Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Years ago, when I was in college (okay a lot of years ago), I was out running. When there is enough daylight, this is something I still do. I fear I am not as faithful as I need to be, but it is a great stress reliever and is good for me physically.


Anyway, on this particular day, I was running through my campus (Purdue University). I had just made a turn between a dorm and the Recreation building. Someone caught my eye and I could not stay focused.


I didn't know the person, but was for some reason, unable to keep my head in what I was doing. I was running on a sidewalk and it acted as a guide as I neared the edges, I could sense it and corrected my direction.


I really didn't think I had been looking the wrong direction for very long. Apparently, I really wasn't thinking.


I was a competitive distance runner before college and owned a number of records. Pride swelled in me in certain moments of my life. When my eye was capturing an image I did not want to release, I felt my body posture change as if I were a rooster, strutting about the barnyard for some plucky hens.


Suddenly, I was catapulted into the air heels over head! I was literally inverted from the force of the blow.


I landed with ego bent. I quickly peeked back in the direction which had caused me to perform this involuntary yet original, gymnastic move. Seemingly, I had gone unnoticed.


This was hard to believe. I had made quite a racket. I did not land on my feet. I'm not sure what all I scraped, but my body hurt. I was humiliated. Instantly, I was reminded of the scripture passage that taught me that 'pride precedes a fall.' I did fall...hard...and in more ways than one.


There was no question that I needed a reminder. The fluorescent orange and white striped construction barricade I had assaulted, stood undaunted.


Normally I have pretty good peripheral vision. My gaze at the wrong thing had been so intense that I missed out on obvious warning signs.


Without a doubt, this story is literal and metaphorical in its content and direction. I knew immediately that the Lord needed me look elsewhere for what my mind would feast upon.
There are so many things in our world that are attractive to us. They are not inherently evil. What we allow to happen in our heads and with our time is what causes lines to be transcended.


He is seeking us. So is the enemy.


We are too often on the run toward something we really should avoid.


It is said that "the eyes are the window to the soul." If that be the case, then let what is invited past this physical portal be edifying. When physical and mental pictures embrace, let them be engaged to His Spirit and draw us into His presence.


dad

7 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

See you in just three days, Pappy! I cannot wait.

Love, Kim

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like we are all so easily distracted too. I know I that way also. And sometimes wondering why I'm running headlong in one particular direction when I never intended to be going that way! This IU Hoosier is praying for you daily... still. lol
Mark \O/

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

I enjoyed your post! I don't know if you remember me, I (and my husband David) were in your office with Walker Moore in early December. I am Marci Wessel, daughter of Ken & Linda Bowie. I have been reading up on this Blog page about BJ. I even purchased two copies of the book. We have been SO Blessed by BJ and his story. His life is such an inspiration to us now that we have our son we just adopted from Guatemala last week. We pray that he will have a heart for the Lord as BJ did. He will be an inspiration for many generations to come! God Bless you and your ministry. My husband David actually graduated from Purdue University in '03. We were married after his Junior year so I was able to live on campus with his at the student apartments. It was such a BEAUTIFUL campus. I had never seen so many beautiful leaves change in the fall. Anyway, thank you so much for telling BJ's story. I am just sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet him myself. But from what my friends Tito Sevilla and Jimmy Inicio have said about him I can tell he was a true disciple of Christ.

God Bless,

Marci Wessel

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marci,

I just wanted to share with you what an honor it was to meet your parents in Peru this past December and get to share some time with them. They sure made life easier for this English (only) speaker!

Brad (Brent's brother)

Brent, the Holy Spirit continues to use you to speak right to me.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog you posted today. It is an encouragement as I have been trying so desperately to keep my eyes focused on the Lord and what He would have me do and sometimes it is just so difficult to stay focused. I e-mailed you. I am looking forward to hearing back from you! Take care!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Hopeful Pediatric Oncology Nurse said...

Amen, Brent!

We are so easily distracted and straying from the path. You've given me hope for tomorrow and to help me stay focused on the one who is God. Thank You.

Praying for you and yoru family daily. When I get up, randomly during the day, and at night when I go to bed. May God bless you and be with you.

In Christ,

Leslie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home