Friday, February 17, 2006

People love recognition. It is encouraging to get noticed or to hold an "important" position. We long to feel like "somebody."

Brent and I enjoy watching the Olympics. Many heartwarming stories of determination and perseverance, plus it is amazing to watch the excellence, precision not to mention speeds they go!

Last night was our staff appreciation dinner with years of service, Teacher of the Year and "Someone Special" awards being given out with words of kindness and affirmation. Another cool program Zionsville has every year is "Everybody Counts" which recognizes each of us with our own limitations, yet we all have a voice, everyone matters.

I'm so grateful to be a Christian. It sounds so simple, but it's no small thing: To be unconditionally loved by the Creator of the Universe, no matter if you're important or not. No matter if you "win" at life or not. Not a small thing. It is one of those awesome mysteries and I wonder why more people don't grasp the concept and pursue Him.

Consider: the way people go crazy at sporting events; the way atheletes are rewarded; the way celebrities are put on pedestals and practically worshipped.

I remember when BJ was invited to a baseball game with our neighbors - their daughter was one of BJ's best friends. They loved to talk - imagine that. BJ talked throughout the entire game. His favorite subject: the things of God. His talk was not mindless chatter. Had we known his time was short would we have listened more intently?

Do we listen when the Word speaks? Psalm 111 reminds us that the "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

We fear the wrong things. We're deceived and confused. We've lost sight of the basic fear of the Lord. His power and might surpass any hulk or superhero we've ever imagined.

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction: the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life."
Galatians 6:7-8

mom

8 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate what you have to say today. Fear of the Lord is not a bad thing at all.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN, Deanna! The WORD HAS SPOKEN - He has spoken through you!

I pray you'll remember that also, when you look back on time and sometimes find it a struggle to remember BJ's voice ... how often do we try that intently to listen to the Lords? It is a challenge I face daily when missing my Gramma until I realize the things of God around me - His invisible attributes are CLEARLY seen!

Love ya~

Laurel

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Deanna
I couldn't sleep and I want you to know you are in my prayers.
Holy is the Lord
God Almighty, the earth is filled with his Glory. Holy Holy Holy
Holy is the Lord.
Bless you Deanna. Thank you for sharing.
I pray your growing strength every day and peace within your heart.
In Jesus name, I pray.
With much love and a huge hug to you
Your friend and sister in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, im new to this site, i heard it all on wednesday night when Barbara Ann spoke. By the way it was amazing. i really agree with the stuff you said. you seem to really know God.
thx

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pray for BJ greetings from down under. I was searching for the latest information on prayer , I can see how I landed on your page. While this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for. (I was after prayer related stuff) I ejoyed reading your blog, I'll come back agin to read future posts. Take Care.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless You Family
Indpls., IN
NSBC

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mom--

I'm calling them "BJ Moments" now.. and i had one today. Its just when the grief hits me.. and i just dont know what i'm gonna do.. cuz i'm not a cryer.. but it hit me today. I was in a meeting for my Peru trip this summer w/my church and someone was talking about immunizations (sp?) and what you should get for whats going on in Peru and i lost it.. for several reasons. Mainly b/c even if BJ had an shot for his disease, the Lord might still have taken him home..and also b/c it bothers me that those parents are worried about it. So there.. in my meeting.. i had a "BJ Moment".

praying for you always.. missing him ALOT today. Love you guys

~kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home