Tuesday, January 31, 2006

BJ loved to laugh. The intensity that often came through in his personality, sometimes shielded this fact. His laugh was infectious, and unique. When he would erupt, it drew others... especially his mother and me, into the folly.

When the kids were young, for one April Fool's day, I decided to try to "get" them. I pulled out their two favorite cereals and switched the contents. Then just to make sure they knew they had been had, I did the same to the milk and orange juice. It was foolish not to take pictures of the result.

The initial expressions were followed by double takes to both the boxes and pitchers. They were more than worth the small effort that went into the prank. Ultimately, when they heard the words, "April Fools!" the giddy laughter replaced the sleepy confusion that had overtaken them. I was promptly swarmed and beaten by little fists.

BJ never forgot this. Each year, he would try to outprank his first experience. Honestly, unknown to him, most of his attempts were truly 'old school.' I never really tried hard after that year. In my mind, I would never be able to outdo what had been accomplished on an early morning whim.

His best attempt came about two years ago. He had heard some "new ideas" at school. "New ideas" work on unsuspecting, otherwise occupied, too busy to notice, parents.

Perhaps I should have noticed him lurking around every corner, waiting for the payoff. I was busy... doing nothing... but busy. Then it happened. I stood at the kitchen sink to rinse a mug. I was too involved in the mundane to notice the obvious. Upon lifting the faucet handle to release it's flow, I was overwhelmed by a stream of water I could not identify. Volcanic laughter burst forth from around the corner! He had taken a rubber band, secured it around the sink sprayer trigger, and aimed it perfectly at the position of the unsuspecting user. By the time I gathered my bearings, and figured out what was happening, I was drenched!

The chase was on! We covered every inch of that home as he tried to escape my rather moist demeanor. It's amazing how long it takes to figure out what has just happened, as the water continues to dampen your experience. Whatever I did to him, was not close to the victory he had achieved.

Fortunately, my suspicions were now raised, and I saw the plastic wrap stretched tightly over the toilet... just in time!

Yes, those "old tricks," were new to him, and brought great satisfaction.

That jovial spirit naturally entered into most of his relationships. He brought joy to many, and seemed to have an affinity for when and where it was needed. Because of his love for Jesus, and obedience to Him, he also showed how to have an eternal relationship, to those who had been without. Their joy is now complete in the most important way.

"Jesus wept," but I am sure he also laughs!

dad

17 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for showing the other side of BJ. You are so blessed to have such a "fun" family. Thanks also for continuing to post daily, it has brought many blessings to me and I'm sure all that read it. One of the first things I do when I turn on my computer for the day is go to this site. Many days I cry reading your tender words, but today I laughed....thank you Brent.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.
You have put a smile on my face and brought back a few memories of pranks in the past. Oh, including an ongoing prank the boys shared in the past.
They would hide eachothers Bibles before going to church, then BJ would sneek the Bibles out in his overnight bag, insisting to get going and offering to share his Bible at church.
The first few times, Jack was not onto the prank. He would find his Bible at church and think he had left it there. Confused by his own forgetfulness. Eventualy he figured this out, without telling BJ, then reversed the prank on BJ his next visit. I pray with you Family.
I pray you are receiving more peace in your hearts and an abundance of strength..You are Bessing all of us with so much you share. I am very greatful for the inspiration you bring to me and so many others.
Thank you.
your friend and
sister in Christ
Lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog today made me laugh! It brings to mind my husband who is always playing tricks or jumping out to scare unsuspecting victims. He too did the sprayer thing with me several years ago! I was drenched. As soon as I realized what was happening I decided I was going to "get him" so I proceeded to grab a glass to fill with water to throw on him. I turned on the water full force to fill the cup, only to drench myself AGAIN because I hadn't taken the rubber band off the sprayer! It's good to bring back the great memories! Thank you for bringing laughter to my day today. You are always in my prayers.

Your sister in Christ,
Shelly
Noblesville, Indiana

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the laughter today...I wonder how many readers' family members will be sprayed tomorrow????!!!!

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying for you this day, as i do every day. i am so grateful that you have days where you are able to laugh and days where you allow yourself to break down. i will continue to lift up your healing and grieving process. praise be to god for all he has done and is doing through your beautiful family.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this funny story. It "showered" me with blessings! Still thinking about all of you and praying for you as you grieve and continue on through the healing process.

Toodie

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for you in Arlington, TX. Appreciate your continued prayers for my 69 year old mother, Esther, who continues her chemo treatments for breast cancer. Her body is getting pounded by all this poison, and she is having a tough time with depression, etc. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who is willing to pray for her mental health, as well as for her physical health!

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that....how funny! Good thing you saw the plastic wrap first!! Oh my what a mess that would have been!
I remember a prank my brother pulled on us. He put these little while "poppers" under the toilet seat. I of course got it first and freaked because I thought I broke the toilet. And then, after being gotten, I thoroughly enjoyed waiting for mom to be gotten! Too much fun!

Thanks for showing Bj's funny side!

Love to all~

Linda Anderson
Willows, California

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brought a huge smile to my face! Thanks for continuing with the blog and the great testimony you share.
Love,
Jenny Allison
Bristow OK

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember bj's laugh! it truly was infectious! i hope everyone is doin good and i was at school the other day and no lie there were like five people wearing bj shirts!! God has truly used bj to reach hundreds! god bless you all!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, I live in Greenville,TX. I will pray for you and your mother Esther. Thank you Lord for this site and a body of believers who love and pray for each other and have a connectedness that only those in Christ can know. Amen

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to laugh today. It has been a tough couple of days. Several family members are having health issues and I found out my teenage son is going to be a father. I'm sure there is a purpose for all of these and I look to our Lord for strength, guidance and understanding. Please pray that the baby will be healthy - that my son will be responsible and that I will be a great, happy grandma (OH MY)

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the much needed smiles today. It is such a blessing to see your joy as you draw from your memories and recount them so well, to us, your blog family. Continuing to lift you to the Lord in prayer.
I hate to have to keep asking for prayers, but would you all remember us tomorrow. It's Hollie's 16th birthday and the first one that I haven't been with her. I'm not sure who it is going to be hardest for, her or I. I just know that this mum miss's her baby girl so much, problems and all.

In His Love
Linda
Shawnee, Ok

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounded so fun!!! My family really needs to have more fun like that. We get so caught up in our lives and just "raising" them that we go so long inbetween laughing together. My husband is the stepfather to two out of 3 of my children. He used to have so much fun with them and now just seems to be more frustrated and more of a dictator than anything anymore. He blames work...I think we just need a vacation! hahaha
Anyway, thanks for the uplifting message today and may we find a way to laugh with our kids more often!!!!!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWO MEANS TROUBLE.
You have two kids who are 14 months apart, how cute, they look alot alike.
Link to this site: spiritual parenting
http://www.parenting-faq.info/

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the informative blog. Hanoverian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home