Thursday, May 04, 2006

Silky shocks of swirling cotton waves, rest gently upon her head. In vivid contrast, ruby red flowers lie just below this line of snowy white, at the base of each ear. Translucent, time warn flesh, tautly fits her lean frame, and her smart outfit beckons like a beautifully prepared gift. And those eyes, oh my goodness!

This was my date last night. She was the "young" lady I had dinner with. The one who recently told me that if she were 20 years younger, she would pursue my brother. Better known to many as Grandma Lucile. At 97, she still drives. She volunteers at the local hospital. She descends 14 flights of stairs at each opportunity, to deliver mail to anxious recipients. Her heart beat is for missions, and she makes sure that those who need to go, go. The Lord has blessed her with long life, and an enormous heart!

Back in the early 90's she and Walker Moore began a journey together... they call it Awe Star. She is the matriarch of this ministry. She is part of the foundation, a cornerstone of the infrastructure, and an immense driving force for such a small individual.

In June, during training time for the missionaries, it's Lucile who rounds the students up to see who needs what, or more accurately stated, who forgot what. In 2004, it was Lucille who approached BJ and asked if there was anything he needed. Sheepishly, he asked if she could pick him up a toothbrush, and he offered to pay her for it. She laughed at his innocence, and perhaps his foolishness. After all, a toothbrush?

She met that need for him, as she has met similar needs of countless others. I have often asked the Lord not to let me live until I was that age. I do not want to be a burden to my children. But I have never met or known anyone like Lucile. She's outlived her husband by many years, had hip surgery on two occasions (I believe), and had many heartaches in her life. There is not a bitter bone in her frame. What an awesome example of a Christian. If I could be like that, I would not mind living for a century.

She knows BJ's story well, but was unaware that "I Would Die For You" had been released. I played it for her. As she listened, she coiled nearly to the fetal position. She let it play twice. Her comment? "Bart and the guys have gotten a lot better!"

She knows them. They stayed in her home when they were first starting. That was back in the 90's when they were still known as the "Awe Star Band." She is proud of them. She added that she believed that song would go a long way.

What age does to many is cruel. Long life is often rewarded with significant illness, injury, and much difficulty. Not for Lucile. I cannot tell you for sure why she is different. But I can tell you that she is filled with the love of Christ, and where others pass judgment, she sees potential. She has incredible eyes, and they search yours for truth and depth.

These bright blue eyes which adorn her face, betray a gentle, purposeful, and very youthful interior, that every believer strives for, in Christ!

Thank you, Lucile! You bless me!

brent

5 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh - Sweet Miss Lucile! She's a true firecracker for Christ I tell ya! I had the honor of meeting her when I visited the Gang at Awe Star and I tell you it would not have been a complete trip without meeting Miss Lucile and listening to her sweet stories and hearing her dreams about Missions! PRAISE THE LORD! I'll be 27 at the end of the month and I dread thinking about living in this world another 70 years, but I have FAITH that if I were to do so, I would PRAISE JESUS with every heart beat and see to it that the world continues to hear about His sacrifice!

Love you ALL~

Laurel, San Diego

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad-

i have met her. she's so sweet. she is a blessing to all!

I'm glad Tulsa is treating you well!

Love you..praying always

~kristin

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blessings on all

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so what I desire to be...a godly woman after God's own heart, deeper and deeper each day, month, & year!

Praise God for His gift of examples and faithfulness!

Thank you Brent for sharing about Lucille. It is amazing to me how God can use so many people in His family to teach and encourage other members of the body...without ever setting eyes on one another.

Keep up the race Lucille!

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Brent and family.
I dont post much on here, but I am a faithful reader (I am sure there are many of us). I just listened to my copy of "Die for you". It was beautiful. I can't wait to listen to it again, and the rest of the CD.

I just want to thank you for continuing to post on here on such an amazingly regular basis. It truly is an inpiration, and is doing more than you could ever imagine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home