Thursday, March 30, 2006

BJ enjoyed reading different versions of scripture. It was interesting how he would get a new translation, devour it, and then share the desire for another one. I suppose as I think back, that the times were not as close together as they seem in my mind. But for such a young man, he had several different Bibles, and they are all very different.

The last one was the one he picked up in Peru, which was Spanish and English. I know he treasured it, and I am certain he used it on the field. He came home so excited about it.

Prior to that one, my mother had given him one for his last Christmas with us, in 2004. This Bible was leather bound, and very nice. The amazing thing about it is how marked up it is. He only had it to use (he did not take it to Peru) for 6 or 7 months before he passed away. From the underlining, and notes in the margin, you would have thought he had it for much longer.

He was a student of God's Word. He had a voracious appetite, and scoured the Word for Truth, for encouragement, and for God's voice for today. He would get so enthusiastic when he read. He would encounter a new understanding, and brim with anticipation to be able to share with the first person who expressed interest in hearing. We grew to recognize the body language which accompanied the "ask me what I just read or learned, tremble."

I need to be that enthusiastic when I read His Word. I need to have the kind of desire that draws me back to it, every waking moment that I can, and even sometimes when I can't.
God's Word is relevant for my circumstances today. His truth transcends dates and times, and His Holy Spirit causes me to learn new things, if I will but spend the time.

I encounter way too many Christians who believe they do not need to read the Bible. This I do not understand. I really don't. There is no way they can know how to live, or what God wants them to know or do, if they don't get submerged in the passionate writings that are the Bible.

There is no way an individual would ignore love letters from their most significant other, when they arrived. Oh they may wait until they had a moment to really focus, but let them collect dust? Not a chance! How does one justify ignoring His Word? There is only one way, really.

They begin to believe the lies of Satan. He subtly tells them they don't have time, or it isn't written for today, or it's boring, or they can do it later.

God's Word is full of just what you need. It is overflowing with what I am desperate for.

Want to fall in love? Pick it up, blow off the dust, begin to read it anew, find your way in His!

dad

7 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!!!

It is all about THE BOOK!

Not about the books about THE BOOK or what others think, say, etc. It is all about the Bible being the authority and God speaking yesterday, today, & tomorrow!

Amen, amen, amen!

Thanks Brent!

PS We were typing at the same time!!

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Amen! Thanks for the encouragement.
Mark, OH

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN. Thank you for the reminder.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Pastor Kevin said...

When Jesus was being tempted by the devil after His 40 day fast in the wilderness, one of those temptations was for Him to turn a stone into bread. Jesus' response was: "man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4 and Luke 4:4) By this scripture, we get our life in Christ through His Word - both written for us and spoken to us...

His Word is life...

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET THIS POINT ACROSS TO ME FOR A LONG TIME. HE SAYS MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. WHERE IT IS IN THE BIBLE I DON'T KNOW. THANKS FOR THE CONFIRMATION, THE CONVICTION AND THE ENCOURAGEMENT. THIS BLOG HAS HELPED ME WALK THE LINE ALOT BETTER. THANKS FOR ALL THE SPIRITUAL AND PARENTAL INSIGHT.

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent first I want to congratulate you on your ordination..I want to tell you that today as I was reading my daily devotional in the Sonrise Daily Devotional Bible {I am a couple of Days behind in my reading} While I was reading Day 85.. Luke 2:25-52 the Lord brought BJ to mind because he was not much older than Jesus when He was the age of 12 and growing in wisdom and stature and about His Fathers business. That was BJ. Searching Gods Word. Growing in wisdom and stature and he was about HIS FATHERS business. To GOD be the Glory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home