Friday, July 09, 2010


mounting a trail camera at the farm...


This past Sunday, I had the privilege of preaching in my home church. My pastor and his family were away, and he asked me to fill in. I was thankful for the opportunity.


The things that tie us to this world are so interesting and diverse. For some it is relationship(s). For others, it is work, hobbies, or the desire to achieve goals.

Then there are the times that we cannot wait until the Lord returns. Sometimes it's because of the difficulties of life. Others, its because our desperation for Him is so intense. Then there are those times we don't want to have to endure imminent suffering (in any form).

Being home from the field this summer has been interesting.

The Lord has opened opportunities to pour into others lives that could not have happened if Deanna and I were away. We are certainly thankful for that.

He always knows what He is doing.

This week I've discovered another reason I may be home.

I began having abdominal pain mid week. My self diagnosis aren't backed by any medical expertise, but its in my genes to do this.

My wife pleaded with me to go to the doctor. I finally went yesterday.

After his poking and prodding and giving me a small plastic cup to fill, he came in with what he believes is the correct diagnosis.

Kidney stone(s).

Yucky!!!

There is no history of this in my family (that I am aware of). I rarely drink soda. I can't understand why I would have this.

Issues like this don't care what you understand.

My doctor tried to prepare me for what is ahead. I walked out expecting give birth any day now.

I won't have the joy of holding a little bundle of life on the back side (no pun intended) of the delivery.

I don't know when it will come. I just know the pain comes and goes.

I have discovered for now, that the more hydrated I stay, the less pain I am in. I am afraid I am not getting much work done between refilling my water bottle and then the porcelain throne (in that order).

It has given me a temporary reprieve from the constant reminder that began a few days ago.

Last night as Deanna and I went to bed, we followed our normal routine. We turned the tv on to watch 'Seinfeld' before drifting off to sleep. The episode was the one where Kramer has a kidney stone.

Not very funny... to me, at least. Deanna found it hilarious. The timing impeccable. She doesn't mean me any harm, it's just that Kramer screams like a little girl, and all can hear him. I screamed like a little girl once... I was being chased by a vicious German Shepherd.

My doctor tried to convey a less threatening end. He has had them, and talked of being doubled over in pain, but then getting relief as the stone drops from the kidney to the bladder.

I don't like being educated on this topic. I once passed out watching a film of an egg migrating from the ovaries to wherever it goes. I can't remember 'cause I lost consciousness!

I awoke later in a cold sweat. I have that to look forward to once again, it would appear.

Anyway, I would be greatly satisfied if the Lord returned before this experience. But then, there are many women who favor the idea (on a much smaller scale) of a man giving birth to "feel their pain."

I cannot make a u-turn on the road to undo this. I can't prevent this from happening any more than Deanna could prevent giving birth to our 3 children. They brought such joy to our lives. This delivery will be a bit different.

All things considered, my suffering will pale in comparison to His. He remains in control.

I would appreciate it if you would pray for the upcoming delivery.

And if you listen, you just might hear me...


dad

6 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought someone next door stepped on a cat!! lol Sorry for your pain Brent! Yes, I try to avoid pain and when I'm in it, I'm constantly yelling at Him to get me out of pain. Yet I also understand, this is how we learn valuable spiritual lessons. There have been several seasons of high pain and anxiety in my life... I'm in one right now. But I know it is a season and in His time, the season will pass, a new one will begin and I'll look back in relief but knowing I gained valuable knowledge and experience having been there. I pray your season of dancing to and fro with the porcelain throne passes quickly!
Mark
\0/

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent we will be praying for you and the kidney stones. You should talk to Becky as she had this about a year ago. We love you and look forward to seeing you the end of August.
Aunt Maralyn

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lighter side of you...both in your post, and as soon as the stones are delivered. Praying for you!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent,
So very sorry you have kidney stones,we will be praying it resolves itself quickly and without the need for screams!

Do you have any sermons online that we could download or you could send? We love reading your blog..you have such a way of bringing it back to the central thing, and we'd love to get to hear you preach. Ever come to Houston??? You know you guys have a home with us. Kelsey and Kaleb have struggled with Christian's being uninterested in the passion they have when they return from the missoin field, and your words yesterday really nailed it. Lauren is doing a great job in Peru and I know you guys are so proud of the legacy she continues in BJ's honor. We love you and your passion for His glory! Lifting you in prayer.
Kevin and Kim Abbrat

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

So sorry....this too shall pass ;)
Love that episode by the way!
Praying for a safe and healthy and painless delivery.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent--I feel your pain! This too shall pass :) Praying for you!

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home