Friday, December 16, 2005

I was awakened in the middle of the night with this story on my heart. I am always uncertain whether to share certain things, and therefore hold back at times.

When our family returned from our vacation in August, as you know Beej was sick. That in mind, the two of us visited his work. We did so to pick up his check (he had worked one week) and to check his work schedule for the next week. I also wanted to let his manager know that he was ill, and we were uncertain about his ability to come to work, but said that we would keep him informed.

You know the rest of the story... Beej went to the hospital, fought a valiant battle, and we watched the Lord unite the body of Christ across the world. The Father in heaven called him home. He never got to cash or spend his $74.00 check, but his heavenly reward surely exceeds his expectation. We his family, have been left to serve our fairest Lord Jesus, and He has allowed us to share Beej's legacy, and see lost people come to Christ. If there had only been one who came, Beej would have counted it gain... even if only seeds had been planted... gain! The Lord has blessed this, and many many have given their hearts to Jesus. Praise His Holy Name!

What you don't know is that a week before we were to head to Tulsa (to share for the first time), I went to Beej's work. He had worked at a clothing store, locally owned, by a precious Christian family. I went there because I did not own a suit that fit me. Being involved in youth ministry for many years, I no longer dressed in suits to attend my Fathers house. I figured that I may need to purchase a couple in order to be appropriately dressed to come before congregations.

I told the staff what I wanted. John helped me find a suit, an extra pair of pants to mix and match, two dress shirts, two ties, two pair of sox, and a new pair of shoes. You see, I was wearing my father's shoes, who had passed 11 years ago. I had had them resoled once, and they were in "need" again. They were good shoes, and I saw no point of replacing them, until now.

John measured the length for hemming my pants, he took meticulous care of me that day. When I was set, I went to the counter with him to pay for my purchases. I waited for him to ring up my finds. He looked at me and said, "Dad and I have talked about this, and we know what you are doing, and we want to support you, so there won't be any charge for these items."

I could not speak. I was overwhelmed. I had easily amassed a bill exceeding $500.00. This only son of his father, had hired my only son, and in an effort to serve the Father, and His only Son, were granting me this mercy, this gift, at a time that they saw that my need was great.

How like our Father and His Son, to reach out to one in need in such a precious and tender way. John, my friend Elsie Jay (who was there to help), and I cried together for a moment.

John, his father Jack, and his mother Joanie had already given so much to our family in Beej's loss. Though we had never met, his parents came to pay their respects at the calling, they had already contributed to one of the "BJ" funds. There was no more need for them to reach out. But they did.

That is the message we need to carry this Christmas. There is always more we can do. Not because anyone else deserves it, but because our Father in heaven does. Surprise someone this season of His birth. Extend a hand of caring, a gift of time or somehow, meet a need. Bring glory to our Father, and His One and only Son, born that we might live!

dad

14 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! That is all I can say to describe today's blog - beautiful! Simple acts change a persons life. Thank you for changing my life every day I visit this site. I pray for your family every day. I feel like we are family. I am inspired every time I visit. We can all make a difference in someones life. Today we took our daughter to school early so that she could donate a box full of children's books for children in need. That little act of kindness will bring joy to many children's lives this Christmas. Spreading the love of Christ. Much love and prayers goes out to you.

Your sister in Christ,
Noblesville, IN

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how BJ must be smiling...God Bless you

Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word and story "in due season"
Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story and for continuing to challange the body of Christ.

Lori Burkert

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ones,
We all have so much to be thankful for, and so much we all can give to others. Whether it be a material gift, a word of encouragement, the plan of salvation, or whatever God places in our hands, He will use that gift to accomplish His purpose. I remember and treasure the moment that day, as well as others since God has allowed our paths to cross.

KPO

Elsie Jay

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS THE HIGGINS' FAMILY.
I just wanted to say that reading this blog every day has helped me keep my focus on the important things in life. It seems all to easy to get caught up in the business of life. Thanks for keeping us grounded. Thank you for the continued daily inspiration. Life is too short and too fast to focus on worldly matters. I love reading the stories and the journal entries on this site. Just know that you are making a difference in the lives of many. Merry Christmas!

