Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Some days you are headed in the right direction, and you still end up in the wrong place. I had one of those days recently. They can be interesting, even enjoyable, if you learn to react from faith and not frustration.

I am a Sonics fan. Not the basketball team, the fast food stop. Twice since I have been here in Tulsa, I have placed and order with a coworker, only to have them return and tell me that Sonics doesn't carry what you asked for.

Well, the Sonics in Indiana carried what I ordered, but they all closed a year or two ago. I guess Indianapolis just wasn't into the whole Sonics concept. You know, the old rootbeer stand idea crossing with modern day fast food? I can hardly believe they changed their menu. When staff returned and told me that they no longer carried Jalapeno Cheeseburgers, I was shocked. There is a Mexican restaurant every 100 yards here, how could Sonics not be able to sell that burger? (maybe because there is a Mexican restaurant every 100 yards!)

I am adapting, I just don't like it when restaurants dump your favorite food item.

Imagine my surprise then, when I had a hankering the other day for Taco Bell. (I know, I am eating too much fast food, but I am a bachelor right now.) I headed to the only one I knew in this area. I saw the sign as I neared it. One more stop light then it's on the right.

I began to think about the church service I had just come from, and what a blessing it had been. I turned in, and pulled up to the drive thru speaker. I looked up at the menu, and there wasn't a taco or burrito meal to be found anywhere. My mind began to race. Sonics dropped my favorite burger, and now Taco Bell has changed their entire menu? The only thing that even remotely resembled Mexican food was the word Jalapeno, but it wasn't going to be added to anything resembling a tortilla.

How could this happen? I have been told that Tulsa is middle America, and that many companies try new things out here, before they add it to other cities. I was ready to call 1-800-Taco Bell and tell them what I thought about their new burger menu selections. My next impulse was to drive off. That would certainly show them.

In a moment of weakness, I did nothing. I said, "I will have a number 10 please, with a coke."
In my bewilderment, I drove up to the window. It was only then that I realized it. I was not at Taco Bell. I was at a Tulsa favorite... Braum's (known for their Ice Cream and other dairy). Taco Bell was two doors down.

Oh well, number 10 was a Jalapeno Cheeseburger, and it was yummy! Your loss Sonic, I have found a new place for my favorite burger!

There have been many times in my walk with Christ where something like that occurred. I was headed in a particular direction, I thought I knew where I was going, and I ended up somewhere completely different. I call those "God moments" (has nothing to do with fast food). In spite of what you think you know, or what you think you are learning, He shows you something completely different, and you get blessed.

Thank you Jesus for that kind of provision!

dad

8 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found myself in that situation so often. I also have found them to be God moments. When that happens, I find myself thinking of Philip and eunech in the book of Acts.

Still praying daily for you and the family and missing BJ like crazy.

Laura O.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhahaaa! very cool story!
Brittany

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ya...by the way....my dad brought home the inca kola he promised you the other day...I did enjoy drinking one!
luv
Brittany

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, boys & I are doing a study by Precept called, "Boy, Have I Got Problems!" (study is on James) and we just read Isaiah 14:24-27.

"For the Lord of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?" vs 27

Praise the Lord that He is in control!

Tammy

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved your story.. How true is it when we are trying to get something done God steps in and provides for us in new and incrediable ways.. i praise God everyday for leading me in different directions everyday. i love change and everyday is a new one with the Lord and i can hardly wake up to see where Jesus and i will be going next. I talked to your daughter today and i got to pray with her. You and your family has been such a huge blessing to me. I will miss your blog everday as i leave for Alaska very soon. I'll be praying for you and your family as you all are going differnt ways with the Lord. Thanks again
Chrisssy

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't awesome when God gives you what you ask for in a totally new and different way? You were hungry for that Jalepno cheeseburger, and you got one, just not where you expected it. Is that a God moment or what.
Praying for you and the "girls".

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad-

haha! that was pretty stinking funny! God moments are really what keeps us going..that reminder that He's going "out of His way" to show us He loves us.
I told Deanna the other day.. but i have good news! mary and i might be coming to Tulsa this summer! to hang out and see everyone!! it would be early August.. =) i'm pretty excited about it. we still have to check all the details out w/our parents!

love you! praying always
~kristin

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, see, you shouldn't complain, you should've known you would've gotten your burger eventually.

-Ryan (2)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home