Friday, February 02, 2007

I have a thing for nice, soft, manicured hands. My hands are not my favorite feature but they look a little better with care, preferably, a manicure. Since I play the piano, it gets a little tricky if my nails get too long. OK I know this shows how vain I can be. Feel free to give it to me.

Recently I was talking with a friend about the intensity of the Higgins’ and her response was “that’s why we love you.” How sweet is that?

In the middle school world, life is intense. Drama is the order of the day, every day. One day they hate you, the next day, they tolerate you. They mess with your mind on purpose. They mess with your mind for fun. Often, feeling stressed in the result.

Not unlike many fields you may chose, teaching is a difficult one. Not only because the clientele is unpredictable, but because different states want to torture you with tests and classes and transcripts from 20 years ago, and drown you in paper work and expenses along the way. After a degree in Music Education, 20 plus hours of music workshops and classes and 12 years of practical teaching experience, I was “awarded” a 2 year provisional license here in Oklahoma. Isn’t that nice. It’s provisional because I have to take not one, not two, but three tests costing me 250 dollars.

Excuse me, but do I sound bitter?

Well, I guess the frustration gets to me sometimes. Is all the hassle worth it? I have to believe it is. Life routinely involves hassles. Inconveniences. Interruptions. Work. Effort. Getting off your tushy and doing something. Putting one foot in front of the other when you’d rather give in and give up.

Frustrated and discouraged, I got a manicure yesterday. When we were in Africa, I thought I would never frivolously spend money that way again. Well, it’s been 6 months and I did it and I’m admitting it to you. Do I feel better? Yes, it was nice. I feel very prissy and I guess that’s OK.

When I notice my manicured hands, I pray I will be reminded that inward beauty is of the most importance.

I Peter 3:3-4 “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”

Mom

12 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how real and true. I fight the erge for a treat to myself and even vacations. there are real needs out there , I tell myself. I don't think I should ponder these thoughts, yet I do. God my father thank you for the times that I allow myself small pleasures. I need them to gear myself up for more of your work to be done. it is about you...

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna, You're so funny--thanks for the post this morning. Well, this week I've entered the world of substitute teaching...HOWEVER, I've let the system know that they are NOT to call me for middle or senior high school "opportunities."

Kindergarteners are full of energy and emotion, but still sweet--I've helped in their classroom 3 days this week. I even taught in Spanish. That was fun.

Overall, it's tough to go into a situation where I do NOT know what is going on, what the teacher's rules and schedule and personality are, and to act like I have it under control. I was letting kids sharpen their pencils, then the teacher's aid griped at them strongly for their disobedience...they had asked permission...and the silly substitute granted it to them. SIGH!

We all made it through the 3 days, even with several tasks successfully completed. And the kids had fun! (The school has already called me back for an additional assignment, so I guess we're all OK).

Hats off to all you school teachers!

Jolene

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger natenamy said...

Deanna-
You deserve to be pampered, and your inner beauty shines through, manicured nails or not!
We love you!
Amy (and Nate too)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deanna.

For my 40th birthday, my friend insisted on taking me for a pedicure. I have never received one, although I had given many while in cosmetology school 20 years ago. I HATED them. Well, things have changed a lot and the set up is much better now. And I have to admit, I really enjoyed it and felt very pampered, especially every time I look at my nicely painted toes whose polish held up so much longer than when I do it myself. Afterwards, I remember thinking of Jesus talking to his disicples about being servants and accepting being served. Maybe it's justification, but I realized what a true gift it is to allow someone to "pamper" my feet when it was not something I would normally do. The gift my friend gave me was very kind and the person who did it I very much appreciated. I hope you enjoy your little pleasure in the midst of chaotic life around you.

Blessings, Tina

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Marti, my first thought was of Brent but then I remembered he hadn't written before about playing the piano. I knew it was Deanna!
Sometimes I feel that way about life. Why all the trials, difficulties, heartbreak and sorrow? Can't life be easier? Most of the time, I don't understand it either. And I get bitter and angry. So if a manicure brings a little comfort and sanity, what's wrong with that? Praising and praying with you. \o/

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard your voice in every word and it had the wonderful effect of bringing a huge smile to my face! Thank you for sharing! Love you!

~Katie

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. It doesnt hurt to give oneself a treat ever so often =)

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post!!! Yes, there are so many needs out there, and we must always put the first most of the time, but if we don't take care of ourselves, and let God pamper us every once in a while, even through a manicure/pedicure, we will be thoroughly drained, spent, and unable to be used! I don't think it was the "beauty" of what you did that mattered, Deanna, I think it was a way to relax, unwind, and through it all, let God refresh you!

God bless you!

Agape~

Linda Anderson

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your article is very informative and helped me further.

Thanks, David

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you crack me up - it's ok to take care of yourself, and don't feel guilty about it.

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Mom!! Teaching is definately one of the more difficult, costly, and time-consuming callings... but from what I know and have heard, you are amazing at it and bless kids and parents in so many different ways!!

YOU are beautiful inside and out and I know that the Lord rejoices over you day after day!! (Zephaniah 3:17)

Love you and am praying for you!
Mary

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

michael kors outlet
nike vapormax
nike air max
jordan shoes
kobe shoes
air max 97
balenciaga
nike shox for men
converse outlet
christian louboutin outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home