Friday, April 13, 2007

Below is a letter that BJ wrote to his 2005 Peru team before their trip, in response to the verses from Romans 10:14-15, which say:

"How then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

This quote in Romans, refers back to Isaiah 52:7 which similarly says:

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

BJ's response to these verses are as follows:

Wow. These really are some powerful verses!...these verses really speak to me at this point in my life because though God has taught me and equipped me to GO and serve Him, I often hesitate and even avoid doing His work in my daily, weekly, and even monthly life. I sometimes feel like I am lingering in the valley, wanting and waiting to be lifted up to the mountain--to share with others of how awesome my Savior is, to be close to God, etc. But this verse speaks out to me of how in order to move somewhere else, I have to get up and GO.

I think its also cool how it says, "As it is written, 'Beautiful on the mountain are the feet of those who bring good news.' " Sometimes, it is as if we look up to the mountain and hesitate to climb it because we don't want our feet to get dirty spiritually--we don't want to face the pain, the persecution, and the warfare that we know awaits us. But this verse shouts to me loud and clear: God likes dirty feet! In fact, He describes them as beautiful! When we push through and persevere, when we climb the mountain despite the struggles and solely rely on God, He is glorified, and THEN we are fulfilled and satisfied.

It is sad how much of a stronghold that Satan has in our country with apathy and lethargy. Too often, even, in our own lives (or in mine, at least), do we(/I) fall to thoughts of "Letting someone else do it," or, "Its not that important," or, "It can wait." And not getting up and being obedient to God's call...

Anyway, these verses just really emphasize to me that we/I need to GO, be obedient, and share the Gospel. Not just this year or this summer, but right now, in our own schools or workplaces, for there are CERTAINLY many lost people there as well. "And how can they believe in one of whom they have not heard?"

In Christ's Love,

BJ


Today we need to "Go" and be obedient. Tomorrow too.

BJ was ready. He went.

I can imagine what our Savior says to those who come home with "dirty" feet. I don't like to think about what He says to the believers who come home with "clean" feet.

Think about it.

Consider this.

What do we need to do?


dad

3 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mission field revelations abound on AweStar trips, BJ's words are several of many that I am sure he had revealed to him on the mission field. It is so refreshing to be on mission and to just hear God's voice so clearly. Thanks be to God for His glorious pursuit of us.
Matt

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loud and clear is His message --- why, then, do we slumber or wait? Get excited to play in the mud -- and play in the mud for HIS glory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home