Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Since arriving in Tulsa, and as our schedules allow, we have been jogging/walking. When the girls arrived, they did likewise. I am proudest of Lauren who established a daily schedule, and stuck to it. She and Whitney set up a three mile course, and ran it regularly.

At this point Deanna prefers to walk. She and Lauren found a track across the street from where we currently live. Deanna has taken to walking their frequently. She was doing so last night, this time by herself as we are all now in Indiana.

Years ago, when BJ was little, he and his mommy were noticing a sunset together. Standing out vividly above the palette of colors that evening, was a shade which Beej particularly noticed. He commented on it to Deanna. She was so tickled that he even recognized the word and its corresponding color at that point, that she wrote it in her journal. BJ had spied the color "teal" and pointed it out. Deanna never forgot.

As a family, in the last year we have certainly become aware of pink sunsets. They have often come at unique and sentimental times for us. The color never meant near as much in his life as the life it has taken on in his sickness and death. Rusty said it well at his funeral celebration when he stated that "this color thing has gotten out of hand, and has come back to bite him."

Even so, it continues to bless us, and we continue to notice.

Last night, Deanna decided to walk an extra lap at the track. She knew it was getting late, and she needed to move quickly. This was not easy as she was tired, but she wanted to make this last trip around.

She rounded the corner and was met as she did by a sky which stopped her in her tracks. As the sun slid behind the clouds at horizons' deep, projected into the skyline was the intense color of pink. It sashayed above the treeline, and just to make sure she noticed, on this one year anniversary of his entrance into the hospital, a solid pocket of crisp teal hung just above the descending sun.

"Goodnight Mother," it seemed to say, "I love you."

On this blessed note, the conversation she had been offering up to BJ and her Father in heaven, concluded.

brent (dad)

10 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger natenamy said...

Brent, Lauren, and Whit--
It was so wonderful to see you all yesterday! It was great to get to sit down for dinner with you and catch up. It was also fun seeing all of the pictures of Morocco... hopefully we will get together again sometime in the near future so that we can chat some more about your trip and the ways God worked through all of you!
(P.S. Lauren, can you give me a call 831-5331 I have some clothes that you can go through!)
Deanna--
I just wanted to let you know that we missed not getting to see you yesterday! I thought about you often during our dinner and wished that you could have been here too. I am glad that you got to see a special sunset, just reminds you that He takes care of all of our needs... the BIG ones and small ones! What a neat surprise!
We love you all...
Amy and Nate too

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure when you write your postings Brent, your intention is not to have the blog family in tears, but today was one of those days, reading your post. My immediate thought was how wonderful God is to place such a sight before Deanna to remind her of how much He loves her.
Continuing to lift you all up in prayer.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

I still continue to check the blog each and every day as I have since it's beginning. It is hard to believe that it has been a complete year since B.J. entered the hospital, yet it seems like forever since the Higgins family left for Okl. I think of you often, and my family and I sure do miss you all. I know you have only a short time here in Indy, and many people to visit, but we would love to see you, should you get the chance.
"My" season is nearing, where I sit in a tree, bow in hand, watching what God has provided for us. The beauty is always awesome and I learn so much each time I go to the field. The closer this time gets, the more I am reminded of you as you spoke of Obsession vs. Passion. I try hard to keep it all in perspective, though it is difficult. Those sunset's have many meanings and touch us all in many ways. Pink sunsets always seem to catch our eyes, and present another beautiful end to a day.
Katelyn (I'm sorry....KATIE)(She's growing up, you know), was wearing her pink "Pray for BJ" shirt again, the other day, and was asked "WHO IS BJ"?, I was proud of how she told them about him.
Take Care, Be Safe, and May God Bless Each of You.
PROUD TO CALL YOU FRIEND,
Matt

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hey family--

that was beautiful dad. a beautiful picture. thank you.

i hope indiana is being good to y'all. i'm praying for a time of refreshment for all of you.

mom--i'm praying for you. i can just imagine you thinking about what and how to teach and pulling your hair out. i'm praying that when i see you next you aren't bald =)

love you all. praying always
~kristin

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful benediction to what had to have been a most difficult day!

Anne B.
(another lover of sunsets)

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss of words. Your post left tears rolling off my cheeks. I continue to pray for you and your family.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beatiful memory. thank you for sharing... it touched my heart in a very special way. <><

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the youth minister and praise team director at my church. I had been searching for a new song to teach my youth when I ran across "I Would Die for You" on the Mercy Me CD. I don't really know what lead me to it, but as I was reviewing the different songs on the CD, that name caught my attention. As I listened to it, I knew it was something I needed to interpret for my teenagers. I was looking over the words when I found the message about BJ at the bottom. I have been so touched by this story, and it blows my mind that I came to this site for the first time on such a significant day for you. I know that God did not place this story and song on my heart without a reason. I am so sorry to hear of your family's story, but happy to hear that BJ was such an incredible witness for Christ. God bless you all. You've truly touched me heart.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Blog Family, I return here this evening with a very heavy heart. I recieved a phone call from my mum today with news of my eldest daughter Emily (24) who is living in Australia.
Please bare with me while I try to explain. Firstly let me say that Emily does not know the Lord Jesus. Emily has suffered from epilepsy for approx 4 or 5 years now. She recently went back to the hospital for a checkup and the results of her MRI. She was told that she is a very good candidate for brain surgery as the epilepsy is severe (she has at least 5-10 grand marle seisures a day within a period of a week, every 3 - 4 weeks).She was also told that because of the medications she has been put on, that the left hand side of her brain has no function and that if she ever decided to have children then they would have a 99% chance of suffering from spinabifita.
As a mother my heart aches for my child, I have cried out literally to the Lord, in fact the tears still flow, but I also know that my God will supply all Emily's needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Would you please join with me in prayer for a miraculous touch from our Lord Jesus, both in health and salvation.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Amarillo house insurance rates renault cangoo United states pain relief order online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home