Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The other day, Deanna and I were on our way to... somewhere, when she asked if we could stop and get some glue dots at Michael's (for scrapping). She said, "it won't take long." In the mean time, we heard from Whitney, who decided to join us there.

I'm sure that Michael's is a wonderful craft store... It carries the name of the Archangel... and... many people shop there. However, did you know that glue dots cost $66.18 (after required impulse extras)? Did you know it takes an hour or more to find and purchase these sticky little "i" toppers? Did you know that when men enter that store, they pass through an "eye-glazer?"

The men in that store, though few and far between, looked lost...wandering aimlessly, in hopes of finding their wives... or some item which would suddenly, and magically transport them out. I'm sure there are men who enjoy a visit there, but the men I saw were not among them. Apparently, these had been duped as I had, by a promised quick stop... which turned into an expesnsive, spree of endurance.

So many of the products in the store are made to look like they came from outdoors, yet they emanate a fragrance I believe a plastic factory would belch. It's hard to breathe. It hurts to breathe.

They sell candles that if burned, would help eliminate such offenses. Isn't it funny how these tapirs can transport us to memories of places we've been or would like to return to? We often purchase them to allow us those same opportunities within our homes. Some of our homes... well, they need them.

Have you ever noticed how different homes carry different aromas? I could stand blindfolded in a room where these were captured and bottled, and identify whose homes were represented. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes... not so much.

The camp owned home we live in is one such example. The back of the home used to be a garage. Somehow, Beej's room carries with it a unique, pungent fragrance. One that you wouldn't say smells good, but isn't overly offensive either.

In his absence, it is amazing how when I catch a whiff of that, I instantly think of him. I never did a few months ago, but now it's a routine reminder. Open the door to his bedroom, and you smell... BJ. Well, not really, it is a poor representation of vivid memories.

I've said it before, probably multiple times, but we need not to be poor representations of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Each of our "smells" will be different, but all should reflect who He is! These aromas should be sweet and current... not memories of days gone by... of times that we walked closer to Him. They should be and are, whether we like it or not, reflections of where we are with Him, right now.

Have a blessed day,

dad

12 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The LORD SMELLED the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.
-Genesis 8:21
Just thought it was a cool verse to go with smells. Still praying for you and your family.
-Marissa

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

Isn't it amazing how much those glue dots can cost? Michael's is one of my favorite places,and Scott's least favorite. It's a guy thing. I am glad to hear that Deanna is still scrapping. Keeping you in our prayers this week, just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you all.
Love, Nancy

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Family
I wish I could ease your pain.
I will pray for your strength and growing peace in your hearts.
I hope you always have the "BJ scent" with you. May your memories remain strong but less painful as time goes, if that is possible.
With love and huggs, I send prayers with you Family. Always.
Your Sister
in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
It's nice to know that there are others out there that realize the evil that lurks within stores such as Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics and such. As you pull into the parking lot, you can feel the life get sucked right out of you like a vacuum sucking the dirt from the carpet. Draining every ounce of life you had within you, out into no mans land. The odor in those stores is horrible, in fact. Amazing isn't it?
It's hard to believe that any good could come from a place such as this. That God, himself, could have anything to do with a place like these.
Those smells are something we take for granted. I once longed for the smell of Indiana Rain, when I found myself employed by a company that entailed extensive travel. Upon returning home,I would find myself walking through a field behind our home...in the rain, just to get my "fix."
I am sure God does this to trigger our memory bank.
Continuing to Pray in Pink
Your Friend
Matt
P.S. Take a trip to Gander Mountain (that is God's Store, by the way), It will re-energize you! HAHAHA

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweet smell of home. The smell of the ocean. The smell of mountain air. Refreshing. Rejuvenating. The smell of the dog after a day (like today) coming in from the outside. The smell of chicken left in the fridge a week or so too long.

