you so much for the outpouring of love that has been displayed for BJ and his family. I pray that this outpouring will continue through his healing and recovery. Father we beg you to unite your body in and through prayer, we beg you for BJ’s life and wellbeing. Father I am amazed at how well your body can put aside differences when a life is on the line, and disappointed how we can let our differences divide us on things that don't matter. Lord, BJ wants your body to be united for you, not divided for ourselves. If his suffering brings the body closer together, I know that he would rejoice for that. Father we rejoice that we are closer, but we mourn for our loved one. Daddy, return BJ to health, heal his body. Quickly or slowly, we will rejoice and praise you for his healing. Obviously we would prefer quickly, but BJ is yours to do with as you please. Father, be pleased to heal him and allow him to continue in your service. We beg this of you in the name of your son, Jesus Christ.

Col. 1:28-29, 4:2-4


J.E.M.
<><

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BJ, hope to play the guitar with you soon.
- Jordan Duke, from FBC

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you and praying for you always. Hope you get well soon BJ.
- 5th and 6th grade Sunday School class at FBC

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing that from BJ's journal!! He really does "get it"!! Even now, God is able to use BJ's words to encourage and exhort others to a closer walk with Him. Your whole family continues to be in our prayers. I look forward to how God is going to use this and has already used BJ to honor and glorify Him.
Always in His Care,
Lisa - Kansas City

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

BJ and fam,
Thought I would let you all know that my FCA group at school is praying for you guys!

Ashley Dawn (peru 2004)

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay Strong Brother. I read that when it first was on his xanga and it is just such an amazing passage. Anyway stay strong everyone. Praying for you all.

Your Brother In Christ
Jonathan Haag

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wow!", is all that I can say! B.J., in a time were I should be ministering to and encouraging you and your family, you are ministering to and encouraging me. I praise the Lord for the close walk you share with HIM and how he is using this "trial"(James 1:2-4) to bring Himself glory! There is no one higher than God! He deserves all glory and honor in all areas of our lives!
For His Renown,
Katie

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Hi! I am writing to you from Latvia again. I and my family are continuing to pray for you and your brother. It amazes me that I have the privelege to pray for you all. I got an e mail from one of my favorite musicians, Bart, someone I have only seen in concert. Now I feel as if I have a new friend in you, Lauren. I appreciate your willingness to allow us to go on this journey with you and see how our Lord is working in your life, your family's lives and of course BJ's life. God is good and is faithful. He hears our prayers.

I will continue to pray.

In His loving name,

Christina

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, I stand in awe of the way God is using BJ, even in his condition. Your attitudes and testimony are truely an inspiration to us all. May God continue to use this for His glory.

KPO

Elsie Jay

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello. My name is Ricky and I have just returned from spending the summer in peru as well. We ended up seeing Global Passage's group perform a little bit on our last day in country, as they were doing their drama at a site that we were hoping to do ours. But praise the Lord that they were already there! I am passing this site along to all of my friends who went to Peru with me. I pray that God will continue to have His hand in BJ's life as well as all of yours through him.
In His love,
-Ricky Blalock
Fresno, CA

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at a leadership retreat this past weekend and we had the privledge to watch a video of a sermon that John Piper did about not wasting your life. It was amazing, he's so passionate! It's amazing how god works through the people that are in the spotlight.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BJ you don't know me but I am a student of Kent Kotesky that goes to his church. I am sorry that you are sick. I hope that you will get better soon! I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless! Kayla Boyd

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, Deanna, Lauren, Whitney,and BJ,
We are praying for you in our small groups, as a family, and individually throughout the day. Let us know if we can do for you.
Love,
Mike, Lisa, Erica, Krissy & Joe

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. bj really does get it and i admire him so much for everything he does. i'm praying constantly and my friends are praying to.

God bless,
alison

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heeey! that was soo sad! and im praying for him adn i hope he gets better! and im telling everyoen i kno to pray for him!
xo nicole <3

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi My name is Laura and I live in Maryland. I will be praying for BJ and will pass along this website to more prayer warriors. God is good! He will never leave us or forsake us! Trust always in Jesus!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had the pleasure of meeting BJ's family in Danville, KY this weekend and were both deeply moved. For a family to display such amazing faith in the face of adversities is an inspiration to the both of us. All of you are in our prayers, as are the doctors and nurses attending to BJ. May God bless all of you with His love.

