Wednesday, February 22, 2006

There is something about boxes and young children that make for humorous curiosity. Most parents have been through the gift giving time when their child was far more interested in the box than what was in it. Boxes are intriguing. They come in so many shapes and sizes. Some carry precious cargo and others carry, well... junk.

Most women respond wonderfully to very small boxes. They usually carry very expensive gifts. Deanna received a small box from BJ a couple of Christmas's ago... she still wears its contents on her finger.

Most guys like large boxes. The idea of getting something huge matches most of our egos. For his 15th birthday, BJ got an enormous box which contained a stereo. However, it was the small package that brought him the most joy. The sword he wanted but did not think he would get, meant a great deal to him.

I seem to be stuck in my very early youth, as I enjoy boxes... sometimes more than what is in them. There are a few exceptions.

I have collected many boxes through the years. Many are antiques, a few are not. My most recent acquisition is made of rosewood. It has curved lines, and a beautiful finish.

I have a dome top trunk which stores knick-knacks and lap quilts. An old blanket chest which contains it's namesake. A tool box off of an ancient tractor which keeps candles. A large tin document box (which belonged to my grandmother) that hides videos. A very large metal box which literally served as a car trunk on an early model automobile. It treasures a bounty of favored quilts. A cedar box which holds a beautiful white KJV Bible given by Deanna's parent's church upon BJ's passing. An old sewing or jewelry box constructed with square nails, that has a tapered spindle on top which is perfect for hosting rings. Stowed in it are old matchbooks.

I kind of like boxes. I have several more than this. I like the way they look, and how functional they are. I like that you can hide things in them.

We are so often like these. We look to have it all together on the outside, but hide away what's inside. It could be ugliness, emptiness, despair or even beauty or things of tremendous worth. But when we are unwilling to share the contents, we turn bitter and distant. Boxes were made to be opened, the contents shared. So were we.

My newest box is made of rosewood. It's my favorite. What it holds is most precious. The engraving on top reads "Our Precious BJ" October 1, 1989 - September 26, 2005.

dad

13 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you...
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your daily writings, whether you know it or not, are devotions to many. Thank you for reminding us of the simplicity, yet the depth, of our Father's love for us, and your love for Him! You are greatly loved.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you all have given so much in the last year and my family has watched in awe as you continue to praise God each day for the time you had with BJ. Your glory to God is contagious and beautiful. The reason I write is a sad one. Another dear family that we know and love has just lost their 14 year old son to a terrible infection 14 hours after they went to the hospital. They are a good Christian family that loves the Lord dearly. Could you please pray for them and hold them close to you heart for only a person with your experience can know the confusion, anger and hurt that they feel right now. Thank you for not only being a beautiful testimony but a light of God to shine in this dark world.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent and deanna , we need some prayers now. we pray for you all the time and miss you so much... could you give us your contact numbers. we do not know how to reach you. Marlene and Bill love to all.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us it means more than you'll know and it's touched our lives forever.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,my name is Emily and I am a 17 yr. old Senior in high school in Wyoming...Today was the first time I have visited this site, although I had heard of BJ's story from a friend, and was asked to pray for him earlier in the summer...

This blog about "boxes" reminds me of one of my favorite children's songs that I always used to sing at Vacation Bible School, or with my parents as a little girl... maybe you've heard it:
"If I had a little bitty box to put my Jesus in...I'd take Him out and *kiss kiss kiss* and share Him with a friend. And if I had another little box to put the Devil in, I'd take him out and SMASH HIS FACE... and put him back again" We are so blessed that there are people like BJ in the world who are, once they have Jesus in their hearts forever are willing to open it up and share Him with others...Praise God for those who aren't willing to be satisfied with Jesus as their own personal Lord and Savior, when they can be a light shining on a hill sharing Him with all they come in contact with, helping to make Him the personal Lord and Savior of many... God bless your family, and you will be in my prayers!

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you...

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the message that you wrote to us today. Thank you for continuing to bless my life with your stories.

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May you find peace today! Thank you for allowing Christ to shine through you.

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah! Praying for you!

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be discouraged my dear friends. God is doing a mighty work through you. This bright shining light can not be hidden in a box. Thanks for keeping it shining brightly.

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey parents--

Thats just about enough to make me cry.. but i must not be in a crying mood today.

I heard the N. Africa trip is full.. thats really excited. i'm so excited for you guys about that trip.. DJ is going.. i think you knew that.. its gonna be a GREAT trip! i'm praying for it.. and you guys.

anyway.. i love you all! praying always

~kristin

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins family....praise God for you. May you continue to be filled with His Spirit and continue to encourage your brothers and sisters (that's us!) in Christ through the sharing of your genuine hearts! Because I stumbled onto your family, I am able to stay encouraged to actually lead by example to be the kind of person I want my soon-to-be-born son to grow up as. I hope he turns out as awesome as BJ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home