Wednesday, August 04, 2010


Deanna and Carol in Indiana


The CT scan revealed multiple stones in both kidneys. The one causing the pain (is in the ureter) is "large" but they believe I can pass it. Nothing yet, however.


I have been thinking about how often generalizations are made by many of us.

I once served with a pastor who had been trained in a specific denomination, but was pastoring a non-denominational church. While in the pulpit, he spoke unkindly about the denomination my family and I had come out of. He did so, in all honesty, from a position of ignorance or lack of understanding.

I was not hurt by it, as I knew he was not talking about us, but realized that I probably do the same thing.

My family and I have been fortunate to serve in many countries around the world. In the process, I have met many people. Some people groups are far more relational than others.

One specific people group from South America, are some of the most genuine I have ever met. They are highly relational. They talk to me on-line or send me messages every week, and I was only with them for a few days. When other mission groups go into their land to work, they send gifts back with them, for me. I am humbled by this!

What is interesting, is how many people are fearful to even think about going to this country, because of who their leader is. He is charismatic, opinionated, and not necessarily liked by our government. His feelings about our government are similar.

Knowing this, making a decision to minister in this country was made more difficult by generalizations about how people from the USA would be received there.

Had I listened to the idea our government portrayed about traveling there, I would have missed out on some of greatest blessings in friendships that I have known.

I know I have made generalizations in my life. I have done so about denominations, people groups, and other things.

Others make generalizations about Christians. Television routinely portrays us weirdos.

Seldom are they correct in their handling of who we really are.

Still, when I take teams to other countries, what those people know of us, usually comes from American tv.

In Muslim lands, US women are considered promiscuous, because of shows like Baywatch among others.

When they get to know us, they are often surprised.

Many in our country, tend to assume that all Muslims are terrorists. I have never been so moved as when walking a desert road in North Africa, and having a family invite my team in for tea. They didn't know us. They didn't know why we were there. They were just being friendly, and in all honesty probably gave all they had to my team, to show us kindness. This kindness is not likely to be extended to those same people, here in the USA.

We cannot assume or make generalizations about people groups any more than we can about denominations.

If we are Christ-like, we see that all people are important to our Savior, and therefore, need to be loved by each of us.

This is much easier to say than it is to do, but we must try!

Seek to bless one you may not have thought about blessing, today.


dad

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger KK said...

Love you and miss you.

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful words....
God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home