Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's time to be reminded. From behind those piercing, loving eyes, he wrote:


"You see, as Christians we are to give our lives up every day, to die to ourselves every day, to let go of all of our attatchments and affections and be willing to let go of life itself everyday because we treasure Christ higher than life.


So often we get preoccupied and distracted with all of the little details and life and all of our wants and dreams and desires, and yet as Paul says in Philippians "To live is Christ." All of the details don't matter, all of our wants and dreams are of no consequence because our lives, as Christians, are to be for Christ and Christ alone.


How often do we really live as Christ? How often do we lay our own dreams and wants down for God? At church camp? On mission trips? Maybe even every Sunday or Wednesday? But Christ says DAILY. Too often do we attempt the whole "Christian living" on Sundays and Wednesdays, and forget the whole "DAILY Christian dying" Christ calls us to die daily.


It's time that we as the professed Christians of America wake up from our sleep of lethargy and hypocrisy and stop only living for Christ on Sundays and Wednesdays and start acting as Christ says all of His disciples must act. (As Luke 14:27 says, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me CANNOT be my disciple") We must die to ourselves daily. We must forget our comfort zones, and our cliques of friends and go out and share the love and rescuing truth of Jesus Christ with the lost, empty, suffering, and dying people of the world all around us as Christ commanded!


Our lives are for Christ, not ourselves, so as it instructs in Hebrews 12:1-3, we need to actively, forcefully, and even violently (spiritually speaking) THROW off EVERYthing that hinders glorifying Christ through our lives! Don't want to because you enjoy your life? But Christ says "I have come to give them life and to give it to them abundantly," John 10:10. You see, because we were made to glorify God, it is the one thing that satisfies us most and that we can find the most enjoyment in. We spend our lives seeking satisfaction and enjoyment, but its only to be found in Christ. So what better reason to turn to Him and let go and throw off everything that holds you back?


Also, as the apostles are constantly reminding us in their letters, we have a hope and a certainty for the future that no one else has. We know that at the end of all things that Christ will gather us together and reveal His glory to the world on the day of judgement, and that instead of receiving the judgement and condemnation that we deserve, we will be able to take part in the GLORY of Christ.


So then, let us with His glory and our hope in mind, throw down our own lives and pick up His--that is, pick up our cross, take our life of suffering for Him and His glory. Let us die daily for Christ so that we can follow Him and better obey His call: that we reach the dying people of this world and tell them of Jesus Christ, the saving one." BJ Higgins


He says it well, and I love his heart,

dad


8 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

What a good message to post at the beginning of Lent, when we are called to look at how Christ has suffered and died for us, and how we might draw closer to him and experience suffering of our own.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in condemnation and guilt for 42 years of my life not knowing the Truth that Jesus had FREED me -- truly freed me by shedding his blood and releasing me from the captivity of sin. I am free in knowing that I am a holy and forgiven child of God. There is not one thing that I can do to make Him love me any less. As I mature in my journey seeking Him, I do know that I am convicted by the very Spirit that resides within me, and that being obedient to His call on my life can mean "dying" to myself and my wants and needs. I don't consider that suffering. I consider it an act of love for Him and His will for me. I suffered when I did not have the Spirit within me. Brent, you make a point to show the blessings that come from your obedience to His call on your life. I pray more Christians dwell on the beauty of being obedient and, as BJ so eloquently put it, "getting our feet dirty" to share Christ.

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,Deanna,Lauren&Whitney,
I finished your book (WOW) That was an awesome story. Although I always have that hospital stay (36days)and Jayden on my mind reading your book was hard at times because it made everything feel so fresh so real. My family and I had hoped when BJ and Jayden were better that maybe they we could stay in contact. It might sound silly but we thought it would be neat if BJ could be like a mentor, big brother to Jayden. Although we really didn't know BJ other than from you guy's talking about him. That is just something that we all felt. I wonder if BJ and Jayden have met now. I hope so. Love you guy's, Tammy (Jayden's grandma}

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger ritaleelovesyou said...

Reminders are always good. Sometimes hard to face, but always good. Thank you for sharing that passage from BJ. His heart is amazing. And inspiring. Once again, God is using his words to reach the hearts of others across the world, mine included. God is faithful. Thanks for sharing. Truly.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger igran524 said...

WOW!
I can't remember how I stumbled into your blog this morning but as I read it I was really moved; by the passion for Christ that your son BJ lived and how God used his life as a vessel, an instrument for His honor and glory.

Thank you for sharing your lives with the rest of us, thank you for challenging our own walk.

I pray that you would continue to find strength and comfort in the joy of the Lord.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Hopeful Pediatric Oncology Nurse said...

If I said I read that along in the book... do I get anything? Sorry, humor there.
Some of it was in the book. Not all.
Reminders of who was a part of you, part of your family, always show up at times. Sometimes it hurts to be reminded (like me... it's hurts... a lot), but sometimes it can do good, to remember that God was in control... the whole time.

I agree with the Dialy Christian dying. I try hard to remember, but with my brain, nothing works in the morning, and I can never remember to pray, let alone give myself up for God. I'm not that strong of a Christian, and I've changed since this last summer, but I still need guidance, more insight on the Bible, and knowing God, who is my only stronghold in this world.

Amen, to everything!

Praying always. May God still be with you in these hard times, no matter what this situation, and and God bless you.

In Christ,
Leslie

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

A glimpse behind the "writer" curtain: One of the most challenging aspects of helping the Higgins with I WOULD DIE FOR YOU was choosing which of BJ's amazing words to use/not use. To say that he was a prolific writer is an understatement. In writing, as in speaking, he rarely had a "short version."

Leslie: none of us gets it right all the time. BJ would have always wanted his story and message to point you increasingly to the One he served with such power and passion. If it has done that--we're grateful. Surround yourself with believers (both online and in person) who can guide you on your way. Stay in His Word. Seek His guidance in prayer. And enjoy Him in worship--forever!

praying in pink
with tender love,

Marti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home