Sam and Traci Williams

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could all learn something from BJ's heart and passion to fully live out scripture no matter what! Thank you for sharing, it makes me remember how God used him to impact my life this summer.

Erin

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have truly been blessed by what I have read hear these last few days and hope that the blessings will continue to flow across this country and elsewhere and pray earnestly for the Lords continued blessing of BJ. I met some of you a few years back on a trip to see the Hearn's. Rachel told me about BJ, and I have lifted him up, and have asked many others to do the same. Keep the Faith, I have no doubt you will.
"Bewhere in your prayers, above everything else, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what He can do. Expect unexpected things 'above all that we ask or think'"(Eph. 3:20)
-Andrew Murray

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I love that entry too. I was very challenged by it when he first wrote it and am challened by it again. It's such a paradigm shift to start thinking about everything from the perspective of God's glory, but it's totally worth all the effort it takes. It was really nice to have the jump start of an Awe Star mission trip to get me started thinking that way. Thanks, Lauren, for being a practical example of that kind of thinking in everything you write. Thanks Higgins family for being lights for God no matter what situation He puts you in.

Beej, I'm still praying, dude. Stay strong in Him. I know you will. ;) You're an awesome man of God and I appreciate all that you have put into my life. Thanks for committing to live your life for the glory of Christ, our Saviour. I'll ttyl.

Love to all the Higgins family,
Kayla Terrall

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I am an old friend of Kent Kotesky from Wilmore Kentucky who's daugther Shelby is at the hospital your brother is at.
I am also a Christian and when a friend asks to pray for another that is a responsability as brothers and sisters in Christ and therefore that is how I come to hear and visit your website.
Lauren, the word of God is powerful...and God is our physician and His hand can reach where no man can...He is the God of the impossibles...I will pray for BJ's complete restoration. The lord is mighty. Please know that BJ, you and your family will be in our prayers and are in many others prayers through the internet. Praise the Lord forever. Blessings.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Coop said...

I just wanted to let you know of our small groups continued prayer support for all who are involved in His situation. I have many people praying for your family at CP Morgan. This is all a sweet savour to our King.

Terry Cooper

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying in Lincoln NE....what journal entry! What a challenge to me. Just to let you know I, too, have walked in similar shoes. My sis was in a coma with an unknown infection in the spring of 2001. Admitted to a Springfield MO hospital, she soon was life flighted to the Omaha Med Center. I can't remember how many doctors we consulted with...I only remember I had to stay focus on Jesus...we kept Christian music playing continually in her room. My prayers are with you all ~ please take care of one another.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to let everyone know that I am praying for BJ, I know that in my heart, if he has enough belief and trust in the lord that he will come through this one way or another. I also know that if the lord takes him home, that he will watch over us all. Everyone on earth is here to serve a purpose. Please tell BJ to remain strong, and to fight the good fight.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BJ's love for the Lord is so amazing and so evident in his journal entry. I am comforted by the amazing attitude you all seem to have regarding this entire difficult situation. It is wonderful to see the body of Christ, from all over the world, unite in prayer for BJ and your family. It brings hope and peace to a conflicted world. God continue to bless BJ and his family, give them strength that only you can provide, comfort that can only be found in your Word, and peace that can only be found in the hope of your son, Jesus Christ. Amen

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is so great that you are posting to keep people notified about your son and brother. Keep the faith and remember that BJ is in God's hands. I found out about BJ through Brenda May from Denison,TX because I am one of her students at Texoma Christian School. BJ will be in my prayers! God bless you all!

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger greetings from down under. I was searching for the latest information on prayer , I can see how I landed on your page. While this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for. (I was after prayer related stuff) I ejoyed reading your blog, I'll come back agin to read future posts. Take Care.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Pray for BJ interesting post. I was looking for Info on christian and I came across your site and while this post wasn't an exact match i was most interested to read what you had to say. I was looking for christian infomation, I glad I came across your site I'll visit again sometime.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pray for BJ, I was out surfing on the net looking for the lastest info on pray. Ok this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it got my attention and interest , now I see why I found your page when I was looking for pray anyway I'm glad I stopped by you have a great blog. Thanks for the read ...catch you later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home