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Higgins Family,
I joined you in this journey when MercyMe sent out an email asking us to pray for your dear son. Your story has touched my heart like no other. Here I am in Washington state daily praying for all of you and grieving with you even though I have never met you. You feel like family to me---and of course because of Christ's death on the cross, we are family. Thank you so much for sharing all of the marvelous ways that the Lord is working through all of this. I wish you all lived next door to us so I could hug you every day. But instead I trust that the Lord's arms are tightly wrapped around your precious family. Know how loved all of you are!!

In His Love,
Lori Gellerson
Everett, Washington

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brought to tears by a beautiful story and uplifting message.

Thank you and God Bless.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!! That's awesome, Brent! I thank God for our brothers and sisters in Christ who give so unselfishly to help us all in our times of need and all to the glory of His Name. Your continuance of this blog and the stories you share about BJ have really been a tremendous blessing to my heart as well as all the others who have written in to express the same thing too. Thank you for being the kind of Dad to BJ so that BJ looked to Jesus and boldly proclaimed Him as Lord of his life to whoever would listen. I pray that our Lord would comfort you and your family during this momentary separation of fellowship with your beloved BJ. What a testimony of His grace you and your family are to the rest of the Body of Christ! Thank you for the words of wisdom, hope, and encouragement you have given to us; may the Lord richly bless you and your family with His incomparable and extraordinary tender mercies this Christmas and on into the New Year! Maranatha!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Dear Friends,

I have not written in a long time, but know that you are all in my hearts and prayers. I received the DVD of BJ's service yesterday and I look forward to "meeting" him and you all.

Your message today moved me to tears. I have experienced the power of generosity and loved it! I have been the recipient and the giver. God blessed me so when I served others in His name. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I share with you a while back that my dad was ill. It turns out he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. I was home last week to visit with him and "cheer" him up. He is not a Christian, but believes. He is not a church goer or regular prayer, but knows the power of prayer. I ask that this holiday season you remember him in your prayers. He is going through chemo and radiation at the same time and that will wipe him out. God is good and He is with us. I feel that very strongly.

This Christmas has new meaning for me as I think of BJ and all who are with Jesus to help celebrate His birthday. I continue to look forward to meeting BJ someday and worshipping with him.

Have a blessed holiday season.

In His love,

Christina in Latvia

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
Your story today touched me very deeply. It is in deeds unsung, quiet and profound that the Lord rejoices! How He keeps reminding you that your ministering is reaching others! How he keeps reminding you that BJ's love is forever felt through so many that have come to Christ or grown closer to Him through BJ and through your family. All the blessings you have bestowed upon the "blogger" family will be given back in the way of blessings to you.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent and family,
I still read your daily journals and pray for you. Your story of love and generosity today was inspirational. Thank you. Love to all,
Carla S.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How truely blessed we ALL are to know the Higgins family, whether it be personally or through this site. I'm sure I can say for many of us that we are changed forevermore by the writings, thoughts, journal entries and the heart that is so preciously unfolded and revealed to us each and every day always touched with the Father's love and grace.
Thank you once again for reminding us and showing us of the true meaning of the word Christian. This truely is an example of not only talking the talk but walking the walk and it reminds me of the scripture where Jesus tells us that if we house clothe or feed someone we are doing it for Him (my pharaphase).
May we all find ways this Christmas season to reach out to those who are lost and desperately searching and give them the opportunity to know and love our Savior.
May God continue to bless you, and hold you all in the palm of His Mighty hand.

In His Love
Linda
Shawnee,Ok

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart. Your posts continue to inspire me as I read each day. Your family is so precious to me and even more so to our Father. May God continue to pour out blessings on all of you.

Tammy
Winston-Salem, NC

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg again!!! Love you all, praying so much for you!! God IS good and He IS good all the TIME!!
Blessings from Idaho!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home