Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Returning home from Texas, I enjoyed my drive. I passed through the Choctaw Nation. The music in my car that day was that of Native Americans. I enjoy this, but my children fear I have gone "new age" when they find it in the cd player. They do not connect it as I do. It does not have the same meaning for them.

Grassy sprawls chased up, out of the valley to forested rims above. The treelines traced camel back peaks down the horizon as far as my eye could see. Rigid rock formations jutted from the earth on high, magnified by the azure sky. I was taken back to my youth (no, not when the cowboys and Indians fought) where the delight of the days of the Indian were my dream.

My father had grown up near the Wisconsin Dells and we would return to that place where I would get to see Native American ceremonies. I dreamed of being clad in soft deerskin and dancing among them. I envied their children. They had such cool clothes to wear. Yet I knew nothing of their plight.

Magnificent, was the word that came to mind when I saw the Chief draped in eagles feathers, bear claws and painted with great care. How I wanted to be a brave that rode the hill country and lived life the simple ways I saw in him. Dreams of a child have no flaws.

I left the land of the Choctaw and entered the Creek Nation. I could see Indian scouts racing the plain beside. Pressing toward the bison that were sacred to them. It meant food and warmth and plenty.

These are pictures from my youth that mean a great deal to me. Every child has dreams of what they would like to be. My son dreamt of swordplay, and coming to the rescue of those in need. He would always arrive, just in time, and though he may give his life in the battle, he would set the captives free.

It did not matter, death in those days was but a moment or two. Then he'd return to the battle...he'd live on for another day.

Seeing life through the eyes of a child is something we lose along our way.

Landscapes hewn by the breath of God, and eroded by the leathery, wrinkled hands of time, wane in their importance. What was majestic has become the backdrop to progress. Valor and honor can be bought for the right price.

Recently, a young man sat across from me and told me that the Lord had asked him what he would do with his life if it was soon to be taken from him. He only hesitated for a moment at the precipice of martyrdom. He knew what he must do. What happened to him along the way was unimportant.

This is where honor and courage reside...in the hearts of the young. Somehow, the winds of days gone by have swept away our resolve.

I now reside somewhere between the Cherokee and Creek Nations. There flows no "Indian blood" through my veins, but waiting for the right moment rests the heart of a Lion...the Lion of Judah!


brent

1 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several days ago prayer requests were posted for Josh Buck, a young church planter from Grand Rapids, Michigan whose neck was broken in a diving accident while vacationing in Mexico. Since then Josh has been in the hospital in Miami, Florida. The family is praising the Lord that he surpassed the doctors' expectations concerning when he would be off oxygen as his lungs fought to recover from filling with seawater.

However, he is paralyzed from the neck down, although he has had some uncontrolled movements in his arms. He must rely on others to feed and care for him.

The doctors cleared him to fly on a Wings of Mercy flight to Michigan so that he can continue his healing closer to his family and friends. However, because of precautions stipulated by his doctors, Wings of Mercy backed out of the flight that was scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday, January 31). Friends and family have been working very hard to try to make other arrangements to transport Josh, but it is very expensive. As God leads you, I encourage you to continue to pray for God's healing touch on Josh's body and spirit and that all financial and logistical details will work out as God chooses concerning when and where Josh's treatment and rehabilitation should continue.

Pray also for strength and encouragement for his wife Shelly who is pregnant, and for their two young children back in Michigan (as well as the extended family members and friends).

In a tragic home accident, Josh and Shelly lost their 3-month-old baby girl Ava shortly before BJ went into the hospital in August of 2005. They have experienced and are experiencing the crucible of suffering like we cannot imagine. They have a long and unknown road stretching before them.

Please uphold these precious children of God in your prayers. Updates and a place to post thoughts to the family can be found at www.greenhouseministries.org.

Becky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home