Friday, May 19, 2006

We played so many games together through the years, and yet he always had the energy for more. I'm glad I don't have a memory to count the times I declined, for one reason or another. From his earliest years he would hide when I got home from work, so that I would come and find him. He squealed with glee or would begin to laugh when he knew I was getting close. The games began here.

Hide and seek became a natural extension of this, as we often joined his sisters in a full fledged version. He never wanted to quit playing. He was so funny. He would play and play and play, then all of a sudden realize he needed to go to the bathroom, and take off at great peril to anyone in his way (sometimes he even made it, before expelling the drama). His enjoyment of games only increased.

It did not matter whether it was a board game, a made up game, charades, or sardines, he loved them all. The more mentally challenging the game, the more he enjoyed it. Unfortunately, there was an inverse relationship between how challenging the game was, and the number of people he could then find to play it. He thrived on mental stimulation. He rejected artificial stimulation, unless it was Mountain Dew or Inca Kola.

On our vacation the week before he went into the hospital, Beej and I played pool every evening. We both stunk at it, but that hardly interfered with the gamesmanship. We taunted each other, made fun, and had a great time doing it. I can honestly remember though, having a sick feeling in my stomach over his increasing illness. For reasons I cannot explain, something gnawed within. Even then, he did not want me to worry.

A few days later, he would tell me ..."I believe He will deliver me through this"... A few weeks later, he would cross from life, to Life. BJ, you Win this time, the only time that really matters!

He enjoyed playing games in life, but he didn't play them when it came to his faith in Christ!

dad


Today I fly back to Indianapolis to spend the weekend with my wife. We are to be interviewed Saturday morning by Angela Ganote from FOX. She is doing a follow-up to her previous "Unsung Hero" story on BJ. Sunday morning we will be interviewed live at Brownsburg Christian Church, by Angela in all 3 services. We would love to meet you if you are there!

13 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be in prayer as you are interviewed and His glory is increased!

:) Pray that it will be a great visit too...bet you can hardly wait!

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, have a wonderful visit with your loving wife. I will be in prayer for you and for the story's and interviews. Please ask her to put it on the website for us in different states, if possible. Would love to see it all! The last one was great and I know she will do an awesome job again. God bless you as you become "one" again with Deanna!!



Linda Anderson

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Hope your flight went well. Tell "mom" I said hi and give her a hug for me! :o) Love you guys!

Ashley Dawn

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently started reading your blog postings after becoming aware of BJ's story through MercyMe's song and information on the cd. You are a daily inspiration to me and countless others that you may never hear from. Let me say thank you for myself and for them.--Blessings.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was, by far, the best blog yet! Thank you!!

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, just wondering... did you ever break anything while playing these games? like..uh..um..a nose?
Have a great flight home and we'll be praying for you...love ya..

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy this special weekend!! Well, by the time you read this, the weekend will be over, so it is our prayer that you are enjoying it. We do not expect to hear from you today :)

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad--

i'll be praying for you this weekend. for safe travels and for a blessed time of interviews and sharing..and most importantly a good weekend w/your wife! i love you mom!
graduation is this weekend. Open House today.. ceremony tomorrow! its been a crazy week! we're still waiting on the final word from our parents about tulsa this summer..but things are looking good!

love you all. praying always
~kristin

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad--

i'll be praying for you this weekend. for safe travels and for a blessed time of interviews and sharing..and most importantly a good weekend w/your wife! i love you mom!
graduation is this weekend. Open House today.. ceremony tomorrow! its been a crazy week! we're still waiting on the final word from our parents about tulsa this summer..but things are looking good!

love you all. praying always
~kristin

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended the 9:15 service when you spoke at Brownsburg Christian Church and I would just like to tell you that I admire how you are still sharing BJ's word.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Higgins,
Your story today at Brownsburg Christian Church was so touching. Your son's walk with the Lord was truly inspirational to me- I hope that I will some day have the relationship with God that he did. And though his loss must have been devastating, he is still touching as many people's hearts as he did on the playground at eight years old or on the mission trip in Peru. Thank you so much for coming this morning!
God bless!

Amanda Dickerson
a.k.a. Jeffrey's daughter

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted you to know i'm still praying for you all! hopefully you had a great weekend together and were able to do some relaxing with all of your interviewing! i am also praying that god brings you safely back to ok, brent, and that you are all able to finish strong until you are back together again! god bless you for all of His good works that you are allowing to be done through you! i know bj is sooooooooo proud of you in heaven and enjoying the view of the "heavenly storehouses" you are building up for His kingdom. there is no better way for you to honor him and Him.

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember playing SO many card games with BJ in Peru. Oh goodness... we would play until they made us stop. He was the best Spades partner I've ever had. We seriously rocked!!

WE'RE COMING!!!! I don't know the exact dates yet, but it's official!! And I can't wait to see your faces and hug your necks!! I love you guys so much!!
Love and many many prayers!
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home