Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I was looking for specific video footage the other day, and came across a dvd from Deanna and BJ's mission trip to Corbin, Ky. this past summer (just before he left for Peru). I began to watch it and quickly realized I had never seen it. Everything on it was new.

I saw him interact with children he was ministering to in Corbin, and I heard him testify of how God had moved in his heart. Yes, I heard his voice!!! I cannot tell you how excited I became. I cannot tell you why we never watched it. I cannot figure that out. I can however say that I am glad I didn't. This was so precious to me. It took me back to his crazy antics... yes, even on mission, he was cavorting with his teammates. I know I write of them often, but seeing them someplace other than my mind was incredible.

We did not own a video camera, and do not have old video footage to look back on. We have lots of pictures (thank you Brad), but no treasure trove of old memories.

The value of this single disc is enormous to me. I cannot thank Pastor Larry enough for the nearly two hours of footage he shot (and narrated). Deanna's voice it on it as well. For those of you who have never met her, she has a very distinctive laugh. Many times while off camera, I hear her loud response to humor.

Seeing this has blessed me in ways I find hard to describe. For most of us, it is hard to sit and watch other people paint, tell Bible stories, or rip up flooring. On this day, for me, the only thing difficult was maintaining my composure. I was doing very well until the end.

The end of the video was of unloading the trailer of baggage and equipment. Exciting stuff! Then the camera panned over to the right. I had no idea where it was going. Suddenly, there was BJ in the famous "pink shirt"... you remember, the one he bought to get a rise out of me. The thing was, I couldn't see much of him. You see, I was embracing him, in the way we often did. The explosion of emotion I felt at seeing that footage caused me to have to excuse myself from the room (where other Awe Star staff were with me). I am so very thankful that this is on disc. I just was not prepared to see it.

I have always been a hugger. Those who know me, know I like to give hugs (not wimpy ones either). To see that moment saved for me to view again and again is priceless. I praise God for this small provision of remembrance!

dad

I am working with David (on staff with me) who will, Lord willing, help me to put some video clips of BJ on this site for you to view. We may actually get our family pic's up as well.


Roger, if you're serious, that would be incredible!!!

13 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel about the video. I lost my mother many years ago, and someone in the family found a really old movie of someones birthday party and she was there. I just melted when I heard her voice, as I had forgotten it over the many years. Thank you so much for your postings, they touch so many people, including me.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent.

What a precious treasure. As you know from Vickie, I am a hugger too. And like you say, not a wimpy hugger, but hug like you mean it. No patting, give me a good embrace. When God said He wouldn't give us more than we could handle, it must have been because He knew He would provide "strength" throughout the long journey of recovery. This is one of those lifting you up to help you get through moments. It probably isn't a surprise that it came at a time when you are separated from the rest of your family and longing for that connection.
God's peace be with you this day.
Tina

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know alot of people from North Side in Indy read this post, so does anyone know how Megan Whitely is doing? I heard she is in the hospital with some major problems.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched that dvd a few weeks ago and two of my favorite parts of the whole thing include BJ.

In one part, he is pacing back and forth getting ready to give the Bible story to the kids and all the sudden a giant yellow ball hits him and he is attacked by a small child!!!

The other part is where he sticks his nose up to the Camera and says "Should be clean...I picked it this morning!"

funny funny boy!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift you have been given and as always God's timing is perfect. I can't begin to imagine the effect this had on you and what a wonderful treasure for you to share with Deanna and the girls.

I too am a hugger, the bigger, the tighter, the better and how blessed am I, that all my children are huggers. Jenna my 20 yr old daughter in Australia had me in tears on the weekend as she was telling me how she has moments of crying because she misses me and immediately told me to get Kevin to give me a huge hug from her while we were still on the phone.
Showing our children how to love others whether it's through a kind word an action or a hug is so important and I'm so grateful that my children show their love towards me with their actions just as BJ so obviously did with his family.

In His Love
Linda
Shawnee

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious gift from God, all in perfect timing!

Can't wait to see the video/pictures. Know I may not blog as often as I should, but I am out here in CA praying for you all the time, and loving you and all that God is doing in your lives.

God bless!

Linda Anderson

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you...
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad-

hope tulsa is well. I finally got to listen to the MercyMe song yesterday. it just brings SO many things back to my heart..things that i haven't forgotten, but that i've decided to tuck away cuz they're too painful to deal w/everyday. so..i know i've said it before..but i loved your son. like he was my brother. he meant the world to me and i miss him incredibly.

i love you alot..i'm praying always.

~kristin

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

O.K., I'll send you some Inca kola . I'll mail it to the Awe star
office in Tulsa.

Roger

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good all the time.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering when the book about BJ will be out.

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!! That is such good news and I rejoice with you my brother! PrayforBJ.com has been such an encouragement and blessing in my life and I thank God for you all. John 12:24-25 was one of the first scriptures that came to my mind when my beloved friend and brother in Christ died on 1/9/04 2 hours before we were to leave from skiing Breckenridge, CO. He died on Volunteer Slope of Peak 9 and he was an organ donor. I gave my friend's testimony at his memorial service at his Dad's request. BJ's testimony and your family's postings have been inspirational, comforting, and encouraging and even though we have never met, I am certain I would welcome you with the love of Christ which shined forth out of our loved ones who are now with Jesus in Heaven. My friend's name is Brandon Barfield. He wanted to be a youth pastor/missionary. He loved Jesus passionately; it's who he was here on earth and now even more in Heaven. God bless you all. Love in Christ our Lord, Will Hill

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Brent...I am going back a few days since I am having such a hard time getting my head above water with our move...

I sit hear once again as I have SO many times with tears simply streaming down my face.

All I can think is how incredibly merciful our God is...how He shows us over and over and over that He intimately cares for us. How He can reach down and give us the gentle "hugs" in obvious gifts like this video was to you...to me. How amazing that He can use EVERYTHING He does to reach MANY.

Praise the Lord for all of your's, Deanna's, Lauren's, & Whitney's faithful obedience!

Our God is so good...always.

In His precious care,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home