It is amazing that the sense of smell could hold memories, but that sense truly does. Jergens lotion will always remind me of my grandma, God rest her soul. Thanksgiving dinner smell will always remind me of my Uncle Jake, God rest his soul. And it goes on. Thank God.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song reminds me of you.. I remember one WNT a few years ago, and I can vividly remember how you worshiped. It doesn't have much to do with what you posted about, but it sparked me to remember.

You have always been so faithful
To bring the joy into my life
I want to feel You near the way it used to be
So I kneel in worship at Your feet
And I declare
That I will worship You
With all of my life
Forever praising Your name
With all of my strength
And when the troubles come
I will lift Your name high
Proclaiming Your love unending
With all of my life..

Thank you for that post. It's the encouragement that we need to keep moving forward as constantly and consistently as we can. I love how John 3:34 promises us that God doesn't limit the pouring out of His Spirit, and that is motivation for me to dive as deep as I can.

I like how this relates to your post two days ago, and yesterday. If we don't move forward and strengthen our faith as we should, we will become weary fighters, if, we are still even able to fight. I don't think any soldier would just sit down in the middle of a battle field, or draw back because of fear. It happens, but it is unnecessary.
2 Timothy 2:4 - No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs - he wants to please his Commanding Officer.
Thank you, dad, for reminding me of this. I'm praying for you, and will only be able to comment every other day, at least for a while. Love you guys, hope to see you soon.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

Pappy, I'm not a huge fan of Michaels either, or any other craft store. Well, correction. I'm not a fan of going with people (like my sister) who wander the aisles without point just to see what's there. I'm more of a go with a list and get out when it comes to Joanne's or Michael's. But I loved the connection you made between Michael's and our responsibility as believers to represent Christ with our individuality. Thank you for your reminder and your encouragement. Love *kim

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Brent you made me laugh, I'm sure kevin will agree with everything you said. I take/drag him with me into ALL the quilting stores and he suffers the same problem, comes out with his wallet a whole lot lighter.
Thank you for the reminder of what our aroma should be, where and who it points to.

In His Love
Linda
Shawnee,OK

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad! it has been so long! my deepest apologies! How are you doing? as i read through the entries i've missed.. it is good to hear you laugh, to hear the humor in your voice!
I so wish that i was making the trek to good ole Indy this weekend, but alas i cannot. I was originally planning on it.. but there were some developments. I've been having fainting spells these past couple of weeks.. accompanied by this intense pain in my stomach. The doctors did blood work ,and an EKG..and still nothing. i have and ECO in a week.. that is why i cant come this weekend.. my mom doesn't feel comfortable w/me being away from home, b/c the fainting comes as it pleases... i so wish i was coming tho! to sit and talk w/you all at your home and share your lives w/you.. but one of these days it will happen. it has just become one of my new life goals... to come and see you all in Indy.
So pray for those things if you would.. just that the doctors would find the problem and that a treatable solution would be available!

I hope your plans for this summer are going well. You are still planning on N. Africa, correct?! i hope so. that trip is going to be amazing.. already the Lord has flung open the doors.. i cant wait to hear about what he's done after you return!

I am unsure about my plans for the summer.. i think i mentioned to you and i was either probably going to Chile.. or a 10 day w/my church b/c my youth pastor has given me some leadership opportunities..
however, as of late some other opportunities have been presenting itself.. so i have no clue! the Lord is leading me.. and that is all i know.

Again... my sincerest apologies for my delayed absence! i hope your holidays were wonderful.. i'm sure it was great to spend some extra time w/your girls!

love you both
~kristin

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to keep my "smell" pleasing to God. Sometimes I feel I haven't bathed in a while and I need to be reminded to shower myself in HIM.
Praying for you,
Sarah; Norman, OK

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,
I have been in these craft stores and I have been put through the eye-glazer many times.
But it is amazing that God chooses to use us to be the fragrance of Christ. What a beautiful aroma. Better yet, what a Beautiful Savior.

Take care, Dad.
-philip.
big cabin, ok

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Thank you for that reminder. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home