Monday, October 18, 2010


His Creation cries out for Him. Do we?


This past week, I was having lunch with a friend from work. We chose a quick serving, local, chicken oriented restaurant. I really like this place.

It's across the street from my church, so when Deanna and I leave on Sunday mornings, we have to walk past it. With stomachs already astir for something yummy, we don't always make it past.

We are drawn in by the wafting allure.

Anyway, we sat there sharing our hearts and a meal. We were being transparent before our Savior.

When I eat at this place, you get to choose two sides. I usually select two pieces of corn on the cob. Mainly, because they are small, and I am not a huge fan of the other choices (except the desserts!).

I do love corn on the cob. I am from Indiana... a major corn growing state. When corn is in season, there isn't much I like more. My mouth waters for it.

One thing this corn is, is juicy! Dry corn isn't too appealing (unless you are a varmint).

We sat conversing and I began to notice that I was assaulting my friend. He never said a word, but it kept happening!

While he talked, I would take bites of my corn. Each time I did, moisture from inside the kernels leaped from the cob onto his face.

I found myself apologizing and trying to shield his face with one hand while I ate with the other. It didn't help much.

Anyway, as corn juice (not a marketable or appetizing product) dripped down his face,
I began to wonder about something. Something I did not speak at the time.

When I spend time with others, do I get Jesus all over them?

Granted, in the context of my story, it would seem an assault worthy of charges, rather than ministry, but my point is still made (at least in my head).

When I am with others, do I spend ample time glorifying the One I love, or do I speak about myself and my desires?

It is never my intent to infect, or insult another through interaction. However, if my focus is me, then I will likely do so. If my focus is Christ, then the other seems not to care when the impact drips from their experience.

I need to be sure I am not spending my time trying to elevate my position or status in the eyes of another. I need to be busy about my Father's business.

His Creation clamours for it... even demands it!

It's okay if you don't want to eat corn with me...


dad

4 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger KK said...

I miss the days of eating corn and Charlie's with you. Love you. Thinking about you often...

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to brent and deanna !
i miss you al very much ... thanks deanna for the shirts .. they are awsome i think of bj ever time i where them .. today i was sitting in a class got up to go ask the teacher a qustion and one of the senior boys in my class read the back of my shirt and it was the vs . you had put on the back of the pray for bj t-shirts and i sat back down and the bell rang and i went on my way and i got on the bus and when got on he told me he got on his phone and looked up the vs and said it really touched him and he put the vs. as his screen saver . Let alone he was not a christen . i just thought that it was amazing to know that you dont have to talk to anyone to tell tthem about god a bible vs wil do the job ! =) .. i love you guy and miss you very much .. bj is very well missed =) love forever and always katelyn

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger gilbert said...

I'd come and eat corn with you Brent, because I'm sure that as the corn juice drips down my face and I try to wipe it off, we will also be getting splashed with Jesus as we have fellowship, and His fragrance will be permiating into us.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home