Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A dark and lonely corner of his closet holds the remnant of a summer past. A new hobby. A bow and arrow set, stands quietly in the same position left there by hands that can no longer manipulate their tension and strength.

For some reason, early this past summer, Beej decided he wanted to learn archery. With borrowed equipment from camp, he practiced for hours. Repeatedly he drew back on the arrows and flung them towards their mark. It began when we welcomed our Summer Missionaries to Highland Lakes Baptist Camp.

For fun we spent part of a day contesting each other to see who could get the closest by lofting arrows high into the air towards hula hoop targets. None of us were very good. We hit buildings, pierced a trailor roof, and in general hiked all over the clearing to retrieve our mishaps.

Beej decided to continue on with this foray. After all it was a biblical pursuit. Jonathon and David (I Samuel 20) used them, Jehoash and Elisha (II Kings 13) found their spiritual significance, why not my son? Only, I don't think we ever discussed anything biblical in regards to this weaponry. Rather, he simply honed his skill. Surprisingly or not, he got pretty good. He would run in and tell me to come check out his amazing latest shots. He would recount every detail of the position of each arrow, and how it found it's current destination.

Honestly, I remember enduring those stories...yet he was so excited to share them. I remember secretly taking those same arms and attempting to ward off raccoons, and oppossum. Mind you...I did not practice. I was not a good shot. I even studied my son a time or two and tried to learn his technique. It helped. It always helps to study the technique of someone more accomplished than you.

I realize my endeavors into study need to be a little more "on target." I promise you, I am trying. I have stopped some of the old habits. I am trying to read more in the Word, study more of its meaning, and supplement with more reading of books that point to Christ. It is truly amazing how much time you have when you stop old, bad habits.

I suppose I should pull that arsenal out of the closet, and return it to camp. There is just something about not moving things he placed, that embraces me. Perhaps the time is here when I need to take the 'placed things' in my heart, and move them to the surface where they will be useful to my Savior...or at least available for His purposes.

dad

10 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Scott Harris said...

Brent, I think my endeavors need to be more on target as well. I think it was a mistake to take 16 hours of classes. With all my classwork it has been really difficult to stay focused on God. With my last final today, I will be free until Jan 9th. I have a few ways you can pray for me...

1) Pray that I get my act together and spend more time next semester focusing on God
2) Over spring break I'm going on a mission trip to Belarus with my church

P.S. Did you get the pictures from this summer that I sent you?

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Higgins Family, What a wonderful weekend we had here in NC. I was so happy to meet you guys. Thank you sooo much for sharing with us.God's anointing is surely on all of you. I'm sure BJ is very proud of his family.
So many lives were touched.Thank you for allowing God to use you even in the midst of your unimaginable grief.
I've heard of many from this weekend who are now checking this website.What a blessing! Thank you again for continuing to share. Praying that God will continue to give comfort and healing especially during this Christmas season.
Love & Prayers,
Karen in NC

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday my 4 yr. old son asked why we can't all go to heaven to have a party for Jesus' birthday. I thought of BJ and how he was going to be there for that party!!
I continue to pray for all of your family as you continue missing BJ.
Thank you, as always, for your words of wisdom and Godliness!!

Melinda,
Fountain Valley, Ca.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to touch base and let you know you all continue to be in my prayers and I look forward to reading your postings every day.

Blessings during this difficult holiday season. Tina

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not surprising that BJ tried to perfect his shot with his bow and arrow, practicing over and over again until he felt he was getting it down. It seems he had vigor and purpose in most everything he did as a young man. The most important things that were instilled in BJ were experiences that he was led to by you and your wife through the Father and through serving his Lord, Our God. What an awesome life . . . human, and not perfect . . . until now. Now it is perfect for BJ. Let your family find a peace and comfort in knowing that BJ is complete in splendor . . . and he is with you as He is with you everyday.
Vicky Ward

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brent & Deanna,

I just wanted to offer these words of encouragement - take all the time you need to leave things the way they are! When my Gramma passed away in April, my PaPa started going through her stuff within in a week's time and it TORE me apart! He asked me for help, so I had to honor his request despite the pain it caused me inside! I felt as though we were trying to get rid of her, but I had to realize that I just needed to help him mourn the only way he knew how, he just lost his life partner for goodness sake. As I packed every item of clothing into a box, I smelled it to see if I could just have a piece of her for a short time - I put on every single piece of jewelry she owned and just pictured her in them - I hugged every one of her teddy bears that she collected, because she never had a single teddy bear in her whole childhood - My Gramma was like my Mother and she was a very large part of my world and still I cannot understand your situation because I've not lost the same way you have! But, I want to encourage you to truly take your time and let each other grieve in the way you have to grieve - I am sure with the close family you have, you all have done this, but don't feel as though you have to change anything ANY time soon! BJ will ALWAYS be with you, a MILLION people will say, but only YOU know how to deal with YOUR heart and I am thankful that you are putting it all into the Lord's hands! Blessed are those who mourn - for they will be comforted.

I'm still praying for you all - especially during this Christmas time! Lord bless you abundantly!

~Laurel Lynn <><

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Family,
I just wanted to let you know that you have given me so much strength and wisdom as I prepare to write a witness of discipleship. You son defeintly is an encouragement, and as i continue to read what and where you guys are. I am just inspired. I thank you so much for continaully sharing yourself with us. God Bless
Cathy

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent & Deanna,

Just wanted to check in & let you know that we continue to pray for all the events...haven't commented as much, but have checked in every morning.

It continues to amaze me how God uses all different avenues to bring Himself glory & call us to deeper and more intimate relationships with Him & even His body.

He is all about relationship...and it is all about His Word!!! Just was saying to a new friend that it is "daily bread" not weekly, monthly, or when we think we need it bread. Jesus is our bread of life. Everyday, as a priority, no excuses. It is so easy to let stuff get in the way...school, jobs, sweet, little babies, toddlers, teenagers, church, holidays, stuff.

How awesome it is to soak in His Word, presence, and not want to leave it for the day to day activities.

You guys are so encouraging to that end! All the glory to Him!

Praying for your strength. Praying for your ministry. Praying for your moments.

Much love to all of you,
Tammy

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you get past your anger in your grief? No matter how close my relationship has been with Christ, I can't seem to.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still praying for you and your post really has meaning to me. Happy Holidays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home