Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The summer of 2004, Beej received a teaching from David Post at Awestar on "putting on the full Armor of God." This really struck a chord with him, and the Lord used this teaching to minister to many upon his return.

I am afraid the notes in his journal fall significantly short of what was in his head, and on his heart. However, I want to share them with you. First, you will see a "what to do," then as you will see how to practically apply this, as he shares "what did I do" from personal experience during a spiritual low point.

"Evaluation: What do I do?

Suit up! Ephesians 6:10-18

First- Fasten tightly the Belt of Truth to hold you up.
-Turn to God's Word and servants to find the truth on uncertain matters.

Second- Put on (and repair) the Breastplate of Righteousness to guard your heart.
-Focus on God, strive to live like Him. Realize and remember that you are righteous and strive to live it out.

Third- Prepare for battle by putting on th Gospel of Peace as shoes.
-Daily read God's Word and understand the Gospel so you are prepared if you fall. Begin memorizing scripture again.

Fourth- Take up the Shield of Faith to quench the fiery arrows.
-Trust God in all you do. Believe that He protects you and will guide you. He has everything under control, so be courageous. "He is who He says He is, and will do what He says He is going to do." Then Satan cannot pierce you with doubt and worry.

Fifth- Secure the Helmet of Salvation to protect your head.
-Turn back to God. Realize and remember that He has forgiven you. Remember who you are. Remember your calling.

Last- Take up the Sword of the Spirit- the Word of God.
-Use scriptures, God's Word, to actively attack sin and defeat Satan's strongholds Fight! This is war!


Diagnosis: What did I do?"

Belt of Truth loosened, causing me to stumble.
-Uncertainty on certain doctrines caused a little confusion.

Did not prepare or shoe myself with the Gospel of Peace- put flip flops on.
-I slacked on staying in the Word and did not memorize scripture.

Without proper shoes, could not get up from stumble regarding the Belt of Truth.
-I did not turn to the scriptures to gain a firmer understanding of the truth.

Disarmed, became more vulnerable to attack.
-I was not paying attention to God; or Satan attacking me (dropped my guard).

During fall, dropped Shield of Faith.
-I stopped trusting God in everything.

Breastplate of Righteousness pierced, cracked.
-My lifestyle altered, I became more irritable, depressed, cynical, less caring, more prideful.

Helmet of Salvation slipping.
-My lifestyle corrupted, my desire for God gone, I stood on the brink of rejecting Him altogether.

Sword of Spirit in sheath.
-I was not actively attacking Satan or my sin.



Beej was 14 when he grasped and taught these truths. He was passionate about the issue of Spiritual Armor. He continued to practice these principles of "what to do," and then diagnosing "what he'd done," until he went home. I trust the Lord is using them in each of our lives in similar fashion. If He hasn't, He desires to begin.

Serving the King beside you,

dad



thank you so much for the ornament and poem. please forgive me for failing to do so sooner.

6 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, "dad higgins" for passing on the insights from such a wise young man--truths that enable us to carry on each day with the vision of the cross a little closer to our hearts.

Forever praying in VA for you and our body,
Brian

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for today's posting. What a great practice to review my armor for the day. Praise the Lord for His gentle reminders and outstretched arm.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren-just seeing your smiling, beautiful face fills me with joy-good to see you on Sunday! Whitney-you are such a blessing to my heart to hear you sing-even in a crowd-it was good to see you on Sunday too!

SuzAnne Keith

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this excellent teaching. I have printed a copy to put into my own prayer journal so that I can review it often.

You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. May you be upheld and encouraged today.

Love and prayers,
Toodie

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessings Higgins Family.

Whitney, do you have a CD at all of you singing? I keep hearing everyone talk about your beautiful voice and I love to surround myself with songs of worship that if your church makes copies of services or just the songs, I would love to get a copy.

BJ's words are a good reminder not to get caught up in the "stuff" that is our world but to focus instead on the glory that is to come.

Peace and love, Tina

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Hey family! Just saying a little hello as a reminder that I'm thinking about you all a lot and praying for you still. I love you guys! :)

Ashley Dawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home