Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I am in awe of our God and how He works and moves in our lives. Truly He is high and exalted. Even now, after writing the first two lines, our state executive director came to me and began to pray for my family. How incredible to begin the day with others who love Christ with all of their hearts.

Then, another from our state office came and handed me a book on coping and "Experiencing Grief." Our Lord moves in the hearts of His people to bring comfort and direction, just as He has through each of you readers, and pray-ers. How beautiful are you in the sight of the Lord.

I want to share with you a writing of Beej's from a couple of years ago. One he did for school. The topic was often provided, this one he produced, then it was for him to write...and he did:

"Don't look down on anyone, only God sits that high."

"Today arrogance is almost considered virtuous, with pride and utter confidence in oneself. People are encouraged to think so highly of themselves that most of conversation is arguing over who is better. Of course, I am not exempt from this, but the difference between myself and many others is that I see my pride and conceit as what it is: a character flaw.

One of my teachers once said to a boy in my class that she wished that she was as confident as he, and she applauded him, but it was not just confidence that he was showing that she displayed as virtuous, it was unconditional arrogance of "I can do anything and everything better than anyone and everyone."

Only God sits that high.

Certainly, confidence is often a positive and necessary thing, but too much confidence in oneself is pride and arrogance. The ultimate goal and purpose of human beings is to worship God. Pride is not just arrogance, it is any extra attention paid or drawn to oneself, and so away from God. Not only is this a sin against God, it is only hurting yourself. For we humans, who seek by nature, fulfillment and purpose, are most fulfilled and whole when living out our purpose- when worshipping God. Not only this, but also being naturally evil and imperfect, constantly failing, would only be deceiving ourselves to bring attention to ourselves to exalt outrselves or think ourselves greater than another. For however high we put ourselves, we will fall that much farther whenever we fail."


He often struggled with pride issues, and fought hard to deny himself and bring glory to God. He was not perfect. He had many failures. However, his life points to Christ even now, and for that, I glorify my God for raising His own Spirit in him.

Praise Jesus!

dad

8 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not read the blog for a few days but I just want to let you know I am always blessed by what I read and I know others are also. May God's comfort brood over you during this season. BJ tell Jesus Happy Birthday for me!!!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent and Deanna,

Thank you for raising such a wonderful son. Many of his writings reinforce that his story is modern day David and Goliath. BJ never backed down. He spread the word of Jesus without fear. It did not matter if he was on the streets of Peru or sitting in a class in school. Every day it is more evident that our school systems are a battle field for believers. Jonathan lost a good friend and role model when BJ died. I thank you for continuing to share BJ's words so that we can all continue to learn and be encouraged. What a blessing to all who read this site.

Love,
Kathy

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So often, I say and think and write spiritually, but act very different. I know others share this difficulty. I truly want to walk the walk and talk the talk and be so real and true to it, like BJ. We are not meant to be perfect, but we do need to be responsible Christians living the Word, not just using it. My prayer today is - as BJ stated - that each of us put our pride down, put our lives down for those who truly are in need . . . not just of things like food and clothing, but for the need of Christ in their life . . .

Reach out. Especially to those in spiritual need.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That excerpt of BJ's was amazing. I'm going to copy it for my youth class. I think it has tons to say and explore. Thank you for the continued encouragement and insight! Thinking of you.

Angela, Merom IN

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't come to this site as often as I have but I know that I am to continue to come and read what your family is going through. I feel like my life is falling apart but I know that I am not to get down because I am in not as much pain as you all have been. Reading your entries about how you all make it day by day, it just makes me want to grow closer to Christ and to wish that I could actually meet you all one day. I wisht that I could have had the opportunity to meet BJ in person but I know that one day I will meet him in Heaven. I just want to thank you all for continuing your site. It really encourages me. I will pray for you all as it draws closer and closer to Christmas time. I pray that you will feel the love of Christ this Christmas season. I pray that you will be reminded of BJ and those memories will help you to stay strong and to feel loved.

In Christ,
Mallory

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mallory-(previous comment)
Thank you for writing. I will be praying for you and whatever situation you are in....know that all who visit this site are here for the purpose of glorifying God and upholding each other in His love. May you have a blessed christmas.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are such an amazing family; a blessing to everyone who has a chance to continue reading your posts. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the time that you take to share, to truly minister to each of us who continue to be touched and taught by your blog. Our Father is continuing His good work through each of you.

God bless you always.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Higgins family,

This is Liz, one of Brents friends from Carmel. I read Bj's last journal entry today, i dont really know why, but i felt compelled to do so. I've read it a few times before, but today it really spoke to me. His amazing faith brings me inspiration to strengthen my faith and my relationship with Jesus. Bj continues to inspire me each day, as do you. Thanks to you and Bj for being a source of strength for me. Praying for you. Merry Christmas!

~Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home