Friday, January 13, 2006

Today, a few students from Awestar are coming to our home, just to spend time with us. I cannot tell you how much this means to us. Flying and driving from different U.S. cities, just to hang out, share and encourage each other.

As I've thought about it, I am struck at what it cost for this to happen.

There are parents footing the bill for many of these trips. We are so greatful for this provision. It is one thing to send your child overseas for missions work, but quite another to send them to the home of someone you don't know, for what appears to be frivolous reasons.

They are not frivolous to us! Each of these students have made sacrifices to serve the King. We look forward to times of discussion about our Savior, how He is working in each of our lives, times of worship, times of tears, and times of laughter. This, I believe is all a part of God's design for the healing each of us need to experience.

We know for the most part who will be here, and are very excited. However, one person wants it to be a surprise. I am heading to the airport today to pick up someone... someone I hope I recognize, someone I hope recognizes me. When you don't know who is coming, all sorts of things run through your mind. Especially being at an airport with hundreds of people. How will I know which one?

I think this is very much the way it was when I met Jesus. I had never seen Him. I only knew of Him through what I had read, and the stories from others. In a sea of many people, amid so much pain and ugliness (inside of me), when I was in so much need, I met a man who was also God. He gave His all, that I might have life, that I might learn to die, to bring Him glory.

When I met Him, I knew it was right. I knew it was what I had been looking for. There was completion in my soul I had never experienced.

Today, at around 1:30, I will go stand by a revolving luggage conveyor, and wait to see who comes. I know the surprise will bless my girls and me. I cannot wait!

Please pray for my friend Kristin D. who was to come, but as many of you have read in the last couple of days, she is experiencing undiagnosed symptoms, and cannot risk the trip. Kristin, we will miss you so much. We love you!

For the rest of the Awestar family, we have thought of each and every one of you as we try to figure out who our surprise is. For those moments at least, you are here with us, and we appreciate your presence!

If you have never been on a mission trip overseas, please allow me to encourage you to do so as soon as you can. Seek the Lord first, but know there is something amazing that He does within you, when you are obedient to His call. He changes you in all the right ways, even if it hurts. A heart for missions is what we should each be about. Each of us should either be going or helping to make it possible for others to go.

"Will you go? Will you answer the call and get uncomfortable for Christ?"

dad

14 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, I am praying for you.
However, I also need prayer. I'm at a point where God is choosing not to reveal His plans to me.. it's a long process, but I know it's worth it.
Pray for my mom - that she would be at peace whatever God decides to do. I'm going to obey, whether He calls me to stay home this summer or to go to a forgeign place. I don't know what He's doing, but for now all I can do is wait. I don't know what I'm waiting for, but it's an adventure in itself. Hopefully sometime very soon I will be able to talk with you and even pray with you.. but for now I'm praying without you - but still for you. :)
I hope your time spent with those students from Awestar will be full.. full of the Spirit, full of tears, and full of joy.
Love you guys.

Philippians 1:3 - I thank my God every time I remember you.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is totally awesome that you will have visitors from Awe Star. A group that is focused on missions. They have a mission this weekend and that is to minsiter to the Higgins Family. Praise the Lord for his mercies. Thank you Awe Star families for coming , for sacificing your time . Lord bless everyone this weekend in a mighty way!

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a thorn in my flesh. I want to go, but one of my parents won't let me. God's the only one to change their mind at this point.. but I long to go overseas! I have felt the calling very very strongly and want to DO something about it. I guess I'll be waiting too.. just pray for the Lord's will.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blessing God has sent your way! May ALL of you experience his spirit in an unimaginable way this weekend...Praise Him, Praise Him. I can hardly imagine the praise, honor, presence, and glory that He could bring. May it be so. Can't wait to hear what He does...and who the special, unknown visitor is!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you that my Second Graders still pray for your family, without prompting, nearly everyday. God Bless you!

Heather Bennett
Carlsbad CA

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Anonymous, from 9:01 a.m:

I can empathize with your being torn by not being able to follow God as you see Him calling you. There have been times when I was younger that I had to obey earthly parents, even though it didn't FEEL like the right thing to do. Your relationship with them will be for the rest of your life, and you are doing the God-honoring thing by respecting them in this situation. It doesn't mean that they are right, but your submission and respect will cement your relationship with them, and they will be able to see God in you by your obedience.

Please do not give up on your calling from God--your parents will come around soon (hopefully), OR there will come a time when you are no longer under their "rule," and you will be free to follow your heart....

Another thought: Look for opportunities to be a missionary for God daily, and also be preparing yourself mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for the time when the door is opened for you. The times of waiting can be agonizing (as alluded to by Brittany di Salvo in her post, also), but we must use them for a time of growth and learning.

In actuality, my husband and I are in one of these periods, as I know the Higgins family (and others) are too. Let's keep serving,loving, and learning from the God that we know is completely worthy of our praise!

In Christ, Jolene

P.S. Brent, Deanna, and girls: we are continually praying for you!
Lots of love to you all!

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Family
How awesome the suprise will be!
I pray for you all to have an experience to remember this weekend with your house guests, for all of you. May God heal your aching hearts a bit more through out the weekend.
I send Love, huggs and prayers with you, forever,
your sister in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., In

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that I get to spend time with my family this weekend! How I've missed you all! Please pray for my safety as I drive from Hannibal, it started snowing today. I love you guys and can't wait to see you!

Heath

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather just called to tell me she is on her way to see you all this afternoon. Thank you for the reminder call yesterday. She would have been sick to have missed the weekend. I echo her prayer request for her safe travel as it is snowing. May you all be incredibly blessed this weekend. Thanks for inviting and hosting this gathering of such a special group of people. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love,
Toodie

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww! how sweet of you guys!

i love you just as much.. i hope you know that too!

thank you so much for you prayers.. i will be praying for this weekend! its going to be great!
I wish i knew who the suprise was.. thats so exciting!!

love you guys..
~kristin

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

I am excited to hear who your surprise visitor is! I will be praying for you guys and for all yoru visitors this weekend that you can just relax in each other's company and be filled and fill each other. May all the broken, aching pieces of you be touched this weekend. Love you very much *kim

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom and Pop!
I pray your time with the students will be a blessing!
Love
Brittany A.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!! Enjoy the sweet fragrance of loved ones and the praise and worship and love and peace they will bring to you!

Linda Anderson
Willows, California

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish Tiffany and I could be there! But unfortunately we can't. We still pray for you and think about you. Tell everyone from the Awe Star family that we said hi!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home