Tuesday, December 06, 2005

As I approach the Season of seasons, and reflect on our Savior, I am thankful for my family, and the provision of my God. He provides all that I need, and is always just in time. Seldom does He meet my time table, as I am always in a bigger hurry than He.
Today, I am in awe of how He has brought three such beautiful women into my life.

Each one very different from the other, but all precious, loving, and giving. The Lord has gifted them similarly. Each can sing in ways I can only dream about. Each worships my Savior in very distinct ways. Each loves me in spite of myself. My incessant teasing gets annoying, my tirless quirky humor brings about a rolling of the eyes (I wish God had not made our eyes to roll...think about how many converstations would not degenerate into painful discussions).

I understand grace better because of my loving ladies...Deanna, Lauren and Whitney.
I also, was given grace by my son... because of The Son.

One of his journal entries paints an accurate and painful picture of and encounter between the two of us. In all honesty, I expected to find far more of such entries, but this is the only one. That is grace. As a parent, so many times you make mistakes. they come far too naturally. Fortunately, so does His grace. I guess he/He realized I was trying to do the best I could...and he/He loved me.

I want to share from his 2004 Peru journal today. He writes from 1 Chronicles 28:20-21:

"Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God is with you. He will not forsake you."

"Even though many times we are weak and scared, and it seems we have nothing left in us to carry on, and God feels a 1,000,000 miles away, the question is not "Do I feel good enough to do this?" or "Am I good enough?" or even "Can I do this?" because the answer to these questons are often, "No." But God is still with us, and no matter how we feel, the question is "Will I obey?" As I learned even when you're down and don't want to get back up and can't get back up, God has called us to do a work, and therefore, we should obey, no matter what the cost. For Christ was never too tired and weak to carry a tree down a long road after being nearly beaten to death, He was never too down, even after being in so much sorrow, He cried blood, even after He was betrayed 3x by one of His best friends, to be nailed to a cross and die for us.

All work is assigned by God and is (or should be) for God, not just pastoring a church or missions, or other "church" stuff, All things should and can be done for God."


Somtimes my attitude needs adjusted by His. I am thankful He is always willing to help.

serving the King beside you,

dad

12 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still keep you in my prayers and I hope you are all doing well at school and work. Happy Holidays!!

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing to say about your "ladies". Deanna, Lauren, and Whitney, you are so fortunate to have a man in your life that is so loving, articulate with words, and not afraid to show his love and affection-even for all of us bloggers to read. How precious that is. This is a rare thing. God Bless you all!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger . said...

Dear Brent (and BJ),

Thanks for the reminder of why we do what we do.

Still praying (especially for those in your family facing the end of the semester)....

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays
Your, And BJ's, words are always encouraging. I will continue to pray for all of you.

In Christ,
Ben Hackler

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

I am always amazed at the depth of BJ's thoughts. He was such a tremendous thinker and pursuer of God. Thank you for allowing us to share in the beautiful and thought-provoking words of him. It is such a huge gift that you offer out to us, friends, family, and strangers. Thank you. Love *Kim

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for all of you.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God morning! I know I usually have a TON to say, but all I can REALLY say is THANK YOU! Blessed be the name of the Lord - in ALL circumstances!

I love you all and may the Lord bless abundantly - even more so in the dark / cold times!

In Him~

Laurel Lynn <><
San Diego, CA

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In just a few hours i will be headed to brazil. I am a sixteen year old girl, and am i little scared going to a foriegn country on a mission trip without my family. please pray for the trip and that we impact many while we are there.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I am a pastor from Lindsay, OK {Erin Springs Baptist Church} and I have been so blessed by your thoughts, your warm, caring, gracious heart that expresses so much love to God for your family... and certainly for your son, B.J. and for God's Son and His presence in your life. Thank you for allowing us to have this warm encounter with you and your family, and to see God's love. I heard about B.J. through some students here in Lindsay that were a part of an Awe Star Missions trip this past summer. If you ever want to just talk-- I would be humbled and privileged to listen and pray. in His grace, Bryan

Bryan Shaw
Erin Springs Baptist Church
Rt. 4 Box 32
Lindsay, OK 73052
405/756-2653 {Office}

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... I am so thankful for your postings. I really appreciate your sensitivity to God and His presence as you share and give to us an intimate, up-close encounter with your family and your life experiences. I heard about B.J. from several students here in Lindsay, OK that were involved in an Awe Star Missions experience this past summer. I just give God glory for you, and I see His grace, His compassion flow through your words, your thoughts expressing so much love for your son and your sweet family. Thanks for sharing and being used by God as His instrument of grace. In His grace, Bryan

Bryan Shaw
Erin Springs Baptist Church
Rt. 4 Box 32
Lindsay, OK 73052
405/756-2653

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Higgins' and Blog Family,

I posted a few days ago and am again requesting huge prayers for Baby Ryan Patrick. He was born too early and is critical condition. His parents are not even allowed to touch him. Please pray for him and his family during this very difficult time.

God bless!!

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, that's such an amazing picture..
Praying for you today.
Much Love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home