Wednesday, December 28, 2005

For those who are interested in reading it, a story on BJ and Joshua has been posted on "Voice of the Martyrs" website. You can access it by going to www.linkingup.com and then clicking on "Kids of Courage." It is encouraging to see his story continue to bring glory to our Savior.

Sunday, Christmas morning, we enjoyed celebrating Jesus' birth at our home church. One of the reasons is because of the love shared with us through hugs, and kind words. To see the body lift one another up is an encouragement.

Just before services started, an elderly lady named Rosemary (Ben-jammin's grandma) came up to where we sat, gave me a hug, told me that she loved us, and shared that she continued to pray for us through this difficult time. She is on oxygen, and has to haul it with her everywhere she decides to go. It is no small chore, but one she does not let hinder her from blessing others.

I was touched at her kindness. This was not the first time she had done this. I tried to make my way to her on many occassions, so she would not have to come to us. However, she never let her age, her condition, or anything else get in the way of ministering to us. What a blessing.

I like metaphors. I know you know this. I tend to think in metaphors. Many times I thought of Rosemary, her oxygen, and life. Before Beej's journey, I would sit in church on Sunday morning and think about how her oxygen pump kept infusing fresh clean air for her to breath... to keep her going.

I compared this spiritually, to our lives, and the constant need for a touch from our Lord. How He is faithfully there infusing just what we need, if we allow Him. He meets our needs, and provides life, so we can meet others needs. As her Oxygen pump whispered encouragement to her body in a steady rhythm, so did our Savior to ours. However, if we do not stay alert, that same experience could lull us to sleep.

After Beej's passing, hearing the device had new meaning. Beej had spent too much time on the patriarch to Rosemary's pump. The one he was on was the last possible step... no other options after it. Except the Lord might intervene, might breathe new life into his tired body. This did occur, not perhaps in the way we would want, but in the way He knew best, and would be glorified most.

Christmas day, Ben-jammin' played the piano as special music in church. I know his grandmother was very proud of him. After church, she was in the car with her John. She had an episode, and went home to be with Jesus.

How bittersweet for her family. How difficult to lose her unexpectedly. How difficult that it happened at Christmas. How precious for her, that it occurred on the day she celebrated her Savior's birth.

Ben-jammin,' Rose, Chuck and family, we are praying for you! Rosemary blessed us amid the storm in our lives, and we loved her. We love you, and trust Him to hold you.

brent (dad)

12 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins Family...
My family said a "special prayer" for you at Christmas eve dinner. Not necessarily for your strength..(even though thats important too!) but that God can continue to use you in miraculous ways...to be a witness and a vessel of his love to people of all ages. I hope you realize how much you've done! Have a blessed break...a much needed one I'm sure! Hope to talk to you and get to know you sometime soon!

Walking by Faith,
Kara Palmer
(friend of BJ's from Clay Jr. High)

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Kara again...sorry I forgot to add something!

Please pray for my chance to go to Africa this summer. My dad is very hesitant to let me go because of sickness...yet I know Africa is something God has been calling me to for years. Thanks so much :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Lauren, Whitney, and Deanna, what beautiful harmonies you have together!!! Your voices literally took my breath away on Sunday morning at church and I hope to listen to you sing again soon! I know if my sisters, mother, and I all got up to sing, the congregation would cover their ears and run away! :) Thank you for the beautiful music.
~Emily Vaught

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lauren and Whitney,
I have had you both on my mind so much this week. I know that you are all grieving the loss of BJ and that it is normal for all the talk to be about him and his life. But in the midst of all this, God has placed a special burden on my heart to pray for the 2 of you. I am praying that you feel a lot of love from all your friends and family and that you never feel overlooked or neglected. I know when a child is ill in a family or when a new baby is born, that the others can feel neglected. I don't want that to happen to you. Know that you are so important to your parents, your extended family and friends. You are beautiful, and your pictures are priceless possessions. God loves you dearly!!
Family loves you too!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing Rosemary was. She was a fragrance of heaven.

We´re here in Mexico sharing Jesus with the lost, and I wanted to drop you guys a note saying that you are continually on our minds. It´s like BJ is here with us. We all want to see Jesus glorified and finish this race well. We love you and we´re walking with you.

Rachel Long
Awe Star Mexico Team

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins Family,
I am thankful that you have continued to write about your joys, pain, and Christ loved glorified in your son. It is a comfort to me to see how you have journeyed over the past few months. May God continue to grant you comfort, strength and peace in the future. Continue to lift the torch for Jesus.
God's Richest Blessings,
Brenda Kemp, New London, WI

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Traci and I are late in this, but we hope you had a wonderful Christmas and pray you have a Happy New Year. You and your family remain in our prayers.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fam,
Just sayin hey and I love you guys.
-DJ

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you all to know, we in Ft. Wayne, are still praying for you and thinking about you. May the love of God continue to bless you through this tough Christmas season!! WE will continue to remember the legacy that BJ left behind and to let it continue to challenge us each day to live for Jesus. Bless you Higgins Family

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading about life being breathed into BJ ,reminds me of the song that I listened to during my prayer time for him when he was in the hospital. It was Newsboy's "Thrive". I was always able to visualize him when I heard it.
"Thrive"
down here in the valley
every shadow you see
has its own story
down here in the valley
every puddle of mud
comes from tears and blood
and it's so hard just to get warm
that the chill turns into despair

will you lift me up with tender care?
will you wash me clean in the palm of your hands?
will you hold me close so I can thrive?
when you touch me, that's when I know I'm alive


That's an exerpt from the song.
I remember that you said BJ had wrote He went through the blood we can at least go through the mud.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article regarding the Kids of Courage!!! May GOD use it to reach others!!!

Deb
Florence, KY

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ya doing Pray for BJ, Hope you are having a good day. Your this post site is most interesting. I was looking for prayer related information when I came across it. Thanks for the read. I have a site that may interest you come and visit sometime, prayer thanks again, take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home