Friday, September 29, 2006

I recently changed offices here at Awe Star. My new office is bigger, and has more room to spread out. I like it.

The only thing about my office that isn't great is that my door sticks. When I try to close or open it, it drags on the carpet in one spot. This brings my door to a halt when I am trying to push or pull. It's kind of annoying.

I remember when I was very young, my parents decided to hang a new door at the front entrance to the house. My dad was not handy. I loved him dearly, but he did not pass on any mechanical skills to Brad or me. Even so, I still have vague memories of him setting up saw horses and borrowing a planer to help the door to fit right.

He patiently drug that planer over the areas of the door that seemed to be causing it to fit poorly. He hung and rehung that silly door. He planed and planed. I sat and watched...I got bored...it took too long.

How did dad have the patience to keep taking that stupid door down and working it until it fit?

You know what? He did it so well that it has hung at the front entrance for most of my life.

Too many times, while we are pursuing the will of the Father, we hit a snag and stop. We park in that spot and get mired in self pity. Our spiritual hands are thrown up in disgust believing that if we were supposed to proceed the door would not have drug to a pause.

The reality is that just because the door sticks, does not mean we are supposed to stop proceeding.

Clearly, there are times when the Lord closes doors or windows before us. But other times, our weariness is revealed by our lack of pursuit of that which He desires for us.

My office door works, but in time it will wear out the carpet if it doesn't get adjusted.

There are times when we need to look at our method of pursuing His will. Is our current avenue of pursuit going to erode a relationship and do we need to refine our methodology? Yep, sometimes that is the case. It happens to me, and it happens to you.

This is where Beej was effective. He did not bulldoze the path before him. He did not grind to a halt with obstacles. He moved along at a pace that was constantly looking to the Father for cues. If there was a pause, He was already in the Word seeking answers. He knew how to proceed, and if he didn't, he was not afraid to ask for wise counsel.

Just because the way before me seems to have reduced light penetrating the portal does not mean I should stop and plow a new path. I have had to learn patience. Sometimes, I need to slow down and pay attention along the way, because I am about to learn something that will help me pass through the entry with greater ease. I find I am even more effective in my Father's work when I yield in these moments of pause.

God bless you this weekend!

dad

13 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dad,

Love ya,

-Deej

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Word of God, Speak" and we will hear when we are still and listening. "Let me stay in rest, in Your Holiness". MercyMe has a way with His Words. . .

Sometimes the door seems slow in it's opening because we need time to absorb what our Lord is doing in our lives. In moving too swiftly we might not realize His true calling.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me & my wife get a lot of comments from people telling us how we are helping them by journaling on our daughter Zoie's website. I always say "thank you" but never got the full effects of what they meant. I feel I get it now. The journaling you do on this site really helps me in my walk with Jesus and also in learning to walk through life after the loss of my daughter. When Zoie died I swore I would not live a life of depression. The way I see it the devil wins if I do. I do get depressed but I refuse to live there. It's a challenge but we will win. Thanks for publishing your innermost thoughts. You never know who they may help. You have helped me. Live on B.J.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wearing pink all week with hope and prayers for your family today and everyday. love and huggs wrapped with my faith around each of you.
sincerely
lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

October 1, 2006

You all have been in my thoughts and prayers all week. Today I'm remembering with you the joys that BJ brought when he entered your lives 17 years ago. You're loved!

Becky

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

happy birthday, beej!!!!

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, BJ!!

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey whats goin on Dad,


see ya soon,
Micah

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dad
hows it goin

see you in November

Micah

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just wanted you to know i'm praying for you today on bj's birthday. i can't imagine what it must be like a year later... and having to always remember his birthday and passing so close together. i pray that you were able to celebrate as you grieved this weekend... bj would have been a spectacular 17 year old, so i can only imagine how sweet of an angel he must be that God has chosen him to be in heaven. god bless...

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BJ !!!!
We walked for my grandbaby today.
Light The Night! ( Jayden)

Love, Tammy

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of you and your family yesterday -
Praying for you and knowing God is keeping you in His extra special care.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mrs.higgins
couldnt find pics of bj in hospital
I wanted to show my cousins
we read
so sorry keep on going
love ya Tiffany Walker

p.s. 6 grade student

 

Post a Comment

<< Home