Wednesday, December 08, 2010


my lovely bride...


"Love is not just an emotion, as the world sees it. It is action. While admittedly it does have emotion involved with it, it is not as unstable or changeable as emotions are. Affections come and go, grow and fade, but love does not. It is a constant state of selflessness that produces action." BJ Higgins

So much wisdom is contained in these words. I have on occasion, used them, as I have married young couples. I think they are potent and filled with truth.

This time of year, could often be described as the 'season of selfishness.' Many have their 'wanters' working overtime. "Visions of sugarplums" are not likely the video scrolling through ones' mind.

What we want frequents our hearts in full 3-D explosion. We have identified it for those who request our "gift list," and have full expectation that it will be found under the tree. The cost doesn't really matter... we want what we want and hope others will sacrifice to meet our desire.

This is scenario tends to play out across our country.

I am blessed when I hear stories to the contrary.

Deanna and I were to lead a team to Mexico to do missions, the day after Christmas. As we were making preparations, I sent my contacts an email to verify our dates, and make sure one last time, that all was well, for us to come.

Friday night, I received a message from them that in short, requested we cancel our trip. The current level of violence between warring drug cartels is such that our presence would endanger anyone in our vicinity.

As much as they want us to be there, they felt the risk was not worth it this time.

I have been taking teams there for five years, and this ministry has for 18. Each year, the news of violence in this border town hits the news just prior to our scheduled trip. Until now, we have always gone, and ministered with the Lord pouring out His blessing upon the people.

When a trip like this has to be canceled, it is evident that the enemy has gained ground.

Yesterday was filled with phone calls and emails, letting all know that we could not go.

The reaction of many of our students blessed my heart.

Several of them that live within a reasonable distance from one another, have begun to make plans to do ministry right here in Tulsa.

They understand what "love" is. They know that reaching out should not cease because the enemy gains ground. There are people all around us, especially this time of the year, that are in deep need.

My wife called me after school the other day, from a shopping trip. She wasn't buying for our family, or friends. She was out buying for children in need!

While typing that last sentence, I received a phone call from one of the young men who was to be on our team. He is going down to the border town anyway, with a plan to preach the gospel anywhere he can. He is flying there from the New England area.

That is love! That is action!

When we view 'need' through the heart of our Savior, 'wants' seem to fade into obscurity.

When we 'love,' we impact the world for our Savior!


dad

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous jay sauser said...

Good thoughts Brent. Looking forward to tomorrow man.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Briann said...

Ok, only making ONE more comment. I would just like you to know, that your sons life story saved my relationship with God, and I went from a "lukewarm" Christian to ON FIRE!!! Thank you so much for writing that book!

~Briann

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, IN

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just read BJ's book.... and I cannot explain just how encouraging it was. It was like another fire to flame in my heart that made me more encouraged and humbled that we serve an awesome God. Thank you for your testimonies and reminders of God's grace. He is worthy of everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home