Tuesday, January 22, 2008

BJ and Derek (cousins) kayaking in Texas.

This weekend will be a very special one in the lives of the Higgins' family. Beginning Wednesday, and lasting for nearly a week, we will be receiving family and friends into our home (and area hotels and churches). Saturday afternoon, we are celebrating 25 years of marriage combined with our Book Release party.

Deanna, Lauren and many friends are busy making preparations for the event. Preparing food, cleaning house, borrowing serving plates, sharing recipes, and trying to keep the lines of communication open so that we have an idea of how many will be here.

It is a come and go type of event, but many are coming from so far away that it will be mostly a come and stay for 3 hours, event.

A disaster relief team has been organized from Indiana, through a ministry called Leavener (see leavener.com). They are coming to help clean up the mounds of tree debris I spoke of yesterday. This is a skilled group of volunteers who have assembled on many other occasions. My family worked with them over Thanksgiving in 2005, down in the New Orleans area. Within this group are many of BJ's friends and mentors. They will take a break on Saturday afternoon to come and fellowship with us.

We also have family flying and driving in from around the country. Friends are doing likewise. To have people in your life who consider this a worthwhile expenditure of their money is pretty amazing. We pray their investment is a blessing in their lives.

Normally, I would say this a once in a lifetime event. But we have already been blessed by many of these people over and over again. Most of them were present together at Beej's Memorial Celebration. Many of them have visited with us on our return trips to Indy or their journeys here.

God has truly invested deeply into our hearts through the lives of these, His faithful servants. I can honestly tell you that we do not know how to thank them. We will try, but we must trust the Lord to bless their lives for their outpouring of love.

Many of you who are reading are planning to be here. We are excited to see you!

Our special weekend coincides with a special event at our church. We are having an Equipping Conference. Walker Moore is preaching at each of our morning services. We will be sharing a brief testimony about our book, and then we receive the honor of being prayed over. Then, in the afternoon, I will speak at one of the equipping breakout sessions.

What an incredible weekend is coming. What incredible blessing to be able to share it with so many family and friends! There are many who wanted to come, planned to come, but it is not going to work out for them. We are disappointed, but at the same time, thankful that they were interested in coming to begin with!

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

We have much to be thankful for. We are significantly blessed by our Father in Heaven. His provision for us in the wake of our grief is more than we deserve. We are most encouraged by the breadth of our Father's blessing!

dad


RITALEE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT BRENT.HIGGINS@AWESTAR.ORG. I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MISSIONS.

6 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

see you soon
Big John

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know how sad it makes me feel to know I can't be there to celebrate with you. I will be there in spirit.
Gregg changed me from dial up to DSL. In the process he found out why I couldn't write on this site. Hopefully this will go through.
Just remember how much you are loved by your California family.
I received my books Saturday aroun 3. I finished the bookk before I went to bed. It is a book well done and should really impact the people who read it.
Love to all'
Aunt Maralyn

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greeting Higgins...

Haven't been able to communicate for a bit, but the new external drive is humming right next to my screen now!!

I just got my book on Sat afternoon and finished it in the wee hours of Sunday/Monday morning. The kids & I just finished our most recent Precept study and are going to read "I'll Die for You" as our study over the next 20 days. I pray they hear the heart of a servant & the Word of God in a life.

We did our first day and I am afraid this mommy is going to have a sore lip from trying to gain & re-gain my composure.

ALL THE GLORY IS HIS!!!

I have said this before but I will shout it again (thus the capitals!)

A REVIVAL, WE PRAY, COULD OCCUR - A REVOLUTION (AS YOU ALL SAY!). ABSOLUTELY GOD INSPIRED LIFE AND BOOK... W E A R E I N !!!

We will go to our knees this weekend for the fellowship, time with the Lord, and encouragement that no doubt will be provided to all.

Know that we are there in His spirit.

You are deeply loved,
Tammy & Family

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Received my book last weekend when I arrived at work. I am so honored you thought of me. Spent much of my night reading the book and relishing in every thought. Thank you for opening your hearts and lives to us all.

Have a wonderful celebration this weekend! You deserve it.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger ritaleelovesyou said...

I finished reading I Would Die for You today. After I finished my classes I went into the library and just read it to the end, soaking up every word, highlighting all of the quotes and scripture that really touched my heart. This book has left an impression upon my heart. God has been putting a burden upon my heart for the lost all of my life and I know that I will be doing missions for the rest of my life. I don't know how I will be used in my future career but I know I will be reaching out to the children who live on the streets. This book has brought me to tears and has brought conviction to my heart. God is a faithful God and has been teaching me so much about myself and who I am to be in Him. He is breaking my heart for the lost and showing me what it is to be a true servant of the most high God. And I owe a lot of thanks to this book which has definitely spoken to my heart. I thank God for the blessing of this book but especially of the life BJ lived and the lives you and your family are living! I pray your weekend be full of love, joy and happiness as the events unfold. Thank you again for everything.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Pray for BJ said...

Ritalee,
Thank you you so much for your living with your heart and Spirit open to the Lord...to receive from Him! Your words are a blessing to us, and we would love to connect with you if possible. you can reach me at brent.higgins@awestar.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home