Thursday, June 02, 2011


Deanna and I spent this past Saturday helping our friends clean up the wreckage that is their home (from the tornado). The picture in my last entry just begins to show the reality of the devastation.

Their home and possessions are virtually a total loss. The power required for this level of destruction is incomprehensible!

As my friend Steve covered his fiancee (Pam) with his body he was praying aloud. As he prayed his house disintegrated around him. His account of the saga, proved early info I received, inaccurate.

He peered out a window, with no warning of the twister. What he saw probably still haunts him.

The lake he's fished for years was aswirl from ground to sky. He moved to another window and saw a debris cloud swirling around as his house began to creek and come apart. He grabbed Pam and they ran for the hall. He pushed her down and fell on top of her, using his slightly raised hand and arm to protect his head.

His house went in every direction. As he turned his head for a view back, a piece of guttering slammed into his wrist. Blood began to pour.

He covered his head and lay until the tornado passed.

When they got up, they saw the only section of roof intact was over their heads.

He soaked through three towels as he tried to stop the bleeding. An ambulance finally arrived and carried him to help.

The day we were there, each former home, had many people working in it's yard. Most were church groups. At Steve's two church groups worked alongside of us for hours, cleaning up the debris.

Numerous other groups stopped by to offer food our assembled group of nearly 50. We were already fed, by those who planned ahead!

We were overwhelmed at loving, giving spirit of those who were present!

I am thankful for a God who gives, and takes away. We are often reminded of what is truly important in life. Steve and Pam were/are thankful to be alive. The stuff is just stuff. They know they didn't need it, and have amazing attitudes about starting over!

When things get difficult, who we really are gets tested, and surfaces.

I was thankful to stand by my friend who kept giving glory to God!

Thank you Lord for how you minister in our hearts! Thank you for allowing us to try and do likewise!


dad

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Briann said...

Hello. I have posted here before, but recently I watched a video on Vietnam and decided I wanted to go there. I didn't make the connection that this happened just a few months after I read "I would die for you". In december I started writing in a journal and wrote often how I wanted to be like BJ and how much I look up to him as a brother in Christ. I remembered a few nights ago that one thing I had found in my Bible while praying about if I should be a missionary or not after reading the book, I found this verse:
1 Peter 2:21
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

Thank you so much for writing this book! It has gotten me on fire for Christ and I can't wait to meet B.J one day when HE returns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home