Saturday, January 21, 2006

My family is a "hugging" family. I have always been given hugs, and I enjoy giving them. I am thankful for a wife and children who are receptive to this. Each is different in their need and approach to giving and receiving them.

Deanna and I frequently embrace. Sometimes it includes more, sometimes not. Our children grew up watching this, and sometimes getting embarassed by it. Beej especially would do so... for some reason, so did our dog. They both reacted similarly. Although, I believe Dakota (the dog) was jealous, both he and BJ were vocal when they saw it.

At times, Beej would come and try to get between us. On other occassions, he would fold his hands up under his chin, flash a "not in front of me" embarassed grin, and groan. We enjoyed doing this just to evoke his reaction.

Lauren grew up desiring to have hugs once in a while. When she needs one, she wants a secure, "make me feel better," long, tight embrace. She usually accompanies it with an "I love you."

Whitney has always sought them frequently. There is safety, and shared compassion in her need. For that moment, the world is shielded from her heart, and cannot penetrate her weakness. I often lift her off of the floor.

BJ's hugs were always stronger and longer than most guys are comfortable with. He, like his sisters, was very loving. The breadth of his heart was enormous for such small stature. He would often snug up close to me during the most mundane of activities.

Unfortunately, one of the struggles I now have, is the memory of how many times I "pushed him away," during one of those moments. He learned to be "physical" by example, and yet I sent him a mixed message. I always had a reason. "It's too hot, and we're sticking together," or "I am trying to do something, and you're impeding my progress."

As much as I loved him, too many times I did not embrace his embrace.

I regretted it in the moment, and I regret it now. I ache to be able to hold him again, and tell him how much I love him. I wish I could understand my reaction. I wish I could justify my reaction. I wish I could go back and do it all over again.

I know he knew I loved him. I know he felt many embraces from me. I just long for one more. One more time to say "I love you" without using words.

I often find myself asking my Heavenly Father to close him in His grasp for me. Oh how I hope He does so.

I am thankful for the grace I have in Christ for past, present, and future failures.
I am so appreciative of His embrace each and every moment of my need.

If you have never made a decision, while under His conviction, to make Him Lord of your life, I do not know how you would ever endure pain, suffering or loss. Our God of compassion draws us near in our hurt. Don't reject His embrace if you sense it. Receive it, and be changed.

dad

Christal M. we want very much to see the finished product!
Laura O. what a blessing your writing is. We love it over the picture! We would like to have that picture by itself as well, if you can e-mail it! bahiggins1259@msn.com

12 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love getting hugs and giving them too, and I have also done as you, Brent, been too busy, or way too hot. Thank you for opening my eyes and seeing that nothing else is more important, to the giver and receiver, than a loving hug.

God bless you and may He continue to fill you with peace and joy.

Linda Anderson
Willows, California

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this - I too find myself pushing my children away sometimes and regretting it moments later but still doing it. I will push past whatever resistance (what is this?) and hold them a little longer, cherish the moment. Your blogs have been so valuable to me in my relationship with my children, and I thank you for sharing so openly time and time again. God bless you and your entire family!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger . said...

Brent,

Thanks for sharing about hugs today! It was very timely for me.

I was NOT a hugger growning up. I'm not sure why, but as a child, hugs made me uncomfortable. How blessed I have been to have a "huggy" husband and "huggy" kids!

My 10 year old especially enjoys what we call "magnet hearts." He and I are absolutely convinced that when we hug, we can feel our hearts physically pull toward each other like two powerful magnets!

He also gives what he calls "healthy hugs"--a therapy he reserves for people he sees are not feeling well, physically or emotionally. There does seem to be some kind of God-given healing power you can feel in his "healthy hugs!"

Thanks again for reminding me to cherish every one of these sweaty, sticky, "intruding" hugs for what they are...gifts from God!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger . said...

P.S. I'm still praying....

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all have times, especially as parents, that we wish we would have handled a situation differently -- It is when you share that we realize we need to stop what we are doing and let the children have our undivided attention and unconditional love (whether hot, sticky or just tired). Thank you for bringing it to the forefront again how important it is to love our children and stop when it really matters!!

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as u have brought me to tears once again, i want u to know i pray for u everynight before i fall asleep. thank you for your encoraging words everyday.
lizzy-KC MO

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last two posts have spoken volumes to our family. We have a son who has a mental illness and although we pray that he will come to live a normal life, we also pray for the people he will come into contact with as he grows older. One of the outcomes of this whole "disability" is that he doesn't "get" social cues. So, this big 13 year old will desire to have a hug, or sit on a lap at any time. It has made us uncomfortable at times, or we have found ourselves rushing through the hug or getting up to get something. Now, as he's putting his 150 lb body in my lap or wrapping his arms around me a prayer of thanks to God for this child's life and for his future will be my way of "dealing with it".

We pray for you often. Can you be specific for how we can be praying for your trip this summer?
Thanks!
Katie and Lucy's mom

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I continue to read your postings. I'm still praying for you all, and I love you all very very much.

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers. I often get chills thinking about how God has used this site in so many lives, including my own. It has brought conviction at times and at others has been a source of spiritual encouragement. I praise the Lord for seeing fit to use a blog site to bring together believers for prayer. Thank you Higgins family for maintaining this ministry the Lord has given you.
with much love,
Brynden

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my cat loved to jump on thhe dryer when i did lauundry. the last time i pushed her down ( i needed room/was busy). she woke up the next morning dying of cancer-we had to put her to sleep immediately-she had not shown signs of sickness.thank bj for teaching you a lesson. you'll never miss opportunities again with family,friends,strangers. life is about learning lessons. if we didn't need anymore lessons, we could be in heaven. don't be hard on yourself-but i know it hurts-i remember that moment with "garcia"so vividly.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I often find myself asking my Heavenly Father to close him in His grasp for me. Oh how I hope He does so."

Of course, He is. . .

In Christ,
Lori
Zionsville, IN

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ya doing Pray for BJ, Hope you are having a good day. Your this post site is most interesting. I was looking for prayer for life related information when I came across it. Thanks for the read. I have a site that may interest you come and visit sometime, prayer for life thanks again, take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home